imsoadude's config

Status
Not open for further replies.

imsoadude

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
I like BitDefender Free except the user interface, i dont like how theres no system scan button or pop ups when it blocks something

imsoadude

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
Another question would it be better for me to just go with cis or stick with avast w/ cf?

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
imsoadude said:
Another question would it be better for me to just go with cis or stick with avast w/ cf?

Well, you could always try it. :)

imsoadude

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
Yea thats true i just wasnt sure detection wise or memory usage wise which would be the smarter route to take, last time i tried cis i think was version 5.8 so im not sure about the improvements.. etc

D

Deleted member 178

I will always stick with CIS rather than CFW + any AV; if i don't "trust" Comodo AV part, i have just to add a companion AV.

P

Plexx

imsoadude said:
Yea thats true i just wasnt sure detection wise or memory usage wise which would be the smarter route to take, last time i tried cis i think was version 5.8 so im not sure about the improvements.. etc

Don't quote me on this but if memory serves me right CAV improvements started to be more visible with release of 5.8.

The very first 5.8 release fixed the crashes on files in bad sectors, as well as improved resource usage and performance.

5.9 introduced the Smart Scan and improved the removal of infections.

5.10 deployed a fix for Smart Scan.

imsoadude

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
I might try it out when i have time to uninstall everything and install cis, if i dont find like cav doesnt avast have a companion install mode?

imsoadude

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
Updated June 6, 2013 - http://malwaretips.com/Thread-imsoadude-s-config

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
For updater, you may use SUMO only since its covers everything for products that needs to update.

While Filehippo detects only the database through their website.

imsoadude

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
I prefer both though since filehippo gives me a direct download link, but i keep Sumo backup so i can google any other updates filehippo doesn't give :)

imsoadude

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
Updated Config June 7, 2013 - Changed to avira free due to bitdefender free having some bugs. May try bitdefender free again in the future. Added bitdefender trafficlight for web protection also.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
What made you choose Avira over something like Avast?

imsoadude

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
Trying new things, i figured id give avira a shot since i've always liked their high detections (i can tell between false positives so that doesnt worry me) so far though i dont like the scan time, a full scan took about 3 hours compared to a normal 1 and a half or so. If i give up on avira i might try panda cloud next

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
imsoadude said:
Trying new things, i figured id give avira a shot since i've always liked their high detections (i can tell between false positives so that doesnt worry me) so far though i dont like the scan time, a full scan took about 3 hours compared to a normal 1 and a half or so. If i give up on avira i might try panda cloud next

Fair enough. Always curious. :p

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
The boot time for Avira may affect you for more than 15-20 seconds or depends + their removal process isn't right when scanning made troubles like crashes

imsoadude

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
Yea, ill have to check that. i always put my computer on sleep so i dont notice to often

imsoadude

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
Oh to anyone planning on uninstalling bitdefender free i had problems uninstalling it and i just noticed it actually didnt uninstall and theres no uninstall tool for it i could find so im gonna reinstall and try it again. I couldnt even disable the startup item or kill the process to delete the folder lol guess that should be good but i want it gone

Update: Found a removal tool for it under consumer paid section http://www.bitdefender.com/site/Downloads/uninstallIntro/uninstall_consumer_paid.html

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
imsoadude said:
Oh to anyone planning on uninstalling bitdefender free i had problems uninstalling it and i just noticed it actually didnt uninstall and theres no uninstall tool for it i could find so im gonna reinstall and try it again. I couldnt even disable the startup item or kill the process to delete the folder lol guess that should be good but i want it gone

Update: Found a removal tool for it under consumer paid section http://www.bitdefender.com/site/Downloads/uninstallIntro/uninstall_consumer_paid.html

Use this link

Its called Gonzales_uninstalltool.exe (Bitdefender Free AV only)

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
That would be one thing I would hate about AV products. You should be able to remove it without leaving some of the program installed.

imsoadude

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
Thanks james the one i found got rid of it. and yea except it didnt remove anything McLovin, the uninstaller kept failing lol and since i can't terminate the process i couldnt remove it manually

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.