Huggarn's Windows Config

huggarn

Thread author
Jan 23, 2015
Usually Glasswire tells me if something is going on with system then I can look deeper into issues as I never heard of AV that would protect from everything.

Reactions: tonibalas

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Thank you for sharing your configuration, hugarn.
I've used Zemana Anti-logger which I'd received shortly after joining this site. I liked it a lot, and did not realize the developers also offered a realtime anti-malware. A free on demand scanner you can also try is called Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. By being on demand, it should be compatible with what you already use.
There is also a free Anti-Exploit by the same developers which protects against zero day threats.
I use your two extensions, and would suggest using the popularly used password manager LastPass which uses encryption security and also provides options for logging onto sites with added safety and greater ease.
Rather than going on, I'll leave some other items for some whom are more experienced and wiser than myself.;)
Thanks again for sharing, and let us know your impressions of the items above.

Last edited:
S

Sr. Normal

Hi @huggarn

Like @frogboy , I recommend that you enable UAC .

I would recommend Wot and Ghostery extensions.

The first is an extension that indicates the reputation of a page , adding a layer of security to your navigation.
The second is an extension to prevent crawlers , so you'll have a faster and private browsing . NO activate Ghost Rank

If @tonibalas were here now , he would recommend a second browser if fail Firefox. He recommend that you use one based on Chrome and would SlimJet .
He convinced me and now my default browser and I am more than satisfied

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/wot-safe-browsing-tool/?src=hp-dl-mostpopular

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ghostery/?src=search

http://www.slimjet.com/en/

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
was the configuration you are using right now the same you used winthin 3 months ago when you had your last infection?
Still recommended to have UAC enabled if the above is the case.

Unusual choice in going with Glasswire Firewall, granted it is still in Beta. When I did take it for a test run, its usage was over the roof and it has not yet been addressed since the latest beta version happens to be the one I used.

huggarn

Thread author
Jan 23, 2015
Thanks for replies and additional knowledge.

@Cats-4_Owners-2

I was considering using LastPass in the past, I think its the time to start doing it.

As for MBAM and other Malwarebytes software I'm using it from time to time, especially when cleaning somebody's PC.

@frogboy
I do not feel like I need UAC as most of the time, it's mostly annoying to me.
As for backup I used to use Norton Ghost until I got Windows 8, never really needed backup though.

@Sr. Normal
Ghostery seems like good choice, testing it right now, while WoT is something I do not like to use.
My default browser choice was always Firefox, mostly for its extensions, I don't really feel like changing it anytime, never failed me. AIso I have all others installed just in case.

@Inkurax
I had no Zemana AntiLogger and AntiExpoit back then, but infection was caused by myself and preety much controlled. I was testing various AV software and now I'm convinced that no software will help you if you simply click without reading.

Glasswire is more like traffic control application to me as it shows me precisely which process connected where and when, that was all I needed. It also has shown me that I was infected by something that used System account to send 150 B of data to various hosts around the world that was most probably caused by qBitTorrent installation in the past, simplest solution was disabling IPv6, still don't know what was that and how to completly remove it.

huggarn

Thread author
Jan 23, 2015
I usually test new Windows as it comes avaliable as DevPreview, this time I did not for few reasons. One of them was known mouse problem in games, another one were changes to Start Menu. I think the one we get in W8 is best so far and I disliked changes they made in 8.1

I have no idea why so many people hate Moden UI, for me it's best thing that happend so far.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Unless you are right clicking to run as Admin, the UAC prompt shouldn't appear that often. For example, Web browsers nowadays can be installed without admin rights.

"Annoying" is possibly one of the worst excuses.

Did you have UAC enabled when you were infected? Testing samples should be performed in an isolated environment, most people know this, "Advanced user"?

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Thanks for replies and additional knowledge.

@Cats-4_Owners-2
I was considering using LastPass in the past, I think its the time to start doing it.

As for MBAM and other Malwarebytes software I'm using it from time to time, especially when cleaning somebody's PC.

@frogboy
I do not feel like I need UAC as most of the time, it's mostly annoying to me.
As for backup I used to use Norton Ghost until I got Windows 8, never really needed backup though.

@Sr. Normal
Ghostery seems like good choice, testing it right now, while WoT is something I do not like to use.
My default browser choice was always Firefox, mostly for its extensions, I don't really feel like changing it anytime, never failed me. AIso I have all others installed just in case.

@Inkurax
I had no Zemana AntiLogger and AntiExpoit back then, but infection was caused by myself and preety much controlled. I was testing various AV software and now I'm convinced that no software will help you if you simply click without reading.

Glasswire is more like traffic control application to me as it shows me precisely which process connected where and when, that was all I needed. It also has shown me that I was infected by something that used System account to send 150 B of data to various hosts around the world that was most probably caused by qBitTorrent installation in the past, simplest solution was disabling IPv6, still don't know what was that and how to completly remove it.

Hi, huggarn. I hope you like LastPass as much as my family does.:)
I think someone already suggested our malware removal forum, but I'll repeat it again here just so you can completely remove the infection. http://malwaretips.com/forums/malware-removal-assistance.10/

I'll also chime in about UAC.;) Please, try to bring yourself to make use of this effective built in protection. It completes your system's security, and works to protect you far more effectively than most of us truly realize. Recently, I'd changed it's setting from "Always Notify me..." to "Notify me only when apps try to make changes...Never notify me when I make changes", which works far better for me.:)
In UAC, the U stands for user and not useless,:rolleyes: & the "A", believe it or not, stands for "Activated", not annoying lol!!!:p:D
To protect yourself while freely <clicking>, sandbox when browsing with Firefox by using Sandboxie.
Unless you have a separate computer available for testing, conduct your experiments in virtual machines. Oracle's Virtual Box is free and quite easy to learn. Read about it on the safe site Softpedia..
..but download it from the developer..
..which is another safe practice.:cool:

huggarn

Thread author
Jan 23, 2015
@Huracan I did read HowTo from this part of forum and I met "Advanced user" requirements, so I set it up however I do not think I'm really advanced. Though most of the time I know what I'm doing.

@Cats-4_Owners-2
I remember there was interview with Windows developer who said that UAC was meant to annoy ;) http://arstechnica.com/security/2008/04/vistas-uac-security-prompt-was-designed-to-annoy-you/

I did turn it on for time being. Still getting asked 10 times if I want to permit an installer to modify registry is annoying.

Reactions: tonibalas

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
*Laughing* ..after reading the revealing story about what was quoted back when it was Vista!;):D Maybe it really should have Clint Eastwood's voice:cool: saying "Do you feel lucky, Punk??".

I guess we can agree: "Mission accomplished!!",:p:D and now you have it activated.:) That's great. UAC in Windows 8 also protects silently
..but 10 times, really?o_O That does sound like a lot. This brings me to wonder, maybe there is something not quite right about using some installers out there.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.