Justin Bieber Wants to Donate 10% of His Money – Scam Mail

Did you ever received this type of email scams?

• Yes

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 12 80.0%

• Total voters

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
A 419 scam is currently hitting the inboxes of various users, posing as a message from none other than Justin Bieber, who supposedly wants to make a charitable act by donating incredible sums of money, but his mother won’t let him.

Although the emails are a poor attempt of a scam, there could be some fans out there who might “beliebe” it and fall into the trap.

The address the emails appear to come from is “j.bib@outlook.com,” which may fool a young belieber as to the authenticity of the sender. The “reason” behind all this is pure generosity and that he cannot continue amassing huge piles of money without giving some away.

Should the victim engage in the email exchange, the messages try to convince them to sign up with a Swedish bank in order to receive a $680,000 (€506,000) donation from the celebrity.

The perp provides names of bank employees with whom the victim should get in touch in order to open the account, for which a deposit must be made.

Presumably, a follow-up email from the bank representative instructs the victim on the process for opening the account and the amount required.

However, in the communication prior to this, the scammer will try to convince the victim that he is indeed Justin Bieber, by providing details (date and place of birth and schools he attended) about the artist.

If the victim needs more convincing, the scammer sends a message informing that “10% of my worth have been in a Private Deposit Putting away for a Long time now and it has reached an Amount of $15,000,000.00 [€11,167,278].

“I am trying to cede this money in portions through the bank i am donating 680,000.00 USD to individuals to promote their standard of living and also donating 545,000.00 USD to AIDs Charity and 200,000.00 USD to Fire Service.”

In one of the messages, the fake Bieber says that he has a Google team working for him to create a new web page, specifically for this charitable action. Moreover, he asks for a picture of the victim and promises that, as soon as they receive their money, the Google team will publish the image on the new website.

Read more: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Justin-Bieber-Wants-to-Donate-10-of-His-Money-Scam-Mail-452174.shtml

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
Last time he made a donation was with the victims of Haiyan last year, covered by media and no email scam

Reactions: Tony Cole

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
Thanks Jack for the info! Justin Bieber does give a lot to charity. Typhoon Haiyan was terrible I donated a lot to such a terrible disaster

D

Deleted member 21043

I got spam like this before about someone who had 10 million pounds which belonged to me but needed me to give him my bank details so he could transfer the money after his flight. It was pretty funny. I just hit the "report as scam" button :D

Reactions: Cowpipe

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
I get a couple of messages from Facebook similar to @kram7750 which also reported.

D

Deleted member 178

what you have to know, is that to ensure they trust you, you will have to make a deposit in a common account they create for you and them or a transfer via Western Union...in fact you pay a bit to get the big funds they promise ^^

Reactions: Cowpipe

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Oh, yes please let me give my bank details. I want that money..

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
what you have to know, is that to ensure they trust you, you will have to make a deposit in a common account they create for you and them or a transfer via Western Union...in fact you pay a bit to get the big funds they promise ^^

Known as 'advanced fee fraud', that is a slightly different scam. Some scams do not ask for a payment, just for some innocent details to enable them to be sold for identity fraud, others are more literally, you've won $1000 but you need to pay the $10 delivery fee first, but on a much larger scale obviously

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.