Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
I don't want to have to jump through a bunch of hoops. I am really under a lot of stress now. I would prefer something that's not temporary, i.e., the URL goes away after a month or so. But that would be better than nothing.

I want URLs that don't require others to download images, but have the images right there for instant viewing.

I have already tried to get Dropbox over and over again. Both online and offline installations would abort at the last minute. Until my next computer, I am DONE with Dropbox!

Computer: Dell System B3 Desktop
CPU: Intel Pentium 4-2667 (Northwood, D1)
2666 MHz (20.00x133.3) @ 2657 MHz (20.00x132.9)
Motherboard: DELL 0G1548
Chipset: Intel 845GEV (Brookdale-GEV) + ICH4
Memory: 2048 MBytes @ 166 MHz, 2.5-3-3-7
- 1024 MB PC3200 DDR-SDRAM - Kingston K
Graphics: Intel 82845G/GL/GV Graphics Controller [DELL]
Intel i845G(L) Integrated, 64 MB
Drive: ST380011A, 78.1 GB, E-IDE (ATA-6)
Drive: HGST HTS545050A7E380, 488.4 GB, Serial ATA 3Gb/s <-> USB
Drive: SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-252S, CD-R Writer
Sound: Creative Technology SB Live! Series Audio Processor
Network: RealTek Semiconductor RTL8139 PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
Network: Broadcom 4401 10/100 Integrated Controller
Antivirus: Advanced SystemCare Ultimate 8
Firewall: Windows Firewall
Default Browser: Maxthon

Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Hello Conceptualclarity. I performed a search, & hoped I was understanding your request correctly, that your wish was to share material from MalwareTips including images. Based on the title of this thread, I did a search: creating urls for sharing.
One hit I liked is a walk through of 3 free services which allow you to join multiple links into (1) URL. If that is your goal, I hope the following helps you feel stress free. ;)

Last edited:

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Thank you very much for going beyond any call of duty, Cats-4_Owners-2. I was referring not to sharing Malware Tips material, but rather to sharing things on Malware Tips. Unlike many computer forums, Malware Tips does not allow attachments, with which you select the file you wish to upload through navigating Windows Explorer. On Malware Tips, to share a screenshot, one must have a URL for it. I don't think the capacity to make URLs for your files is native in Windows. I'm not aware that toolbox programs like Glary Utilities offer this capacity.

Thank you for that useful link.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
I use http://postimage.org/

Edit: no account required. Upload, press button to put link in clipboard. Can do multiple images simultaneously and you can link individual photos or the entire album.

I can't fathom a simpler way beyond making your machine a public web server and linking to your own actual files. :D (arguably not simpler though)

Last edited:

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Using Photobucket and OneDrive and a site called KeepandShare for sharing. Still have to fetch the link in any case, and I that could probably be easier. Guess I feel that it just sort of is what it is for now. I like that MS has been moving forward with Outlook.com, even though I have only an older version of MS Office (2007) that doesn't natively point to OD. Still, 30 GB of free storage is really great.

MS really actually actively seems to me to be doing something 100% right with Outlook.com. Then again I've been using Hotmail for like 20 years, except for a 2 year stretch where MS cut off the account because a spammer hacked it. I feel lucky to have gotten it back now with the improvements...

By the way, KeepandShare is a very good option, but a free account limits the size of files to 5 MB (yes, that's MB) and 200 MB overall. The sharing there is very interesting in that any file can be made public without being in a particular folder. It still boils down to fetching a link to share the file, which means trudging through the site to grab the link.

Maybe a desktop link fetcher or browser plugin link fetcher would be a hit, I don't know...

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
I use Picasa. Simply upload the image to Google Photos, get the link and paste it.

Fullscreen%252520capture%2525207252015%25252033913%252520PM.bmp.jpg

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Thanks for all the suggestions. I forgot to mention that I also want to be able to upload video and audio files to a URL to share with friends, not desiring to put them on YouTube.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
I installed ShareX; it really doesn't get any easier than this and has many features. Out of the box, you can hit PrtScr, image will be uploaded (anonymously, no account information/setup) and its URL put in the clipboard.

Your images aren't publicly available, @conceptualclarity

Butterfly

Level 3
Verified
Jul 28, 2015
OK, I've got an Imgur account now, and I've uploaded a couple of images. http://conceptualclarity.imgur.com/all/
I still don't see how to get URLs for them.
Click on one of the pictures and copy the URL under "Direct Link (email & IM)", that's the URL you want to copy for your pictures. Then come back to MalwareTips click on the little photo icon (near the smiley one) at the top of your reply box and paste the image URL, then click "Insert" and it will show up. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: conceptualclarity

Paul B.

Level 4
Verified
Dec 21, 2014
Malware Tips does not allow attachments, with which you select the file you wish to upload through navigating Windows Explorer. On Malware Tips, to share a screenshot, one must have a URL for it.

snapshot.jpg

You only need to click "More options" rather than use the quick reply window, and you can attach a local file, as above. At least the Preview is showing it is going to work.

As for hosts, I used to use postimg.org (or postimage.org, or .com, as they are the same) until I compared resolution. I like postimg's simplicity of interface, but the reduction in picture quality is halting. If you want to see a comparison, see this post. Though I find Imgur's interface too complicated, I seldom have to deal with it as I upload via a browser extension, and Imgur has overall been excellent. But I don't think this will help you with videos.

As an aside, if you're having problems with an old XP install I would seriously consider a switch to Linux. I've converted four machines so far and the results have been spectacular.

Reactions: conceptualclarity

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
View attachment 68321

You only need to click "More options" rather than use the quick reply window, and you can attach a local file, as above. At least the Preview is showing it is going to work.

Yes, I have used that before on replies, but I see no option for browse-to-upload in the Create Thread post (which is strange) or in Conversations.

Click on one of the pictures and copy the URL under "Direct Link (email & IM)", that's the URL you want to copy for your pictures. Then come back to MalwareTips click on the little photo icon (near the smiley one) at the top of your reply box and paste the image URL, then click "Insert" and it will show up. :)

Very good. Thanks.

I installed ShareX; it really doesn't get any easier than this and has many features. Out of the box, you can hit PrtScr, image will be uploaded (anonymously, no account information/setup) and its URL put in the clipboard.
@conceptualclarity

I recently installed Share-X. I found that it created an Imgur URL for a screenshot I created. But it's not associated with my Imgur account. I don't know how to put it in my account.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.