Not open for further replies.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
A jailbreak for any new iOS operating system is always to be expected; but the group that delivered the iOS 6 jailbreak has surprisingly released a full iOS 7 untethered jailbreak just in time for Christmas. However, succumbing to common software pressures, it may have been a bit rushed. Be careful; it's buggy and installs a Chinese app store.

"Jailbreak has essentially bricked my iPhone 3. Great one," tweeted Tom Richardson, a YouTuber with Redmond Pie, yesterday. He is not alone. But while bugs can always be expected, and especially in new software, perhaps the biggest concern has been over the discovery of a relationship between the Evad3rs developers and the Chinese app store Taig.

The usual route for Western jailbreaks is Cydia. Yesterday, reportsMacRumors, "Cydia administrator Jay Freeman [aka Saurik] noted on his Twitter that he was not informed about a new version of the jailbreak before its release. Beyond that, he also reported that the new jailbreak automatically installs a third party app store named Taig which distributes cracked apps in China."

TechCrunch goes further. It points out that users who successfully jailbreak iOS 7 found, "This Chinese app store offered Chinese-language apps but a little something extra, as well: pages and pages of cracked, pirated games." It suggests that the motivation for Evad3rs was financial. "The group made 'around a million dollars' in placement fees for adding TaiG to Chinese iPhones. While the actual number is currently unknown, my source explained that the rumors were true and that the fee was well within that 'order of magnitude.'

Evad3rs has responded with an open letter to the 'Jailbreak Community' comprising an explanation for the relationship with Taig and an apology for the piracy. The group points out that users are not locked into Taig. "Cydia can also be installed and Taig removed afterwards. It would be deeply hypocritical to remove choice from the user in the course of jailbreaking."

Read more: http://www.infosecurity-magazine.com/view/36248/jailbreak-for-apple-ios-7-released-but-beware/

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I have long since moved from the iPhone but when I had one I was a big fan of jailbreaking.It removes restrictions and affords you and endless amount of great apps,tweaks and OS customization.However I was always cautious about a new release Just for the fact that you can brick your phone although I have never had a problem.I did however always wait to update the OS until there was a new jailbreak from Cydia.
This however doesn't seem like the time to jailbreak,I would wait for the stable Cydia release.It is worth the wait.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I have long since moved from the iPhone but when I had one I was a big fan of jailbreaking.It removes restrictions and affords you and endless amount of great apps,tweaks and OS customization.However I was always cautious about a new release Just for the fact that you can brick your phone although I have never had a problem.I did however always wait to update the OS until there was a new jailbreak from Cydia.
This however doesn't seem like the time to jailbreak,I would wait for the stable Cydia release.It is worth the wait.

http://www.redmondpie.com/cydia-sub...e-for-ios-7-64-bit-devices-released-in-cydia/ :)

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
The Cydia substrate update is good news.If you can get rid of that Chinese app store with this that would be even better.If it were me though I think I would wait for a jailbreak via Cydia.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
The Cydia substrate update is good news.If you can get rid of that Chinese app store with this that would be even better.If it were me though I think I would wait for a jailbreak via Cydia.

Cydia is the unofficial app store, he doesn't jailbreak he just provides that cydia app store. It's the dev teams that do the jailbreaking. Chinese app has been removed :)

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Cydia is the unofficial app store, he doesn't jailbreak he just provides that cydia app store. It's the dev teams that do the jailbreaking. Chinese app has been removed :)
I understand but there might be a better more stable one released later on

Reactions: ZeroDay

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I would imagine once Apple stops updating its software to devices there will be a final stable version.It is good news for those that jailbreak,when I had an iPhone I always ran the jailbreak,it is just a waiting game.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I was going to jailbreak my iPad but I've just no reason too. It does all I need it to do. But I do realise a lot of people rely on certain tweaks that come with jail breaking.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I like being able to run certain apps without wifi restriction.Cydia has some awesome apps,some I miss and wish they had them on Android.The tweaking is endless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.