Paranoidroid's Config

Paranoidroid

Thread author
Apr 1, 2015
I just ran a firewall leak test utility from Gibson Research (https://www.grc.com/lt/leaktest.htm)
and it was able to penetrate my firewall instantly. The fact that the firewall didn't block it by default concerns me. And the utility file itself was blocked in the properties tab. What steps should I take?

Reactions: tonibalas

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
If you are using Windows 8 or 8.1, then your real-time protection is Windows Defender. It's provides basic Antivirus and Antispware protection, by Microsoft. Installing a 3rd party Antivirus or Suite application will automatically disable Windows Defender, however it is your responsibility to keep whichever Antivirus software you use, updated and valid.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free would be a better on-demand scanner. For scanning without removal, HitmanPro (non-activated).

Are you connected to a Home Network, and does your Router have it's Firewall enabled?

You can update your thread fields by following this informative post, http://malwaretips.com/threads/how-...y-config-without-creating-a-new-thread.28299/

Mod Edit: Changed thread title to reflect contents of topic.

Reactions: Exterminator
D

Deleted member 21043

Hi,

Many people like Windows Defender however I really recommend using a different Antivirus for real-time protection (either you use this or nothing as it looks like you haven't installed any Antivirus software). I recommend taking a look into one of the following Internet Security products: ESET Smart Security, Kaspersky Internet Security or Emsisoft Internet Security.

I said "Internet Security" because this includes both Antivirus and Firewall protection. All 3 of those products are well known and have saved people from many infections. That's not to say that all the others are bad, but they are just particular products which I know that many people are satisfied with, I personally like and were at the top of my head (however I wouldn't have mentioned them if I thought they were bad).

Please only use one of those products. If you do not want to purchase security (there may be many reasons for this, and I would totally understand), you could look into using a free Antivirus combined with a free Firewall product. Such as using: Avast Free Antivirus, alongside Comodo Firewall (or another firewall you like or someone suggests).

As well as this, I recommend you use a few scanners on-demand (I did notice Spybot 2 on your configuration). On-demand means you scan with them, but they do not have any real-time protection/other protection settings enabled working in "real-time". Using multiple Antivirus products can cause issues (including but not limited to system slowdown), which is why on-demand scanning is so popular. I recommend looking into one - three of the following scanners I mention: Malwarebytes Free (you just scan with it, you do not need the Professional version), HitmanPro, Emsisoft Emergency Kit (If you decide to ue Emsisoft Internet Security, this is not necessary), Zemana Antimalware, ESET Online Scanner (if you decide to use ESET Smart Security, this is not necessary), HerdProtect.

I recommend getting another backup & recovery software as well as having system restore. System restore does not always work successfully. It's always good to have a secondary backup say on case of your personal documents, for example.

For system optimisation & cleaning, I recommend CCleaner. You can read more about it here: https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

For your extensions, you may want to look into HTTSEverywhere. You can read more about it here: https://www.eff.org/Https-Everywhere

The only person who should decide on the software you use is you. Try some out, experiment with the different Antivirus/Internet Security products. Whichever one you like best, you can use.

Hope I helped,
Cheers. ;)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Windows Firewall at default settings should passed easily at GRC leak test, if you mess something try to click "restore defaults" which will reset at all original settings.

For extensions an optimize setup would be Adguard, Noscript and Lastpass (optional if handling lots of passwords and store them securely).

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.