Solved immediate trovi re-infection after system restore

mike1127

Thread author
Jul 13, 2014
I tried to get trovi.com off of a friend's computer (Windows 8 laptop) by simply doing a reinstall of the OS from the factory recovery partition. This is a Samsung, and the recovery options are hard to understand. The recovery software seems to have been written by someone with a poor grasp of English and no concept of how to make a user interface, but I tried to ensure that I was wiping the main partition entirely. I told it not to preserve any user data.

After finishing the reinstall, I did the following:

(1) A program that I believed to be from Samsung called "SW Updater" ran and I let it download some software. Appeared to be Samsung custom help and service software.

(2) I downloaded Avast.

(3) While Avast was downloading I uninstalled Norton Internet security.

(4) I installed Avast and did an initial scan.

(5) I rebooted.

At that point I opened IE and holy crap there was lab.trovi.com again!

Did it infect the recovery partition? Where did it come from, as there was no download of any software other than Avast (and I watched carefully to make sure it didn't force any PUPs on me during the Avast Installation).

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Hello,

Before we start please note the following:

icon_arrow.gif
Analysis and research take some time, also sometimes real life gets in the way, please be patient.
icon_arrow.gif
Limit your internet access to posting here, some infections just wait to steal typed-in passwords.
icon_arrow.gif
Don't run any scripts or tools on your own, unsupervised usage may cause more harm than good.
icon_arrow.gif
Do not paste the logs in your posts, attachments make my work easier. There is a Upload a File button which you can use to attach your reports. Attach all reports.
icon_arrow.gif
Stay with me to the end, the absence of symptoms doesn't mean that your machine is fully operational.
icon_arrow.gif
Note that we may live in totally different time zones, what may cause some delays between answers.

icon_idea.gif
I can't foresee everything, so if anything unexpected happens, please stop and inform me!
icon_idea.gif
There are no silly questions. Never be afraid to ask if in doubt!

FRST.gif
Scan with Farbar Recovery Scan Tool

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool x64 and save it to your Desktop.
  • Right-click on
    FRST.gif
    icon and select
    RunAsAdmin.jpg
    Run as Administrator to start the tool.
    (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File).
  • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Make sure that Addition option is checked.
  • Press Scan button and wait.
  • The tool will produce two logfiles on your desktop: FRST.txt and Addition.txt.
Please attach them into your next reply.

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Do not perform System Restore, because it is bringing back Trovi.

FRST.gif
Fix with Farbar Recovery Scan Tool

icon_exclaim.gif
This fix was created for this user for use on that particular machine.
icon_exclaim.gif

icon_exclaim.gif
Running it on another one may cause damage and render the system unstable.
icon_exclaim.gif

Download attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop:

Both files, FRST and fixlist.txt have to be in the same location or the fix will not work!

• Right-click on
    FRST.gif
    icon and select
    RunAsAdmin.jpg
    (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File).
  • Press the Fix button just once and wait.
  • If for some reason the tool needs a restart, please make sure you let the system restart normally. After that let the tool complete its run.
  • When finished FRST will generate a log on the Desktop, called Fixlog.txt.

Please attach it to your reply.

51a612a8b27e2-Zoek.png
Scan with ZOEK

Please download ZOEK by Smeenk and save it to your desktop (preferred version is the *.exe one)
Temporary disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware protection - instructions here.

• Right-click on
    51a612a8b27e2-Zoek.png
    icon and select
    RunAsAdmin.jpg
  • Wait patiently until the main console will appear, it may take a minute or two.
  • In the main box please paste in the following script:
    Code:
    createsrpoint;
    process;
    services-list;
    startupall;
    skipfix-iedefaults;
    firefoxlook;
    chromelook;
    filesrcm;
    installedprogs;
    Trovi;a
    Trovi;z
  • Make sure that Scan All Users option is checked.
  • Push Run Script and wait patiently. The scan may take a couple of minutes.
  • When the scan completes, a zoek-results logfile should open in notepad.
  • If a reboot is needed, it will be opened after it. You may also find it at your main drive (usually C:\ drive)

Attach report into your next reply.

Attachments

• fixlist.txt
    1.2 KB · Views: 317
Last edited:

mike1127

Thread author
Jul 13, 2014
thanks for your help. files attached.

Attachments

• Fixlog.txt
    2.9 KB · Views: 95
  • zoek-results.log
    20 KB · Views: 85

mike1127

Thread author
Jul 13, 2014
Seems to be fixed! Thank you! Did you say that the infection got into the recovery partition? When I titled my post "re-infection after system restore" I didn't mean to say that I was doing a "system restore"; rather I was doing a system recovery. If it got into the recovery partition, did your instructions remove it? I don't want it to come back in the future if my friend needs to do a system recovery.

Thank you again!

mike1127

Thread author
Jul 13, 2014
I used it to load factory settings. And trovi was there immediately after restoring to factory settings. However, I'm not entirely clear that's what I did--it's a very bad interface in this Samsung laptop, makes no sense at all. It seems to do other things, such as be an interface to System Restore.

mike1127

Thread author
Jul 13, 2014
Samsung NP270E4E. I looked back at my notes and I did do a couple of things before the reboot (1) allow what appeared to be a Samsung program called "SW Updater" to run and (2) download Avast free

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
I am afraid I can't help you about this, I think you should contact their support.

Below you will find my thoughts about securing your machine. Go ahead through it, you will benefit from some useful advice about safe computing.

Recommended reading:
icon_exclaim.gif
MUST READ - security tips: Computer Security - a short guide to staying safer online. Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet
icon_exclaim.gif
MUST READ - general maintenance: What to do if your Computer is running slowly?

Recommended additional software:
icon_arrow.gif
TFC - to clean unneeded temporary files.
icon_arrow.gif
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware - to scan your system from time to time in search for malware.
icon_arrow.gif
Malwarebytes' Anti-Exploit - to prevent plenty of mostly exploited vulnerabilities.
icon_arrow.gif
McShield - to prevent infections spread by removable media.
icon_arrow.gif
CryptoPrevent - to secure yourself from very severe CryptoLocker infection.
icon_arrow.gif
Unchecky - to prevent from installing additional foistware, implemented in legitimate installations.

The following will implement some post-cleanup procedures:

=> Please download DelFix by Xplode to your Desktop.

Run the tool and check the following boxes below;
checkmark.png
Remove disinfection tools
checkmark.png
Create registry backup
checkmark.png
Purge System Restore

Click Run button and wait a few seconds for the programme completes his work.
At this point all the tools we used here should be gone. Tool will create an report for you (C:\DelFix.txt)

The tool will also record healthy state of registry and make a backup using ERUNT program in %windir%\ERUNT\DelFix
Tool deletes old system restore points and create a fresh system restore point after cleaning.

Stay safe,
TwinHeadedEagle :)

mike1127

Thread author
Jul 13, 2014
Thank you, this stuff is great... I'm helping a friend who is less computer-savvy than me and needs to learn safe computing. She needs to learn to recognize foistware, for instance.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.