Guide | How To I Can't Figure This Out?

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

rodm177

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 21, 2014
I have several (tons actually) of folders in my D: drive. And several files in each folder.

For example I have a folder named Admuncher and in that folder I have several copies of the Admuncher exe file (like version admunch.exe v1.42, v1.48, v1.52, v1.56, v1.59, and v 2.0...

Now sometimes the version number is not even visible until you go to install it, so sometimes the files might just be visible as admunch, but I have several of them in the folder, all different versions of course.

Now imagine that in hundreds of folders with different software applications, accumulated over the years.

I do not want to go thru all those folders manually.

There must be a way to have the D: drive scanned and have the newest version (exe) left in the folder and all the old ones deleted.

Any ideas?

Thanks

ald4

Level 1
Verified
Sep 16, 2014
Search for Admuncher on D using Windows search, once you get results sort it by date/name(whatever will make sense in your case) ctrl+a then deselect the one you want to leave and press delete.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

rodm177

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 21, 2014
Ald4 thanks for the reply.

I know where admuncher is on D:

BUT as I said in the post I have hundreds of folders that are full of exe's that are the same, yet different versions.

It's not that I can't find them...

It's that I don't want to open each one and select 4 of the oldest and leave the 5th one which is newest (this is just an example).

That would take forever...

There must be software that will do this kind of thing, right?

ald4

Level 1
Verified
Sep 16, 2014
That's why you should sort the search results by date of creation/modification.
This will show you most recent files and usually most recent one is the newest version.

rodm177

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 21, 2014
search results by date of creation/modification.
This will show you most recent files and usually most recent one is the newest version.

But do I have to scan each folder or can I scan the whole drive at once?

Šovelén

Level 3
Verified
Mar 29, 2014
I iittle wonder, what's solved here ...

Yes, if you have a mess and duplicity on your computer, explore it some software to find duplicate files and delete them. CCleaner for example...
Personally, i recommend (if you got there that waste years) back up essential and subsequently ...

Format d: /q ;)

rodm177

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 21, 2014
Do you need those .exe especially the older version to be retained?

Actually I just make a brief research, seems nothing as implemented these type of thing. (unless I miss something)

NO I'm only interested in the newest one

juhful

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
Laugh out loud. So a I am going to do this manually one file at a time? That is what I am trying to avoid.
You said you just wanted the newest version, so delete everything in the folder and get the latest. It seems pretty simple to me. Some things you may actually have to do them yourself. So delete all is one click and download is one click, two clicks should do it per folder lol

rodm177

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 21, 2014
IF anyone else wonders about doing this. It looks like the following software will function to find older files:

The Read me file says: "
CloneSpy can help you free up hard drive space by detecting and removing
duplicate files. Duplicate files have exactly the same contents regardless of
their name, date, time and location. Also, CloneSpy is able to find files that
are not exactly identical, but have the same file name. Perhaps you have
different versions of a file and you want to find all of them and remove the
older versions."

I haven't used it yet, so I am not sure how to make the software do this, but it makes the claim, and it's free software, so I assume they are being honest.

rodm177

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 21, 2014
That's why you should sort the search results by date of creation/modification.

Going to see if the options offer your advice....

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I haven't used it yet, so I am not sure how to make the software do this, but it makes the claim, and it's free software, so I assume they are being honest.

Tested this briefly, perhaps may solve to your problem but again there's an option to view those files which need to conduct a research to delete the older versions.

dkAhpU8.jpg

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.