Advice Request Is Driver Booster Safe ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Is it safe

• Yes

Votes: 21 56.8%
  • No

Votes: 16 43.2%

• Total voters
M

MalwareT

Thread author
As computer tech,i was mostly relying on SlimDrivers but i want to use DB ,but is it safe ? Thanks in advance :)

Reactions: Sr. Normal

.com

Level 3
Verified
Jan 26, 2015
db vt.jpg

Source : https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/...0c3e2696338cdceebfd3f23cfa9349d756f/analysis/

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Yes, IObit Software is safe to use. Remember to download from their website, or another trusted mirror. When installing be aware of what may be bundled in the installer, ie. Adware (toolbar) may be presented.
For more product details and Free vs Pro Comparison: http://www.iobit.com/driver-booster.php

I recommend learning to you use your computer, by updating drivers by the built-in updater provided by the hardware manufactures. That way you learn about how often updates are released, download size, any Beta updates, changelog information etc.

Remember to check before installing any recommended Drivers by these types of software, as they may not always be providing accurate information, and possible to cause more issues.

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
I'd say its as safe as Slim Drivers (same sort of backup help) ..., I've read people have problems with both programs, and success using them as well.

I once had both SD and DB installed and didn't feel comfortable enough to try either one, because if it's not broke, I don't need fixing.

randj89

Level 4
Verified
May 7, 2014
I have been using driver booster for more than a year now , without any problems! so it is safe , the program makes a backup of your current drivers , before updating to the newest ones!
So do I! I have been using it for almost 2 years now and not a problem!

Dec 19, 2014
As computer tech,i was mostly relying on SlimDrivers but i want to use DB ,but is it safe ? Thanks in advance :)

Hi,

I have used both and can I personally feel that Slim Drivers is better at doing its job, but I can honestly say that DB was safe wen I used it about a year or so ago. As we all know, all Iobit free versions try to "convince" you into buying their products, but in no way was I ever infected by any crapware/malware.

There are other options out there, which do a great job: Driver Pack Solution and Sam Drivers are great pieces of software, which I personally have been using ever since I stopped using Slim Drivers and DB.

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Its safe just keep on the eye on which drivers is really needed, cause upgrading will provide not much significant performance but rather bug fixes.

Very different on the concept for updating the software which always mandatory, unlike on hardware.

John Doe ESP

Dec 31, 2017
Sorry for the bump of such old post.
Today we have amazing things like hybrid-analysis or reverse it:

Congratulations! Your analysis is done and available at: Free Automated Malware Analysis Service - powered by Falcon Sandbox - Viewing online file analysis results for 'Driver.Booster.exe'

--- Falcon Sandbox Analysis Summary ---

File Name: Driver.Booster.exe
Analysis State: SUCCESS
Threat Verdict: malicious
Threat Score: 100/100
AV Detection Ratio: 2%
AV Family Name: Program.Unwanted
Time of analysis: 2017-12-31 22:53:55
File Size (bytes): 17866872
File Type: PE32 executable (GUI) Intel 80386, for MS Windows
Contacted Domains: ascstats.iobit.com, update.iobit.com
Contacted Hosts: 23.23.151.79, 93.184.221.133
Environment: Windows 7 64 bit (ID: 120)

Check H.A. url for more info.

D

Deleted member 65228

Thread author
Today we have amazing things like hybrid-analysis or reverse it:
Hybrid-Analysis and Reverse-It services use the same sandbox as far as I am aware; there's also Malwr which relies on Cuckoo. However, as with all these online sandboxing services, false positives occur, and you still require to have a trained eye to make sense of the logs properly.

The report details you posted actually indicate the opposite from the threat verdict, because it's being flagged as unwanted on VirusTotal, not as malicious software. The unwanted status is opinionated; some people may want to use the software and it isn't actually malicious.

IObit products aren't malware, they are safe, however as with all system optimisation utilities, you need to take good care with what you consent for them to clean otherwise you can cause issues with your system (do more hassle than good). For example, I'd avoid registry cleaning. Cleaning of the temp folder and recycling bin, and un-needed logs which are taking up space? More reasonable with less potential for issues to arise.

dinosaur07

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012
I personally avoid all Iobit products after they had that incident with Malwarebytes (unallowed using of signature database).

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
The old version was good but the latest version includes some suspicious 3rd party installation
I forget exactly what is comes bundled with, but you have to manually select if you want to install it or not. Nothing extra is installed unless you choose for it to be installed.
DB Pro promotion coming this week via Wonderfox:
After Christmas Here Comes New Year, WonderFox Invites You to Join 2018 New YearGrand Carnival!

Probably a limited trial, IDK.
It will be a full Pro license. Driver Booster is regularly available as a giveaway. Also, there is no limited trial version. The free version of DB is fully functional, but has less features than the Pro version.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Thread author
I personally avoid all Iobit products after they had that incident with Malwarebytes (unallowed using of signature database).

Iobit should be avoided IMO. We've catalogue suspicious activity from them. I actually LIKE their uninstaller but don't trust it so I stick to Revo and Geek Uninstaller. (both portable)

On that report I would be concerned with why they are checking for RDP being active on a computer. :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:

Kubla

Level 8
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
Iobit should be avoided IMO. We've catalogue suspicious activity from them. I actually LIKE their uninstaller but don't trust it so I stick to Revo and Geek Uninstaller. (both portable)

On that report I would be concerned with why they are checking for RDP being active on a computer. :unsure:

I use Driver Booster 5 and the IOBIT uninstaller and they seem to do a very good job, I will have to monitor their activity a little closer it seems.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.