Is Comodo Internet Security Free good ?

Do you think Comodo Internet Security is a good product ?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hjlbx

Thread author
T

TheSuperGeek

Thread author
Yes and No, as it depends on who is running it and on what version of Windows.

Installing CIS on every computer is not a good solution, as an example.

There are many Comodo related threads here you can read up on.

Comodo is for protecting my pc. (Windows 7).
I think it's a good product because it include HIPS, Anti-Malware and firewall.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Super- I'll refrain from any Comodo specific comments except to say that I personally would never even consider using Comodo Internet Security. Comodo Firewall has everything needed with the exception of a uneeded local Antivirus module.

A point I would like to make is that as HJ has mentioned out above the testing organizations focus primarily on protection through AV definitions, which at best is an outdated modality; thus products that rely on other methods of protection are not adequately analyzed. In addition rarely if ever are we told what types of malware are contained in the Test Sets used, nor are we informed of the time lag between the first occurrence of a specific piece of malware and an individual products test against it.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Super- I'll refrain from any Comodo specific comments except to say that I personally would never even consider using Comodo Internet Security. Comodo Firewall has everything needed with the exception of a uneeded local Antivirus module.
A point I would like to make is that as HJ has mentioned out above the testing organizations focus primarily on protection through AV definitions, which at best is an outdated modality; thus products that rely on other methods of protection are not adequately analyzed. In addition rarely if ever are we told what types of malware are contained in the Test Sets used, nor are we informed of the time lag between the first occurrence of a specific piece of malware and an individual products test against it.

@cruelsister makes an important point.

I generically use the term CIS to apply to all the configurations... AV, IS, an FW.

The installer will install all the modules, but the user can activate only the FW (Defense+ and FW modules).

Sorry, I did not explain.

Reactions: conceptualclarity

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Really depends on if you know your stuff or not, I find that the protection is good if you don't mind the inconvenience of the occasional issue of some programmes breaking cause of the incompatibility of the sandboxing system.

What they do is sandbox everything that they do not know for sure that is malware, based on HIPS and the behavior of the software in question. This can be very effective when blocking malware on the system, however it can also hinder your software by blocking or restricting certain harmless applications that would result in your laptop having errors and stuff.

Personally I have used Comodo Firewall which has the same sandboxing and HIPS features the Internet security has and I found that it was useless to me because it kept disrupting my workflow by sandboxing harmless applications that I knew were safe to use. Finally I just disabled the auto sandboxing while leaving the HIPS active, that worked for me. Now the question is how will Comodo work for you? What are your surfing habits? You can't really ask if it's a good antivirus because the AV can only go so far in protecting you from malware. The best way to find out is to download it yourself and see if it works for you. If it does, great you can stick with it. But if you're like me then maybe it's not for you, and you should move on to something that only isolates confirmed threats and not every single file you download from the internet (yes it is a feature that Comodo will sandbox anything that you download from the internet)

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Comodo Internet Security is a solid, respectable product.

If CIS auto-sandboxes a file as "Unrecognized," but user knows it is safe, then user can change rating to "Trusted" and even create ignore rule so it is excluded from auto-sandboxing.

With ability to create rules, you can solve just about any problem experienced with files while using CIS - except in rare cases.

Comodo requires 1) settings management and 2) rules creation.

If you don't know how it works then it can be overwhelming.

However, there is only one way to learn how to use it ... and that is by actually using it and asking questions here on the security forums or on Comodo forum.

Reactions: yigido
H

hjlbx

Thread author
Hmmm, I assume the opposite.

Can you explain what resources Comodo soaks up ? :confused:

If you have a lot of installed software that starts at Windows boot, then CIS may make system take longer to reach desktop. Now, what is the reason this happens - that you have over-loaded your system or CIS ?

While you are working at desktop, using browser, unzipping files, watching videos, etc - you will not notice Comodo is there.

Comodo has improved quite a bit with recent version release: 8.0.2.4508.

It's definitely worth a look.

Y

yigido

Thread author
Comodo Internet Security is a solid, respectable product.

If CIS auto-sandboxes a file as "Unrecognized," but user knows it is safe, then user can change rating to "Trusted" and even create ignore rule so it is excluded from auto-sandboxing.

With ability to create rules, you can solve just about any problem experienced with files while using CIS - except in rare cases.

Comodo requires 1) settings management and 2) rules creation.

If you don't know how it works then it can be overwhelming.

However, there is only one way to learn how to use it ... and that is by actually using it and asking questions here on the security forums or on Comodo forum.
Most of novice users thinks "All auto-sandboxing pop-ups are false positives." :)
They have to learn more about the product before commenting on it! They mislead the all potential new users.

Comodo has improved quite a bit with recent version release: 8.0.2.4508.
8.2.0.4508 ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: VladDracul
H

hjlbx

Thread author
Is Comodo IS free is a good security product ?
I want to know becuase AV-test don't rate them good....
http://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/windows-7/
Thanks.

Yes. It is a solid, respectable product.

Used properly, it will provide a high degree of protection under typical use.

You can strengthen web-protection by importing malicious hosts list yourself, using PeerBlock, uBlock, uMatrix, etc, etc.

It can be "hardened" by user in a number of ways... up to the point where it will block installation\run of any file not white-listed on system.

It's all about settings management and configuration.

It is much better than people think.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Most of novice users thinks "All auto-sandboxing pop-ups are false positives." :)
They have to learn more about the product before commenting on it! They mislead the all potential new users.

Novice need to practice... that is with any AV to become proficient.

I learned the hard way - by making lots of mistakes.

Lots of complaints about CIS because they do not know how it works.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Only with experience does one come to appreciate what Comodo can do.

Does it need improvement? Yes... it has issues just like every other AV I have used.

Comodo is continually trying to make it better.

It takes time.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Of course CIS ( Comodo Internet Security) a good product and tweaking is in detailed matter, since it connects everything from its BB, HIPS, VirusScope, Cloud, AutoSandbox and many more; then throughly careful analysis to make the configuration better cause it cannot be easily handle from novice users.

Its a different aspect where this suite mainly focus on the sub categories component rather in main AV which why detection capabilities differ from other competitors.

Reactions: yigido

MikeV

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 9, 2013
If you like Comodo then go for their firewall.
Comodo HIPS and sandbox are great tools and in the right hands can do miracles.
If you are not an experienced user Comodo sooner or later will cause problems to your machine.
Comodo AV engine is very poor and it is far behind other Vendors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.