Jurassic armour plates :P

Mosasaur_Jw

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 30, 2014
I have bought a license for that , but maybe I will change : I am not to sure about some of its components especially the registry cleaner. maybe I will give glary a try or wisecare. I do not like advanced system care ( sorry ) think its too agressive , the only iobit program I use is driver booster which serves me well.

D

Deleted member 21043

Nice config ;)

Technically someone could just make some ransomware which Kaspersky doesn't detect using the same encryption as CryptoWall etc (RSA?), it could be a file Kaspersky has never approached before or been analysed and use features to prevent detection through behaviour analysis. The chances can be low but it's possible. Nothing is fullproof.
There's no such thing as a "unkillable" process. There will always be a way to close it, regardless of how powerful it's code is, as long as the developer knows how. I mean, despite hooking into TerminateProcess(), pskill etc there should always be a way to close the process (Kaspersky) in kernel32.dll, advapi32.dll (phandle (process),....), ntdll.dll (entrypoint - NtSetInformationProcess). Then after it's closed, the new malware could do the encryption. BAM! Now your PC is comprimised with Ransomware which is charging money to decrypt your files. The worst bit is you never know if it really will give your files back decrypted after payment.

I also think you should stop using TuneUp by AVG.
The only times I have ever received it on my PC is through adware bundled through installers, accidentally... And that particular installer never mentioned anything about it (no boxes to untick/options) (adware), so... Yeah. Kind of funny how a Security companies' product is bundled in a installer, appearing like adware considering I had no option but oh well... You can try Glarysoft Utilities, I found it better for a beginner with cleaning products (especially registry cleaning) to get started with it. Only use Advanced Systemcare if you know what you are doing with your registry etc because it is very easy to mess up and have something go wrong with the registry cleaner, and that never happened with CCleaner or Glarysoft. Only advanced systemcare I have been told about the issues, and myself as a user of ASC I have had that issue occured (long time ago when I first used it of course ;) ). Personally, I think ASC is better but then again, if you don't want to end up accidentally messing anything take the safer route.

I assume you know to check your Torrents before using them?
Torrents is a known way for getting infected. Say your downloading, you get that popup about protection and upgrading for malware security on uTorrent (ignore it as usual) and then you get infected. Be careful ;)

You made a typo:
It's "CCleaner"!

I have never used Privazer, HTTPS Everywhere or Aomei backup so I cannot provide any suggestions with those.

Reactions: Mosasaur_Jw

Mosasaur_Jw

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 30, 2014
I only download movies nothing else and I only use legit / bought software , no cracks / hacks , patches what so ever. and I am terryfied to death of ransoms so I added cryptoprevent as an extra layer ( I know some cryptos can bypass this program . )

D

Deleted member 21043

I have bought a license for that , but maybe I will change : I am not to sure about some of its components especially the registry cleaner. maybe I will give glary a try or wisecare. I do not like advanced system care ( sorry ) think its too agressive , the only iobit program I use is driver booster which serves me well.

Your right about the registry cleaner, I wrote something about that above before reading this comment from you.

Heads up, IObit Driver Booster gets me the incorrect drivers everytime. The first time I used it I didn't bother to check, I was aware my PC was outdated with drivers. Guess what, my screen got messed up with the display etc and it got me the wrong drivers. I had to manually sort things out and it wasted my day :(

So the moral of the story is double check before you trust it.
Never used that phrase, "moral of the story is,..." :D

Mosasaur_Jw

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 30, 2014
Iobit driver booster did not give me any trouble yet and I have been using it for more than a year. I will have a lookout , thanks for the warning ( if something will fail I do an image restore ) and aomei does the job great , no errors or corruptions what so ever :)

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Im not a Tuneup Utilities fan and personally would not use it.Privazer is an excellent program as is CCleaner.Your config looks good!!! Thanks for sharing it with us :)

Mosasaur_Jw

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 30, 2014
have decided to remove tuneup utilities and replaced it with glary utilities. it could be me , but I did notice some comparisons with Iobit Advanced System Care ( settings menu and so on , they share the same look ) we will see how this works out.

rebel4life

Level 9
Verified
Sep 30, 2012
driver booster i have been using it for years no problem but i do check after to make sure the right drivers are installed beats spending hours searching for your drivers from sites

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Torrents is a known way for getting infected. Say your downloading, you get that popup about protection and upgrading for malware security on uTorrent (ignore it as usual) and then you get infected. Be careful ;)

Does uTorrent now offer the Plus version for its free users?

Users are normally infected with either PUP before downloading, or malware after executing any downloaded content.

D

Deleted member 21043

Does uTorrent now offer the Plus version for its free users?

Users are normally infected with either PUP before downloading, or malware after executing any downloaded content.
Yes, I remember having many popups about "upgrading" to it's Pro version. On the site is also shows the paid version.

Yeah, that's what I meant about the malware thing. I was talking about him downloading and then opening it to get infected/find it's malware. However, I guess if he had a good Anti-Malware product the behaviour blocker could fish it out.

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Nice config, I agree with others about the tuneup utilities, they aren't necessary but no point in dumping it if you have a license already ;)

Since you're using Chrome, I'd recommend dumping Adblock for uBlock. Compared to Adblock Plus, uBlock uses half the memory and is just as efficient since it uses the same lists. It's simplified interface (one button on/off switch) is great and having been an Adblock advocate myself up until recently I now spend my time recommending that people like yourself at least give uBlock a whirl for a few days. Take a look at your memory usage and see what you think :p

Mosasaur_Jw

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 30, 2014
hello @Cowpipe I had ublock , but for some strane reason it does not play as nice with kis as adblock plus does , webpage loading does take longer. thanks for your advice though :p

Reactions: Cowpipe

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
You say that you have an Advanced knowledge of Windows, yet you use "tune up" softwares and third party programs to update your drivers.

I'm sorry but I'll have to doubt on your Advanced knowledge of Windows because of that. No offence too.

Mosasaur_Jw

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 30, 2014
@Aura I do have the knowledge on how to tune my system and how to update drivers myself , without the help of third party software , but I am too lazy to do it myself :p

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
@Aura I do have the knowledge on how to tune my system and how to update drivers myself , without the help of third party software , but I am too lazy to do it myself :p

Except for the GPU drivers, tell me why you would want to keep all your drivers updated if they are working perfectly fine ?

Mosasaur_Jw

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 30, 2014
I update everything because with my older machines I had nothing but trouble : freezes , crashes monitor problems and so on...better safe than sorry.

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
I update everything because with my older machines I had nothing but trouble : freezes , crashes monitor problems and so on...better safe than sorry.

Everything isn't caused by outdated drivers. You never need to update your drivers except if you actually have issues with that driver/device. You have more chances to get issues with newer drivers rather than if you stay with the current version, that is stable, that you have.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You say that you have an Advanced knowledge of Windows, yet you use "tune up" softwares and third party programs to update your drivers.

I'm sorry but I'll have to doubt on your Advanced knowledge of Windows because of that. No offence too.

LOL. Advanced knowledge covers much more than that what they use on their PC. I've seen "Advanced" members here who don't have a clue about how to Troubleshoot their OS, or what a power outlet it.

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
LOL. Advanced knowledge covers much more than that what they use on their PC. I've seen "Advanced" members here who don't have a clue about how to Troubleshoot their OS, or what a power outlet it.

This.
Best example is on HF. I lead a group called the BHCPU, The Brotherhood Computing Sector. My Sector handles the Computing area and all it's sections : Windows, White Hat Help, OS X, *nix, Hardware, etc. and my members provides qualified and professional support for the domains covered in these sections. Believe it or not, but most people that applies to join this sector are telling me that they've been doing that their own life, they're good at troubleshooting, etc. and guess what ? These are all members I assisted in the past with their own issues (often easy issues) and that couldn't fix things by themself. And then they come tell me in their application the total opposite. Kind of pisses me off. Guess it's the same here.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.