Troubleshoot I need help. mac Safari Pop-up problem

jono

Thread author
Oct 20, 2014
I got a pop-up while browsing safari, titled http:// newsalert.report-o.com. clicking ok does nothing as it pops up again, the page can't be closed, and all safari menu options are un-clickable (including preferences)
same issue after i restart my computer. It just reloads that page.
I'm not very computer savvy, and i couldn't find any help online related to this specific virus or whatever it is. restarted my mac in safe mode, and it worked insofar as safari wasn't even available. But I'm not sure if I'm just supposed to continue using my computer in safe mode or not. I really don't know what I'm doing. I normally use google chrome. can i just delete safari all together?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Welcome.
Could you provide more information about OS version, browsers affected, and any screenshots to help us? For example, show us what you mean by "safari menu options are un-clickable"?

I'm not used to dealing with Mac OS X. :)

Upvote 0

Danno

Oct 29, 2014
I got a pop-up while browsing safari, titled http:// newsalert.report-o.com. clicking ok does nothing as it pops up again, the page can't be closed, and all safari menu options are un-clickable (including preferences)
same issue after i restart my computer. It just reloads that page.
I'm not very computer savvy, and i couldn't find any help online related to this specific virus or whatever it is. restarted my mac in safe mode, and it worked insofar as safari wasn't even available. But I'm not sure if I'm just supposed to continue using my computer in safe mode or not. I really don't know what I'm doing. I normally use google chrome. can i just delete safari all together?
Restart your Mac while holding down the shift key. Once your Mac is booted up you can access Safari's menus. Click on "reset safari" and make sure that all boxes are checked before you execute. That should cure the problem.

Upvote 0

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Just Force Quit (Hold down Command+Option+Shift+Escape for a second or two until the app forcibly closes.), then open Safari again. It still has the pop-up page opening up, but immediately close Safari using the button up in the corner of the browser. Then open Safari, and it should be back to normal. Clear the History (Choose History > Clear History, and then click Clear.), and that's about it!

Let me know if it works!

Reactions: testing01
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.