Status
Not open for further replies.

Myna

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Jan 16, 2014
downloaddotcomss.png

The US Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT) has warned users about software download sites' practice of including unasked-for downloads, after one such program - AVG's Secure Search toolbar - was found to be insecure.

Known as "bloatware" or "foistware", unasked-for software is bundled into to the installation wrappers used by popular software download websites. The practice is tolerated by some sites because vendors pay to have their code included in downloads. Interfaces to such sites do their best to hide, or obscure, exactly what users are about to download.

The most severe threat from the installation of foistware, over and above the seemingly infinite loop of advertisements, is an increase in the number of attack surfaces available to hackers, CERTCC vulnerability analyst Will Dormann (@wdormann) said.

"The offers seem to be somewhat dynamic, but I've seen things like PassShow, RRSavings, and AtuZi. These sorts of programs hook into your browser, exposing a larger attack surface, and potentially making the system less secure," Dormann said.

"The default installation may include AVG Secure Search software. Despite the software claiming to provide 'an additional security layer while searching and surfing', its installation means more code on your system and therefore another thing that attackers might target."

Read More: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/0...s_spruiked_vulnerable_avg_tool_cert_us_warns/

M

MalwareT

I never download anything from CNET, i dont trust them. If i wanna download something i wanna download it from official webpage or from Softpedia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.