Jadequest's System configuration is:

Do I have too many extensions in Google Chrome and Firefox?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
S

Sr. Normal

Hi @jadequest99

I think you have too many extensions.

Choose: ublock or Adblock Plus or Adguard and have only one. I recommend ublock or Adguard

I also have Ghostery , Wot and LastPass not need more for 90 % of my navigation

Do you need so much have dictionaries in the browser when browsing translate ?, I recommend Chrome and derivatives that already has built- icon and and you no need to load an extension translate. I think it's better to open a page that is a dictionary when needed , continually have the extension loaded

Otherwise tell you that you have a very good configuration , when you depures your browser will be excellent

Thanks for sharing, Kind regards

Last edited by a moderator:

jadequest99

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Sep 15, 2014
Hi @jadequest99

I think you have too many extensions.

Choose: ublock or Adblock Plus or Adguard and have only one. I recommend ublock or Adguard

I also have Ghostery , Wot and LastPass not need more for 90 % of my navigation

Do you need so much have dictionaries in the browser when browsing translate ?, I recommend Chrome and derivatives that already has built- icon and and you no need to load an extension translate. I think it's better to open a page that is a dictionary when needed , continually have the extension loaded

Otherwise tell you that you have a very good configuration , when you depures your browser will be excellent

Thanks for sharing, Kind regards
Great response, thank you for the advice, actually alot of the extensions are on Mozilla Firefox because that's how my wife likes her browser. I prefer using Google Chrome doesn't have as many security issues and most of the time if I need to re-install it i don't have to re-do all my preferences are saved and Firefox you have to do everything from scratch.

Also I normally don't 'Enable" all the extensions cause it causes the browser to slow down so I turn on when needed.

Last edited:

jadequest99

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Sep 15, 2014
Can you please explain where is the "Overkill?" You mean on extensions or overall? Including my OS.

S

Sr. Normal

LastPass keeps the key in the cloud. If you install LastPass Browser no matter what browser , no matter whether it is Windows or Linux, you will not have to reconfigure any password .

If your wife likes Mozilla , let me recommend cyberfox ,is Firefox but improved is configured for your processor and gives better performance.

Kind Regards :)

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

jadequest99

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Sep 15, 2014
Very good config
Thanks for sharing your config:)
Thank you any positive and supportive feedback most welcomed.

LastPass keeps the key in the cloud. If you install LastPass Browser no matter what browser , no matter whether it is Windows or Linux, you will not have to reconfigure any password .

If your wife likes Mozilla , let me recommend cyberfox ,is Firefox but improved is configured for your processor and gives better performance.

Kind Regards :)
Brilliant!! I searched for cyberfox but it only comes in for 64 bit? Is there a official website?

Reactions: Sr. Normal

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
The official Cyberfox site is www.8pecxstudios.com.:)

Edit: I've enjoyed using their portable 64 bit version (extracted onto an external USB Flash drive) which avoids changes to registries, & updates are made installing over the previous version.

*moving backwards* Thank you for sharing your configuration, jadequest99!:D It is a good practice disabling extensions as I personally enjoy switching out adblockers, for example ublock for Adguard which I've done today. I fully understand how the collector that decorates your wife's Firefox can find it hard to let go of old friends even when they drain resources and really don't offer a lot in the exchange (I'm speaking of extensions, not people, lol!!!:D). Hi, my name is Cats, and I'm a recovering Add-on-aholic.:rolleyes::p

In order to block 3rd party cookies in Chrome:
  1. From Settings scroll to the bottom >> Show Advanced settings...
  2. Under Privacy choose >> Content Settings... >> Cookies >> mark box "Block third party cookies & site data"
  3. Additionally, I choose "Keep local data only until you quit browser"
  • Optional for added privacy: Browse using "Incognito", but be sure to allow the extensions you just can't live without!;) :D

Last edited:

jadequest99

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Sep 15, 2014

jadequest99

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Sep 15, 2014
You'll see that @Cats-4_Owners-2 is one of the most friendly faces in this forum , if you also present yourself with this avatar ... ;)
Which Avatar are you referring to? You mean your picture avatar or the little smiley face icon? Sorry I don't know what you mean?

Edit: I've enjoyed using their portable 64 bit version (extracted onto an external USB Flash drive) which avoids changes to registries, & updates are made installing over the previous version.

*moving backwards* Thank you for sharing your configuration, jadequest99!:D It is a good practice disabling extensions as I personally enjoy switching out adblockers, for example ublock for Adguard which I've done today. I fully understand how the collector that decorates your wife's Firefox can find it hard to let go of old friends even when they drain resources and really don't offer a lot in the exchange (I'm speaking of extensions, not people, lol!!!:D). Hi, my name is Cats, and I'm a recovering Add-on-aholic.:rolleyes::p

In order to block 3rd party cookies in Chrome:
  1. From Settings scroll to the bottom >> Show Advanced settings...
  2. Under Privacy choose >> Content Settings... >> Cookies >> mark box "Block third party cookies & site data"
  3. Additionally, I choose "Keep local data only until you quit browser"
  • Optional for added privacy: Browse using "Incognito", but be sure to allow the extensions you just can't live without!;) :D
Thank you for all your help and there are other community members responding also, like @Sr. Normal

S

Sr. Normal

Your cat cub photo, He is charmed with these small, have you seen him avatar? They are two united cats sleeping, or simply happy to be relaxed together. Here you are going to enjoy, the people are very friendly, they have helped me / taught very much.
Excuse my English , I use several translators , but I can not make myself understood on many occasions. For thatt I am late so much sometimes in answering

Reactions: jadequest99

jadequest99

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Sep 15, 2014
Your cat cub photo, He is charmed with these small, have you seen him avatar? They are two united cats sleeping, or simply happy to be relaxed together. Here you are going to enjoy, the people are very friendly, they have helped me / taught very much.
Excuse my English , I use several translators , but I can not make myself understood on many occasions. For thatt I am late so much sometimes in answering
Oh I understand you thanks for being kind and informative.:D

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Which Avatar are you referring to? You mean your picture avatar or the little smiley face icon? Sorry I don't know what you mean?
Your Avatar (picture) of the cute little grey & white striped kitten, is very similar to (2) or our four furry ones.:p

By the way, I almost forgot (..key word is almost) to share a free tool that is also an effective privacy software.
CCleaner is a well accepted and safe utility. It's also something that can be used daily to enhance your privacy by sweeping away accumulated files & tracers that are unnecessary yet build up on your system.
At the bottom of the page is also a link to optionally download their portable version (it's under builds) which is extracted onto an external USB flash drive, and the version I use.:)
You'll see that @Cats-4_Owners-2 is one of the most friendly faces in this forum , if you also present yourself with this avatar ... ;)

Sr. Normal has an additional gift he shares, that of speaking with a honeyed tongue connected to a sincere heart!;) It also promotes how "addictive" Malware Tips can be!:D

jadequest99

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Sep 15, 2014
I would suggest downsizing on some of the extensions & toolbars.Other than that it looks good!!
Thank You for the info. I just downloaded and installed 'Cyberfox" thanks to Cats-4_Owners-2 and Sr. Normal finally got it to work using Internet explorer and changing the Emsisoft Press Guard in the left menu and go to the tab Surf Protection. Configure the Malware hosts, Phishing hosts and Privacy Risks with the dropdown menu to Alert because it kept blocking the website. BTW, is that first icon a ZoneAlarm? then ESET and finally Kaspersky??

Last edited:
Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.