Latest Threads

1. Warning Welcome to MalwareTips.com, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn about PC security and computers.
    As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but you can not create new threads or reply to an existing one unless you are a registered member. By joining our free community you will have access to post threads, start private conversations with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features.
    Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join us today!
  2. Emsisoft  Mobile Security GiveawayEXCLUSIVE MalwareTips.com: Emsisoft Mobile Security Giveaway

Get a free license key for Emsisoft Mobile Security to protect your Android smartphone. We are giving away Emsisoft Mobile Security license keys for our awesome members!

Get an Emsisoft Mobile Security license key!

3. Zemana AntiLogger Unlimited GiveawayEXCLUSIVE: Zemana AntiLogger Giveaway

Get a free license key for Zemana AntiLogger. We are giving away 300 Zemana AntiLogger license keys for our awesome members!

Get a Zemana AntiLogger license key!

4.  NoVirusThanks EXE GiveawayEXCLUSIVE MalwareTips.com : NoVirusThanks EXE Radar Pro Giveaway

Get a free license key for NoVirusThanks EXE Radar Pro. We are giving away NoVirusThanks EXE Radar Pro license keys for our awesome members!

Get a NoVirusThanks EXE Radar Pro license key!

5. ZoneAlarm 2015 Extreme Security GiveawayEXCLUSIVE MalwareTips.com:ZoneAlarm 2015 Extreme Security Giveaway

Get a free license key for ZoneAlarm 2015 Extreme Security. We are giving away ZoneAlarm 2015 Extreme Security license keys for our awesome members!

Get a ZoneAlarm 2015 Extreme Security license key!

6. Tip of the Day Many people think that 'formatting' a hard drive will wipe out all the data so it cannot be recovered
    Not so. To prevent the possibility of future recovery, use a third-party, low-level hard drive formatting tool, such as Killdisk (downloadable at no charge from www.killdisk.com) to overwrite data on the hard drive with a random sequence of 1's and 0's.

ielowutil.exe mystery solved

Discussion in 'Browsers, Add-ons and Plug-ins' started by Dieselman, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Dieselman

Dieselman

Here is a helpful hint I discovered myself so I thought I share it with you.

After installing IE 9 and using it for about a week I went back to Firefox 3.5.6. then eventually to FF 4.0. So I never went back to IE ever again. But for some odd reason ielowutil.exe would magically appear. I didn't think much of it at first. So one day I was determined to get to the bottom of this mystery. I opened up my trusty Process Hacker and explored everything about ielowutil.exe. The parent program of course is IE. But the fact that I never opened IE made it even more odd. So I did some research for about an hour and came up with nothing.

So I went into Process Hackers settings and enabled all the system tray features which basically tells you who started who,when and where. I sat and watch my laptop for about an hour at idle. When ielowutil.exe started it was triggered by Feeds and Web Slices. I was like .............."What?". So I went into internet options\content\feeds and web slices\settings. In there I unchecked "automatically check feeds and web slices for updates". I also unchecked everything else in there.

Presto................Problem gone. So exactly what was going on? Well it turns out that ielowutil.exe is a prefetcher for feeds and web slices. That was about 2 weeks ago and ielowutil.exe has never mysteriously appeared on its own again. Hope this helps some members and also you can learn how Process Hacker can be used as a diagnostic tool.
  2. MrXidus

MrXidus Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for the information Dieselman.
  3. Dieselman

Dieselman

The best news comes from within. Your welcome.
  4. McLovin

McLovin Active Member

Nice information Dman, Thanks ;)
  5. Dieselman

Dieselman

Let me know if anyone else has experienced this.
  6. jamescv7

jamescv7 Active Member

Well as I often use IE9 on the laptop seems I didn't notice that processes if that comes there I will not bothered it.
  7. Huracan

Huracan Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, a few weeks back.
  8. Dieselman

Dieselman

Most likely cause your on XP. But you dont have to be using IE James as I already said. How did you run IE 9 on XP anyways?
  9. Huracan

James, if I remember correctly the Laptop runs Windows 7 and the Desktop run Windows XP?
  10. bogdan

bogdan Administrator Staff Member

As far as i know ielowutil.exe was introduced in IE8 to better handle low integrity level operations in IE. It is needed because of the IE Protected mode security feature. So the process itself is not directly related to news feeds but since IE starts to update those feeds, this process might be also started. So the problem is that IE starts because of the Automatically check for Feeds and Webslices is enabled (but I think this is not enabled by default), you obviously don't need this feature if IE is not your main browser.

An article about ielowutil.exe: link.
  11. Dieselman

Dieselman

Well bogdan as soon I stopped feeds and web slices from being auto enabled it all stopped. And yes its chekced of by default cause I have checked about 20 other Windows 7 machines.

Jamescv7 main machine, then one shown is the desktop section is XP. The Windows 7 machine is his parents.
  12. jamescv7

jamescv7 Active Member

Yes the laptop runs in Windows 7 starter where the IE9 runs, and my desktop is Windows XP
  13. Tom172

Tom172 Regular Member

Good investigating Diesel. There isn't alot of (detailed) information online about what exactly it does.

But i don't think it's sole purpose is to check for updates to feeds and web slices.

I think it may have been required however to carry out this task.

Here is a post that relates to IE8. Should still be relevent to IE9 though.
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/askie/archi...xe-have-to-do-with-internet-explorer-8-0.aspx

The short answer at the end:

EDIT: bogdan beat me to it :)
  14. Dieselman

Dieselman

Did I ever say it was not required? No. Did I say I killed,terminated and remove IELowUtility.exe? No. I simply found out why it was auto triggering. Thats all. It is till there in the IE folder. I personally read over 100 articles and not one could tell me how to stop this from auto triggering. There are others asking why this process runs even after IE is closed out or not being used.
  15. bogdan

bogdan Administrator Staff Member

Then it means that I previously unchecked it, IMO it should be unchecked by default, IE should update those news when the user starts it. Glad you figured it out.
  16. Dieselman

Dieselman

Sorry bogdan I meant check off as "enabled" by default. BTW I dont need to hear or see artciles on what ielowutil.exe is and what it does. I posted this info from MY observations and gave instrictions on how to stop this for any other person with this mystery. Your welcome. Please stop trying to explain everything about ieowutil.exe cause I read every article on it and none could explain what I or others saw. It took my over an hour to find this problem.
  17. Huracan

Others may read this thread and benefits from the links provided.
  18. Dieselman

Dieselman

Ok stomgtr...............I will post every single link I read just to make members happy. If you haven't noticed this is my personal finding and how I solved it. I did not just copy and paste an article in here so members could read it. I posted well detailed instructions of how I solved this problem and how others can use Process Hacker to diagnose there computers. Thanks.

If somebody needs to know what ielowutil.exe is and what it does then that can be a separate thread.
  19. Tom172

Tom172 Regular Member

Thanks alot for your post Diesel.

I just didn't agree with this
    So I just thought I'd point it out.
  20. Dieselman

Dieselman

Your welcome Tomo. Sure maybe ielowutil.exe does more then just what I said but the problem is gone as soon as I unchecked those things I mentioned from my laptop as well as others.