Icy's configuration

Icy

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 10, 2014
*scrolled back up to look at your config*:) I've not tried virtualbox (not yet, anyway) but hear about it often, have you?o_O I really should read as much as I write,:rolleyes: lol!:p I saw you added Sandboxie. I think by opening Chrome browser sandboxed, it shall be like taking a light jacket with you when you go out into the elements (or a unexpectedly cold movie theater).:D This gets you in the habit, a good yet somewhat overly cautious practice, of being prepared whenever venturing forth or opening e-mail by just clothing your system in protection. Hit Man Pro did wonders for my XP, by finding over 300 items I didn't know it had accumulated! It sped up my system equally!:) ..although it left one of our user accounts with limited graphics (those fill in boxes when logging onto MT appeared as thick lines rather than spaces).:mad: Be sure to backup your system 1st before unleashing the effective "Hitman", because he's a real "Pro"!;):)

I decided to try sandboxie again hehe, didn't know it was that capable :p.When I had windows 7 it used to conflict with other software so that was why i haven't added it to my config from the very beginning :)
Thanks!

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I decided to try sandboxie again hehe, didn't know it was that capable :p.When I had windows 7 it used to conflict with other software so that was why i haven't added it to my config from the very beginning :)
Thanks!

I hope it works well for you this time.:) Here's a little bit about it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandboxie Note: After using Sandboxie for 1 month, while opening Chrome in sandbox, hold down the ctrl button. This will bypass the nag screen, and start your browser without delay.

Last edited:
Reactions: Icy

Icy

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 10, 2014
Removed: hitmanpro
Added: EEK - MBAM

I let my young sister use my computer for one day and my computer is infected with some strange viruses :p

Last edited:
Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Removed: hitmanpro
Added: EEK - MBAM

I let my young sister use my computer for one day and my computer is infected with some strange viruses :p
Younger sisters might not learn good habits immediately, but for the next time, if she's browsing inside of a containment sandbox, letting her:eek: play games while <clicking> her little heart away:rolleyes: might turn out better!:D

Icy

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 10, 2014
Younger sisters might not learn good habits immediately, but for the next time, if she's browsing inside of a containment sandbox, letting her:eek: play games while <clicking> her little heart away:rolleyes: might turn out better!:D

I just didn't expect her to actually download stuff, thought she was just gonna surf/play online browser games :p
Luckily I had a system image :)

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Create a Standard user account, or enable the Guest account. Do not install another browser.

Create new shortcuts as the following, and add "-private" to the pinned IE browser. Try it Win+R > Paste the following:
Code:
iexplore.exe -private

upload_2014-4-20_21-16-6.png

Open IE > Tools > Internet Options

Or without InPrivate Mode, checkbox for "Delete browsing history on exit".
upload_2014-4-20_21-18-37.png

IE > Tools > Internet Options > Security (tab) > Internet > Custom Level
upload_2014-4-20_21-14-6.png

Scroll down to Downloads > File Download > Disable > OK > Apply > OK
upload_2014-4-20_21-13-48.png

Applies to any version of Windows. Internet Explorer only.
upload_2014-4-20_21-21-27.png

D

Deleted member 21043

Any feedback to why you removed Tiranium?

I've made suggestions for a website site advisor in your other topic, but Google Chrome has good Malware and Phishing protection built straight into their browser. For example: Chrome will block malicious downloads.

I'm currently using Chrome Canary (may be unstable) and there's an option to submit suspicious files to Google. So it may inflict some privacy concerns for some users, but looks like they're committed to protecting Chrome users by bettering their SafeBrowsing.
View attachment 9685

I think Google own VirusTotal (heard rumours) which may be good for Google Chrome users because if they do and the rumours are true it would use it for the file security.

Icy

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 10, 2014
Is K9 web protection still in development (are they adding more websites to their filter, etc?)? or is it discontinued?

D

Deleted member 21043

Is K9 web protection still in development (are they adding more websites to their filter, etc?)? or is it discontinued?
I would think that all web protection services would always be in development (improving their engines, adding to the clouds/database and so on).

If they aren't, there may not be much point in them because we are advancing quickly, and new threats are released everyday (software and web).

Icy

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 10, 2014
I would think that all web protection services would always be in development (improving their engines, adding to the clouds/database and so on).

If they aren't, there may not be much point in them because we are advancing quickly, and new threats are released everyday (software and web).

Yep true, what made me skeptical was that the last time they posted an announcement was back in 2013.I tried looking all over the website but I didn't find anything related to discontinuation (but they still could have ditched the project without further notice?)

Removed: EEK
Readded: Hitmanpro

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21043

Yep true, what made me skeptical was that the last time they posted an announcement was back in 2013.I tried looking all over the website but I didn't find anything related to discontinuation (but they still could have ditched the project without further notice?)

Removed: EEK
Readded: Hitmanpro

Yeah, that's quite strange. Maybe the project has been ditched... Usually when a company is "active" they are posting updates continuously regarding their products and their development stage. For example, Emsisoft 9 make updates on their blog about their new Internet Security they will be releasing with a new UI.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.