Is Tor safe to use??...Can i use lastpass along with Tor??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ajay123

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Nov 12, 2014
Hello guys,
I've recently heard that Tor browser is a completely anonymous and secure way to access the Internet without anyone being able to monitor your browsing and trace it back to you. I would like to know whether it is safe to use Tor...Can i install LastPass plugin along with Tor???

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
  • The Tor Browser will block browser plugins such as Flash, RealPlayer, Quicktime, and others: they can be manipulated into revealing your IP address. Similarly, we do not recommend installing additional addons or plugins into the Tor Browser, as these may bypass Tor or otherwise harm your anonymity and privacy.
I seen this on the Tor Homepage.

Ajay123

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Nov 12, 2014
  • The Tor Browser will block browser plugins such as Flash, RealPlayer, Quicktime, and others: they can be manipulated into revealing your IP address. Similarly, we do not recommend installing additional addons or plugins into the Tor Browser, as these may bypass Tor or otherwise harm your anonymity and privacy.
I seen this on the Tor Homepage.
@Fedora ....Thanks....Any other browsers or softwares that will provide anonymity and security?

scot

Level 9
Verified
Dec 5, 2014
Plugins (other than HTTPS Everywhere & No Script) are disabled by default in Tor Browser. This is due to the fact they are outside of Tor developer's control and contain known problems which can be used to coerce your real IP address from your browser.
If you still want to use the plugins you can but be aware that this will open up the possibility of your real IP leaking, compromising your anonymity and rendering TorBrowser useless.
This is the least secure option and I would highly recommend against it if you are serious about using Tor properly.

Last edited:

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
I think Tor is very secure as the Russian Government has offered a $114,000 reward. Personally I believe the likes of us, the average internet user the NSA, GCHQ is not interested in. I no longer do internet banking and agree that is a risk, and I encrypt my documents using RSA 2048 look around you can learn a lot here! As Eric Schmidt once said "The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had."

Rahadian Putra

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 28, 2014
Maybe you can install it, but i do not recommend it, as @MalwareHunter said...if u use Tor for privacy, you should take it more seriously by not using LastPass, and if you think you really need password manager, then you should go grab and use KeePass instead, its open sourced password manager, easy to use and store your data locally, why you store your data in the cloud (privacy issues) when you can keep it by your self offline (locally). Besides as also @Fedora quoted from official site..using 3rd party plugins could risk to reveal your real IP address.

-Is Tor safe to use?
Well you should ask it in more specific way, if you mean by "Can I use Tor for internet banking?" uhm..I am not really sure, since our posts is read by public...all I can say is before you use Tor for internet banking you should do some research it , and unless you are very confident and had proof about Tor is safe to use for internet banking then I do not recommend it for internet banking, why? because Tor has risk "Man in the middle attack" well of course that is from what I heard, I am not really sure tho. From what I understand behind how Tor browser work.

Let's say..I want to deliver a message to you, instead by delivering this message directly to you, I give this message to Fedora, and Fedora give my message to Tony Cole, then Tony Cole give my message to Scot and finally Scot give my message to you. So can anyone open/read my message? yes perhaps..they (Fedora/Tony Cole/Scot) perhaps can read/open my message although Tor claim that no one would be able to open it except you (my target) but who knows right? probably they can't at this moment, but once they can...it would be very dangerous, so I rather not use it for internet banking if I were you, better safe than sorry.

But in Privacy perspective, Yes..I am very confident Tor hide your identity very seriously, that's why Tor is commonly used for privacy matters, and Tor has good reputation regarding this matter, why? because...like what I illustrated before..instead of delivering my message directly to you, I gave it to some people, Fedora never know where this message from, he think I was another guy deliver my message through him, and once Fedora give my message through Tony Cole, Tony didn't know either whether Fedora was the 1st person want to give his message through him, so only you (my target) know that I was the 1st person want to give this message through some people, this way..if Mr.X want to track my message, he would find difficult way to track it, because I handed it over through some people. Mr X never know whether me/Fedora/Tony Cole/Scot was the 1st person want to deliver this message to you. The more people using Tor, then Tor become stronger (due to the fact Tor has many people to route its traffic).

But of course what I am saying could be wrong, again I do not recommend it to use Tor for internet banking purpose unless you are very confident with it, but if you use it for Anonymity purpose, then go ahead, and good luck for whatever people trying to track you down :D
I also read somewhere now even google tracking people who gonna search "Tor browser" or even download it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.