Advice Request I bought a Backup Drive: What do I do with it?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KokoKid

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Sep 27, 2015
So I bought a Toshiba Canvio HardDisk, and I have no idea how to backup everything on my PC including system files, as well as making it bootable. Now I know I can google it and so forth, BUT...

My real question is since I have 3 PCs, can I backup EVERYTHING on ALL 3 PCS and have 3 bootable PC's on 1 harddisk?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: upnorth

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
I would recommend that you run the setup that's located on the Toshiba Canvio HardDisk just to make sure if it includes any backup software and start from there. If not you could always use Windows built in backup option. See video:

The exact option for your setup is not 100% included in the video but it should hopefully help you on the correct path. Backup everything on 1 hdd is normaly just a matter of space on the selected hdd and also name the backups correct. Good luck! :)

KokoKid

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Sep 27, 2015
I would recommend that you run the setup that's located on the Toshiba Canvio HardDisk just to make sure if it includes any backup software and start from there. If not you could always use Windows built in backup option. See video:

The exact option for your setup is not 100% included in the video but it should hopefully help you on the correct path. Backup everything on 1 hdd is normaly just a matter of space on the selected hdd and also name the backups correct. Good luck! :)

Will this become a bootable backup?

D

Deleted member 178

Im using external HDDs just to copy all my valuable datas on it and a backup from Windows Backup.

Reactions: KokoKid

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
You may conduct a partition and put an enough amount of storage for backup. Or you may conduct system image backup as a handy way to restore snapshot efficiently.

Reactions: Raul90 and KokoKid

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
I would suggest you use Macrium Reflect or Aomei Backupper both have a very good free version and make a bootable USB to boot from and you will be covered for any dramas you will encounter. ;)

KokoKid

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Sep 27, 2015
How long would it take to backup a 200GB system on Aomei Backupper?

KokoKid

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Sep 27, 2015
And how can I boot into it if I have trouble with my PC? (e.g. Blue Screen of Death, Infinite Reboot Loop, etc)

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Create a bootable media with Aomei on a USB drive. It is in the tools section of the software.

Edit. In the utilities section.

Reactions: KokoKid

KokoKid

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Sep 27, 2015
Having a bit of trouble with the bootable media, whenever it says completed Windows asks me to format the USB drive, resulting in nothing on it. Will upload video soon.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
If you do not wish to use the pre-bundled software, delete it. You can use your new external HDD straight away.

You can create a System Image from Windows, without additional software.

Open Services (Run > services.msc) and validate that File History Service is running.
Search "create a system image" or "file history", look for System Image Backup.
Select the destination (external HDD).
Click on Next and choose C:\ and EFI System Partition (if visible).
To confirm, click Next and then Start Backup.​

From your video, you have no partitions set-up to separate your OS from Documents/Personal files.

If you are able to (and experienced enough), you can partition your internal HDD to 2 partitions; one for C:\ (OS and Program Files etc) and one for D:\ (personal files, downloads etc).

Then when you create a system image backup, you can backup the OS without needing over 200GB of space. The OS itself it usually less than 30GB.
Your files can also be backed up, but independent of the Operating System.

KokoKid

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Sep 27, 2015
If you do not wish to use the pre-bundled software, delete it. You can use your new external HDD straight away.

You can create a System Image from Windows, without additional software.

Open Services (Run > services.msc) and validate that File History Service is running.
Search "create a system image" or "file history", look for System Image Backup.
Select the destination (external HDD).
Click on Next and choose C:\ and EFI System Partition (if visible).
To confirm, click Next and then Start Backup.​

From your video, you have no partitions set-up to separate your OS from Documents/Personal files.

If you are able to (and experienced enough), you can partition your internal HDD to 2 partitions; one for C:\ (OS and Program Files etc) and one for D:\ (personal files, downloads etc).

Then when you create a system image backup, you can backup the OS without needing over 200GB of space. The OS itself it usually less than 30GB.
Your files can also be backed up, but independent of the Operating System.
How may I partition my system? That seems like a great idea. Although I have never experienced with that before, I do think I should do it.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Well you could play soccer or American football with your backup hard-drive, or if you really do not know what to do with it try setting it on fire i am sure it will give a nice warm feeling.
All jokes aside you could backup your important files or use the backup drive to run your programs from that do not need to be on your pc 24/7 saves you space and resources.

Cheers

Reactions: XhenEd

KokoKid

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Sep 27, 2015

Video Still Processing. That's my problem right there.

Just checked right now, there is a giveway partition application on the giveaway section of the forums. Will try that out.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
T

Video Still Processing. That's my problem right there.

Just checked right now, there is a giveway partition application on the giveaway section of the forums. Will try that out.

That is weird, have you tried to boot from it because mine looks empty but i can still boot from it. Have you tried a different USB ?

Last edited:

KokoKid

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Sep 27, 2015
T

That is weird, have you tried to boot from it because mine looks empty but i can still boot from it. Have you tried a different USB ?
I was able to have a Linux usb, which should be more than enough. Still having trouble with setting up partitions though.

HEY, AM I ABLE TO SHRINK THE DRIVE MORE THAN 5000MB?

Last edited:

KokoKid

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Sep 27, 2015
Okay I got the partition going. However after like 10min it says "There is not enough space available on the disk(s) to complete this operation"

I wanted to make a 200GB partition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.