iSkysoft trustworthy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chigwells

Level 4
Thread author
Jan 16, 2012
Hi All,

I recently took advantage of the Glary giveaway site to grab myself a pdf editor.

http://giveaway.glarysoft.com/iskysoftpdfeditorv2.0.1-580/

I've always used the free version of PDF Xchange Viewer (Tracker software) which works excelently except for a restricted ability to edit pdfs.

My problem with iSkysoft is that Comodo doesn't recognize it, please see attached screenshot.

I know that iSkysoft products have been promoted on the giveaway forum of this site, my question is: is everyone happy with the company?

Thanks in advance for any pointers! Chig

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
The fact that it was not recognized is not very relevant, relax it's not malware. If it's good, though, I cant tell.

I

illumination

I have not used this software either, but can tell you, just because it is not in Comodo's database, does not mean it is malicious. I have seen files from several legit applications land in that box! You could always click the box next to the file "check it" and then click the "up arrow" in the middle bottom of the screen and "move" it to trusted files.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Like illumination said, the iSkysoft file is the Comodo Unrecognized Files because the company does not have this file in the white list database. If you take into account the source from which you have downloaded the program, the Virustotal results and the fact that iSkysoft is known as legit program.. you should be safe.

Here are more details:
Comodo said:
Once installed, the HIPS watches all file system activity on your computer. Every new executable file introduced to the computer, is first scanned against the Comodo certified safe files database. If they are not safe, they are added to the 'Unrecognized Files' for users to review and possibly submit to Comodo. Apart from new executables, any executables that are modified are also moved to the 'Unrecognized Files' area.

'Unrecognized Files' is specifically important while HIPS is in 'Clean PC Mode'. In Clean PC Mode, the files in 'Unrecognized Files' are NOT considered clean. For more information, please check 'Clean PC Mode' on the HIPS settings page.

The 'Unrecognized Files' panel displays the list of files added as Unrecognized Files and allows you to assess the pending files to determine whether or not they are to be trusted. If they are trustworthy, they can be moved to 'Trusted Files' using the 'Move to' button. Similarly, files that are suspicious can be moved to the 'Blocked Files' area.

You can also add files upon which you are suspicious into 'Unrecognized Files' list to check whether the master Comodo safe list contains more information on them or to submit the files to Comodo for analysis. Experts at Comodo will analyze the files and add them to global white-list or black-list accordingly.

Read more: http://help.comodo.com/topic-72-1-451-4780-.html

Chigwells

Level 4
Thread author
Jan 16, 2012
Sorry, I thought I'd replied earlier today. Anyway, much appreciated all replies, gives me a bit more of an idea how to decide if software is trustworthy.

As you point out Jack, the source is Glary software, Virustotal isn't troubled by it, and it's very present on Facebook (which isn't on my radar anyway, would never have thought of checking there), three good pointers it's legit.

As far as being any good, to be honest I'm quite happy with PDF Xchange Viewer (Tracker Software) for pdf reading and annotation, except for ONE THING, namely those blank pages, they drive me up the wall, I really mainly took advantage of the Glary offer to delete those pesky blank pages :)

Thanks all for your pointers! chig

Last edited:
Reactions: Jack

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I have never used any of their software before but I can't find anything bad about their software or company except for they have some paid products that appears to be junkware video converters, youtube downloaders, etc. which you can easily find free popular alternatives known to work excellent. I don't think they have anything malicious since they are trying to sell their products.

Thanks. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.