Is it a real warning?

Emmy

Thread author
Jul 28, 2015
Hello,
I recently got a warning saying I was accessing illegal stuff and have to pay a fine. I kept clicking back but it kept popping up so I just closed the window. It had a whole thing stating the law and how big the fine could be and so on. It also stated something like until it is looked at....
I looked up a lot of different sites on spasm like that but could not find any that matched the pop up that I saw.
Are there any legit sites/pop ups that the police use to warn internet users or is it safe to consider all of these types of pop ups spam?
Thanks and I hope somebody answers soon cause I am freaking out!

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
No, it's a fake warning. If it was from an on-line website, it's a scam. Closing the window would be advisable, don't click or follow any links.

FBI Ransomware is another sort of scam, but it more difficult to remove, as it's encrypts (locks) the files on your PC in exchange for bitcoin (on-line encrypted money) payments.

If you did do anything illegal, you would have received a letter from your ISP via post, or a knock on the door from local law enforcement. But if you have not done anything, then there is nothing to worry about.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Just to add some visual details to what the other members said, most likely it was just an infected web page. Usually this type of screen is shown:
1.jpg

3.png

Of course this is a fake warning, and you should not send any money to these cyber criminals. Furthermore you should scan your computer with an on-demand scanner (Malwarebytes or HitmanPro)

Cch123

Level 7
Verified
May 6, 2014
And also, if you indeed stumble upon an illegal site already siezed by the government, you should see something like this:
darkode-offline-seized-fbi-arrests.png

Ransomeware and this takedown notice may look similar, but a key difference is that Governments will never ask you to pay a fine or make any form of transfer of money.

Tani

Level 9
Verified
Nov 25, 2014
it's totally FAKE bro stay away from such things no ever warns in such a way.

Reactions: Ink

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
As others said its a fake already. Let's put it in the little logic.

1) If you are not doing anything wrong, don't you think those police will caught you from the first place?
2) Police will go to your house with arrest warrant if you are been committed to the crime, but again if you didn't violate anything then why worry?
3) Police are not giving any unsolicited purpose, only those criminals that are in demand for ransom.
4) In order to track you in the internet, if proven you are committed a cybercrime then track of all IP address should cover but without any warning.

Reactions: Ink and WinXPert

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
1) None of us can say we've never done/do anything 'wrong'; besides, 'wrong' and 'illegal' aren't always synonymous
2) Police, like the rest of us, make mistakes and get bad intel and they are not immune from 1) above
3) I think I follow but not everyone knows procedure--criminals play on this
4) Not everyone is technically savvy--criminals play on this

Defenses against such things:
  • Never, ever make a monetary decision where emotion is involved! (In this case, fear and sense of urgency--which criminals play on) This also helps with falling into hyperconsumerism
  • If you're uncertain, get certain by verifying (which is what you did by posting about it first) with authoritative sources preferably
heh...some could argue that using the UN logo doesn't really pose any kind of threat at all! :p

So, yes, totally fake. Your pressing concern now is how infected your computer is and how best to deal with current cleanup and future prevention. In addition to what was suggested by posting in the Malware Removal Assistance forum, you could also post your current config in that forum and solicit advice.

Reactions: WinXPert

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
That's an "if" and that's just this time. I would install herdProtect and Malwarebytes and scan the whole enchilada.

Reactions: frogboy and Jack

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.