BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Note to readers :

This test is not proving that one tool is better than another, tho some of them are proved to be better than the other one in some cases and vice versa. I made this test just because I was bored and wanted to see what tool will clean the most of junk in my specific situation, my browsing habits, on my specific set of programs, at the specific time, and this specific combination of programs. Do not take this test for granted.
Also, some of these programs are very powerful, be very cautious when using them. Backup your important data and create a System Restore Point, just in case something goes wrong. I have been using these tools for quite some time and know how the works, and at the end, I have the backup of my System Partition if something goes wrong (and it didn't), and everything can be restored in 15 min the way it was.

Hi guys. :)

I was bored so I decided to see what was left on my HDD after installation of Update 3 for Windows 8.1, that has been deployed today.

Test Machine :

Well, it's my laptop, real machine, don't have hardware for testing purposes on VirtualBox or VMware. It has Windows 8.1 Professional x86, with 2GB of RAM and 50GB on System Partition. All you need to know :p

What did I do :

The amount of junk left on the HDD, isn't much. I have just browsing the MalwareTips, Facebook, YouTube, Softpedia and Majorgeeks, downloaded a few updated software, and at the end, updated my Windows to Update 3, which took around 15 min to install by the way. Browsing by Google Chrome v39.

The programs put to the test are
  • CCleaner v4.19
  • Wise Disk Cleaner v8.35
  • Privazer v2.23
  • Windows build in Disk Clean-Up

Test Results at the first scan

e03afkO.jpg

qgELoKW.jpg

kEo1CaK.jpg

ak4EoN0.jpg

VRanMTH.jpg

QSaTtGQ.jpg

Note :
CCleaner's options Windows Error Reporting and Network Passwords are turned ON. Wise Disk Cleaner's all boxes checked, except for Zero-Byte files. Windows Disk CleanUp all boxes checked and on Privazer excluded everything that matters of cleaning the free space, and memory allocation.
(I forgot to untick Registry Cleaning)

I decided to clean the system first with PrivaZer
OhgZNBu.jpg

The cleaning took so long because I gone for Normal Cleanup, and its shredding the files.

Scanned again

yZ7DLJ6.jpg
ipX41FW.jpg

SZILv96.jpg
O2oka29.jpg

hUmXA9n.png

From above results given, I deduce that PrivaZer cleaned up what Wise Disk Cleaner's Common Cleaner found in the first place, and some 100mb in Advanced Cleaner, but still CCleaner shows that 90mb remains, and Wise Disk Cleaner shows that around ~400mb (with Common and Advanced Cleaner overlapping) remains.
Windows Disk CleanUp still shows that there are 277mb of residual Windows Update files o_Oo_Oo_O
We'll see that later.

Let's go on

Let's clean remaining junk by Wise Disk Cleaner, first with Common Cleaner and then with Advanced Cleaner and then Slimming System. Note that number of files found on scan and on clean differs.

6Zbn1W0.png

lH1c3tg.png

KgUvW4u.png

Well, Wise Disk Cleaner seems to removed ~430mb of unneeded files. And seems that Advanced Cleaner removed "Windows Installer Baseline Cache" also, as this option shows that only 1.3mb left.

Note : Windows installer baseline cache could be deleted, but aware that by removing the baseline cache for a product, future repair, patch install, and patch uninstall scenarios may require your original installation media. If you have the drive space it is recommended that you keep the baseline caches available. (Microsoft)

Windows Installer Baseline Cache is just a copy of any program's setup file that uses Microsoft Windows Installer as a packer (.msi). So, if the program doesn't come with additional uninstall wizard (as a separate module) you might not be able to uninstall or repair specific program without it's copy stored on Windows Installer Baseline Cache. On the other hand, most of programs, program and windows updates come with uninstall options nowadays and can be easily downloaded from their original source if you have any problems uninstalling/repairing them.
Advice : Do not delete Windows Installer Baseline Cache files right after they were created. If Microsoft had made some mistake in it's update service and wants to release a new patch quickly, maybe it will need those files for the update operation. Don't loose your mind if some program or Windows Update(s) won't install/uninstall because you've deleted it's setup file stored in Windows Installer Baseline Cache, just find what cannot be uninstalled/repaired and download it's setup file from a Microsoft or other original source.

Let's reboot (As advanced cleaner asked) and scan again

dzK450d.png

d6V5lqp.png

hMYceZf.png

And yep, these 50mb of files that Wise Disk Cleaner found are locked by the system, and actually can be deleted, but outside of Windows. CCleaner results are negligible, but Windows Disk CleanUp still shows mysterious 277mb of Windows Update fileso_Oo_Oo_O

I have started to clean those files and as soon as I heard my laptop screaming like a motorcycle, I opened Task Manager and saw Dism process(es) and CPU load at 93% average. It didn't take me much to guess that Disk CleanUp is not removing those files, but compressing them, to save space.
I have canceled the operation.

Conclusion

From these results I got that,there were ~ 1GB of junk on my System Partition.
Wise Disk Cleaner found the most junk, followed by PrivaZer and CCleaner.
Windows DiskCleanUp I won't comment.

I noticed that Wise Disk Cleaner and PrivaZer actually can find residual installers, update files and junk left by updating your Windows. In the past, when I installed Windows 7 SP1 + MS Office 2013 Pro, and update both to that day (it was May 2014 I think), there were so much junk left on the HDD that you can store a 1080p BluRay Rip of some movie encoded by SPARKS (I didn't told you that :D ) I am talking about 4-5GB.

I have a need for having these tools around.
Do you?

Thank you for your time. :)

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Always guys ;) Thank you for your support and kind words, and sorry for image quality of some screenshots. I noticed later that if you are using Snipping Tool, it's always better to save in PNG format than a JPG format.

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Excellent review and i must say that i was expecting CCleaner to top this test.
A few months back i was using Wise Care Free 365 and i was satisfied with it but i change to CCleaner.Maybe after this test i will return to Wise.
Thanks BoraMurdar for the review:)

YuanJiawj

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 9, 2014
Always guys ;) Thank you for your support and kind words, and sorry for image quality of some screenshots. I noticed later that if you are using Snipping Tool, it's always better to save in PNG format than a JPG format.
Yes, for better quality its better .png, anyway the most important its the review and the images are secondary :eek:

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Great review, BoraMurdar!
It would be interesting to see how CCleaner performs with CCEnhancer...
CCEnhancer can enhance CCleaner's cleaning, but at the same time it's very dangerous. I have read it on the forums that it deleted some files needed by other programs by mistake, like Office licence, Apps in Windows 8 and their icons, broke Windows Defender, etc...
In my case, it deleted .Net Framework(s) and all programs needed by it, so I had to reinstall them but first removing residuals by special removing tools.
So, be cautious ;)

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Its a user preference choice since those little tool have different types of algorithm and the way it detects.

Expected those different results as long those tools did not cause problems in the PC. ;)
True :)
I am not saying that you shouldn't use CCleaner for example, just because it detected less junk in this case. CCleaner is great little tool that every computer should have. My opinion - There are better ones.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Did recommended options do this ?
One day in the past, common cleaner deleted my Opera bookmarks :mad:
Yes, Wise Disk Cleaner has an option "Windows Metro Cache" checked by default. That needs to be unticked if you don't want your apps to be reset. (in my case)
Capture.PNG

Just check everything that is ticked on default settings, so the program will not delete what you don't want to ;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.