Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
It’s time to upgrade to an SSD if you’re still using a mechanical hard drive in your computer. An SSD is the single biggest upgrade you can give your computer, and prices have come down dramatically.

Solid-state drives are so much faster because they don’t have a spinning magnetic platter and moving head. After upgrading, you’ll be amazed at the performance improvements and wondering why you waited so long.

Why SSDs Blow Mechanical Disks Out of the Water
We used CrystalDiskMark to benchmark a recent, inexpensive solid-state drive and a 7200 RPM hard disk drive. Here are the results, with the SSD on the top and the older mechanical drive on the bottom.
650x783xcrystaldiskmark-ssd-vs-hdd-performance-benchmark.png.pagespeed.ic.1q94JzFHDp.webp

The results speak for themselves. Even with sequential writes reads and writes, the SSD was more than twice as fast. When it came to one particular type of random reads and writes — reads and writes to random locations all over the disk — the SSD was more than 400 times as fast. With a mechanical hard drive, the physical heads need to move around to read data from a spinning magnetic disk. With a solid-state drive, the drive can read or write data from any location on the disk with no performance penalty.
Full Article

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
If however you're concerned about privacy and anti-forensics, an SSD is a very bad idea. Most SSDs are very good at storing information as detailed in the article above, however they aren't very good at erasing it. Some SSDs however such as the latest Kingston models, do include an in-built secure erase function, so look out for that on the feature list before you buy :D

vindiesel

Level 7
Verified
Apr 15, 2013
Hello friends I have a 120GB SSD for OS and HDD 1000 GB to store and install games.
If you decide to buy a SSD go to the Bios settings and change IDE to AHCI, this greatly accelerates the SSD
2nulwkj.png

Optimize SSD hard drive to last longer.

33nxg10.png

155j71c.png

335bd6o.png

2mfdvf8.png

zlwtur.png

Sorry buddy but only have it in Spanish, I hope to be useful.

Nedim

Level 12
Verified
Mar 17, 2013
I have a Samsung EVO 250 GB. In my opinion an SSD is absolutely the best investment you can make for your PC.
I put OS and programs on the SSD and everything else (docs, pics, movies, files) on a separate HDD.

HankTheCowDog

Oct 30, 2014
But when the SSD goes, goodbye, no click of death, just lights out, game over. At least that's been my experience with two of them; the remaining 3 are still doing ok.

That being said, I still like the clunky old platter drives too, especially the price on smaller drives. Like others, I only run the OS/programs on the drives, so smaller platter drives are still a good option, even if you have to wait another 30 seconds to boot.

Adhit Prakosho

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
and prices have come down dramatically.
You are absolutely right about the SSD but for the price in Indonesia is still relatively expensive. for 120 GB Sata 3 = average above ($83,3)

I use the Kingston HyperX 3K SH103S3 240GB SATA3 :)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Yes SSD is a new era of technology of having fast performance not just on read/write but also when use to install for OS. Everything is effortless however the price become a problem.

My laptop came with built in 2GB SSD and it became a place of storage files as external.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.