Status
Not open for further replies.

SherKaan

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Mar 17, 2014
Hello everyone!

Thought I'd share this bad experience of mine with a security firewall which I have used for such a long period of time without any issues whatsoever. And it was also a piece of software which I always have praised for its effectiveness and toughness.

Yesterday, I decided to finally downgrade to Windows 7 from 8.1 for some software compatibility issues (360 IS is incompatible with Update 1). After installing all the drivers and necessary software, it was time for me to install Windows Updates. It searched for like 144 Updates, and then began the updating process. After all the Updates were downloaded, it started the installation process, but after some time, I figured out instantly that something was wrong and the installation was taking way too long. The CF was blocking some process/service which was the root cause of all evil. I had to manually tell CF to trust the file and let it run with full authority, but the pop-up kept coming up from time to time which was weird given the fact that I already had given the nod to trust it. But still, I gave it more than enough time to complete and went to sleep. After I woke up early in the morning, I got stunned to see that the installation process was still stuck at "installing update 22/144," and the same process/service was being blocked/sandboxed by CF over and over again which didn't let the task complete.

Now, what I still fail to understand is, that how come a top firewall like Comodo act so dumb or stupid that it's not even recognizing Microsoft's legit files anymore? Fair enough, if the files are unknown, then it must block or sandbox them immediately. But it should never ever be interfering with Windows Updates in the first place. This is really so disappointing. It wasted so much of my precious time and crippled my system to the point where I had to do a clean install again today.

Now, I'll never ever be using it again in the near future or at all. Because to me, CF has become a pretty dumb piece of software.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ink and Mateotis

SherKaan

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Mar 17, 2014
That's...weird. Especially from (like you said) a product like Comodo. :eek:

Yes, no security product must be interfering with "Windows Update." That's totally unacceptable and unforgiving, as far as I am concerned.

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
It's using 27,000-28,000k memory & i feeling it's light on my system. I used comodo before so startup time is same for both. It's get 340//340 in my HIPS prevention test & it's HIPS is quit effective & it's gives HIPS alert too but don't give so much HIPS alert like CF . Free version is lack of registry & file protection plus banking mode. You don't need banking protection coz it's block mostly unnecessary websites & have phishing protection i guess. u can use lastpass to bookmark ur banking/online shopping site for protection. and for registry & file protection, Qihoo is included them already.

SherKaan

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Mar 17, 2014
It's using 27,000-28,000k memory & i feeling it's light on my system. I used comodo before so startup time is same for both. It's get 340//340 in my HIPS prevention test & it's HIPS is quit effective & it's gives HIPS alert too but don't give so much HIPS alert like CF . Free version is lack of registry & file protection plus banking mode. You don't need banking protection coz it's block mostly unnecessary websites & have phishing protection i guess. u can use lastpass to bookmark ur banking/online shopping site for protection. and for registry & file protection, Qihoo is included them already.

Does it interfere with WU and legit files?

jacemace

Level 1
Apr 17, 2014
Reactions: Koroke San

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Anytime you need to install a lot of Windows Update it is always best to temporary uninstall any HIPS product.
I have experience the same thing in the past with Comodo, Online Armor, Malware Defender, Privatefirewall, PC Tools Firewall and Threatfire. HIPS products will interfere and cause failed updates, disabling them usually will not solve the problems.

Thanks. :D

D

Deleted member 178

totally agree with Littlebits; also some files belonging to the updates are not signed by Microsoft so the HIPS kicks-in and block them.

SherKaan

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Mar 17, 2014
also some files belonging to the updates are not signed by Microsoft so the HIPS kicks-in and block them.

No, that's not true. The files which it was sand boxing over and over again were both signed by Microsoft.

Last edited:

nimd4

Level 1
Mar 30, 2014
The CF was blocking some process/service which was the root cause of all evil.
Sounds like you were/are using CIS (w/application control) and not (just) the firewall. Btw., Comodo w/full prompts and 'Custom Ruleset' firewall can't be beat.

oeof8HN2.png

UKdL0SwC.png

^^ Only way to use it, in manual mode - as a rule-based firewall. ;-$

P.S.
Try Online Armor free version :)
How's the system impact? And how effective is it?
It's *difficult* 2 use, bc application control is not separate from the firewall (like in Comodo).

nimd4

Level 1
Mar 30, 2014
so like most of us; dump CIS for good :D
Already did that!
In exchange for what? :-0

Past week or so I've been searching for a firewall that will run in Oracle VM Virtualbox (on Windows 8.1 update), because Comodo can't do it. :-f && so far been unable to find a replacement that makes sense..

Most have application control coupled with the firewall and some *automatic* settings where we are supposed to TRUST Windows Services and applications - that have been arranged by the software vendor - which defeats the whole purpose of having a firewall (might as well be using the built-in one, rly!); or they don't have the simplest, of simple:

a prompt for application/protocol/port::allow/deny

(and ask for each new connection the program will solicit)

Every single program, that was any good in the past seems to have gone down the drain :-(
(Even ZoneAlarm has been 'modernized', pftt)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.