Is Free version of Emsisoft Online Armour good enough ????

What do you prefer ???

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Myna

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Jan 16, 2014
Just downloaded the Emsisoft Online Armour. But as of now, I've no plan of buying it. So what are the features that I'd miss if I use the free version ???? Please don't make it a 5-10 words reply. Elaborate a little bit. It would be really helpful if someone could provide me a detailed report.
Currently I'm using privateFirewall. Will OA free version be more effective than PF ???

The security suits that I currently have on my laptop are Norton Internet Security, Malwarebytes Antimalware, Zemana Antilogger, PrivateFirewall.
I'm planning to remove PF and install OA if you guys give a green signal.

And don't forget to mention about the RAM usage of OA. (That's important to me)

Before posting here I did look up to their online forum. At this page, one of the Emsisoft Employee mentioned 'extra control that the Advanced Mode offers'. What are these extra controls ????

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
I have checked ur config, norton IS has good firewall, that would be enough!

Reactions: Myna

Myna

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Jan 16, 2014
I have checked ur config, norton IS has good firewall, that would be enough!
I totally trust NIS. But sometimes I miss the manual config of the firewall in NIS. Sometimes I need that.

jerzy601

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 20, 2011
personally prefer Private Firewall is light and not conflicting with the system I am using.
OA I had for a while but I uninstalled because it slowed me open Aug. pages in your web browser and the system worked a little slower.:(

Reactions: Myna and Bergo

DaZa9

Level 8
Verified
Aug 16, 2013
My vote goes for Privatefirewall ofc, it stops anything from getting in or out without you knowing it. In the beginning it will drive you crazy with all it warning as you tell it what can and can not access the internet. Privatefirewall features signature-less, behavior-based anti-malware and desktop defense capabilities comprised of several distinct technology layers designed to block or mitigate the damage caused by intrusion.
The features that includes in OA Premium is likely unimportant, automatic updates and banking safety.

but I'd recommend you if you still want to install a firewall over NIS, install Norton Antivirus (without Norton firewall, to avoid conflicts)

Reactions: Ink

Myna

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Jan 16, 2014
My vote goes for Privatefirewall ofc, it stops anything from getting in or out without you knowing it. In the beginning it will drive you crazy with all it warning as you tell it what can and can not access the internet. Privatefirewall features signature-less, behavior-based anti-malware and desktop defense capabilities comprised of several distinct technology layers designed to block or mitigate the damage caused by intrusion.
The features that includes in OA Premium is likely unimportant, automatic updates and banking safety.

but I'd recommend you if you still want to install a firewall over NIS, install Norton Antivirus (without Norton firewall, to avoid conflicts)
Do you really think norton firewall may conflict with privatefirewall ???? Isn't two better than one ??? Moreover Norton push updates many times a day. Doesn't that make it more aware of the recent intrusions ???

DaZa9

Level 8
Verified
Aug 16, 2013
Do you really think norton firewall may conflict with privatefirewall ???? Isn't two better than one ??? Moreover Norton push updates many times a day. Doesn't that make it more aware of the recent intrusions ???
NIS the complete product is better than combining Notron Antivirus + other firewall. Norton firewall is strong and enough. and yes combing two firewalls or antivirus may cause conflicts... If I were you I'd use NIS alone without installing another firewall over it.

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012

None of the above firewalls!

Two firewalls are not better than one,there will be a conflict between the two.
Go for Comodo FW!!

http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge-64/results.php

Comodo ranked first at matousec:

le-gdoakobakvcktebwwuuf.jpg

Last edited:

Myna

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Jan 16, 2014
Thank you for the advise guys. But it only added to my confusion. For the time being I deactivated PrivateFirewall. Will decide the fate of my laptop a lil bit later. Btw is it true that to install CFW I've to download the full Internet security suit ???

Reactions: Venustus

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Matousec isn't a reliable source of information, nor is that proof that product A is better than product B.

If you insist on keeping Norton Internet Security, I would not use TWO firewalls and recommend completely uninstalling PrivateFirewall.
Other options;
+ Downgrade to Norton Antivirus + 3rd-party Firewall
PS: You will not be any less secure than NIS.

If you're using Windows Vista SP2 or higher, you should be able to use Windows Firewall with Advanced Security, if you're willing to put some time and effort into configuring it yourself.

Downloading Comodo Antivirus or Firewall or Suite are all the same size, from latest Beta version 7.
upload_2014-1-28_10-57-7.png

Reactions: Myna and DaZa9

Raul90

Level 14
Feb 5, 2012
Hmm...aside from Private firewall I think CIS is pretty good also. Just wanna add here,

I am using Online Armor Premium here from OA free. The advanced features offer more indeed plus you can import/export config unlike with the freeware version. But recently I have discovered something with OA with KMPlayer 3.8.0.118. The new version seems to have placed something in the Internet Explorer COMs or registry and am having a hard time blocking IE launch whenever a file is played through KMPlayer. I use to block it in OA via:

Programs>Advanced Options>Start applications> Allow Except>C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
Just that and no launch unwanted launch occurs/blocked. Now with version 3.8.0.118 it's a pain.

Now as mentioned it cannot be done(well at least as of the moment).

On another partition with CIS ver6.3 I have successfully blocked such launch. Previously it was only through:

HIPS Ruleset>Use Custom a ruleset>Access Rights>
Run an executable>Exclusion>Blocked Files\Folders\C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

HIPS Ruleset>Use Custom a ruleset>Access Rights>
Portected COM Interfaces>Internet Explorer\Windows Shell

Now with the new version I have to add,

Pseudo COM Interfaces - Priveleges
Pseudo COM Interfaces - Important Ports

One thing about CISver6.3 is that it's a pain blocking whole folders now. I used to block them perfectly with version 5.10-5.12 but now it cannot be done as I have seen on the links below. Blocking seems to be via single file rule creation. With OA you can block access to a specific folder but you can still see the contents.

https://forums.comodo.com/defense-s...lock-folder-access-in-cis-ver63-t99902.0.html

http://forums.comodo.com/defense-sandbox-help-cis-b136.0/-t99450.0.html

Myna

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Jan 16, 2014
Thank you everyone for offering the help. I think I made my decision. I don't want to download a whole suite just for a firewall. So CFW is out. Next, I tried installing OA to give it a try but it said it cannot install cuz of a conflicting network driver that was installed on my system by Virtualbox. I don't want to make any changes to my virtualbox setup. So OA is out. Now comes PF. Since all of you advised not to keep two firewalls, I uninstalled PF. The reason is, I trust NIS well enough. Moreover I've paid for the NIS so why not use it!!!

Reactions: vrb93 and Ink
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.