Mini Spy

Latest Threads

Kaspersky 2012 vs. Norton 2012.

Discussion in 'The Community Video Reviews' started by ryan, Jun 19, 2011.

1. ryan

ryan Active Member

Wow norton is going down hill. :mad:
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2013
  2. moonshine

moonshine Active Member

Absurd idea to compare a Beta product with a Final one, :mad:
  3. Huracan

Huracan Administrator MalwareTips Staff

Media:
    I read something about SONAR / Insight not working in this test?
  4. win7holic

win7holic

yep, i can't imagine.. why need test beta vs final? beta is still need improving
    i guessing norton will be great if FINAL version released
  5. moonshine

moonshine Active Member

I can see that Norton will greatly improve after the Final is released. :cool:
  6. jamescv7

jamescv7 Active Member

Norton 2012 is still in beta stage,surely continually they are working on engines and its features to improve.
  7. marsellus

marsellus Regular Member

Who won? KIS or NIS. No:exclamation: Won CIS:p
    Such tests are not only ridiculous guy myself but the whole Comodo:s
  8. new user

new user Regular Member

No need to offend anyone who makes these tests but they are pretty pointless. Out of the thousands of malware samples that come out daily. You throw a fraction of a percent of them at a program and call it a conclusive review. These "tests" cannot possibly be accurate.
  9. MrXidus

MrXidus Super Moderator MalwareTips Staff

@new user
    They are great ways of showing off a product and in a quick manner without spending a large amount of time doing so, I leave that hard work up to the dedicated people such as AV-Comparatives.
    I have never mentioned my reviews are conclusive (Not that I am implying you did) but rather of a short display for those who quickly want to see what the product can offer.
  10. new user

new user Regular Member

Yes I completely agree, but some people (especially average people who don't know much about computers), don't know this and treat these reviews as 100% conclusive and go around saying Antivirus X is better then Antivirus Y because of Video Z.
  11. MrXidus

@new user

Yes but that is there problem for misunderstanding not mine. If there smart enough to search for a AV products video review on Youtube they can search for other reviews and information from other sources to further learn which products perform better then others. Not up to me to point that out for them.
  12. TKFlight

TKFlight Regular Member

I remember on a few of mrizo's reviews(when he was consistently making reviews) people would fight over what product was better. Product A would score 8/10 and then mrizo's would do another review and product B would score 6/10. Then all of viewers would say product A is better than product B, when that could be completely wrong. I agree with what MrXidus said. If people want to rely on youtube videos for AV reviews then that's their own problem.
  13. Dejan

Dejan

Both you and new have a point, the results of these video reviews/tests can't be used to fully judge a product, especially if only a few malware samples are tested against. However, authors of these videos, as long as they understand the above, can't be really held responsible what others might think after watching videos. But people who do this and say that "this product has the best detection/very high detection rates" after only testing against a few samples aren't really correct. To be safe when saying something like that, the person had to have tested at least against a 1000 malware samples (which of course takes a long time and can't be fitted into one video).
  14. MrXidus

In real life no average PC user in there right mind would ever counter 1000 malicious threats at once its an real sense to think that, Even if someone were to do so in each AV video they create people would still have something negative to say and a way of judging.

This is getting no where last thing I'll say.
  15. Dejan

Dejan

I know that and I'm not saying an average person needs to do this in order to make a decision, there are plenty of groups and sites for this (like AV-Comparatives etc.). But I was only saying that a tester cannot get a very accurate score without testing a lot of samples, no result can be completely accurate (so maybe I shouldn't have used that word :p).
  16. Gnosis

Gnosis Well-Known Member

I have never used either program, but I have heard good things about both of them. If I had to choose, I would go with NIS.
  17. Mark

Mark Regular Member

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/concerning-test-on-malware-using-Norton-2012-beta/m-p/477362#M3109
  18. jamescv7

jamescv7 Active Member

Not knew at all that their Sonar was an old version on beta build. At least there is an explanation came from the Sonar Team itself.
  19. Huracan

Huracan Administrator MalwareTips Staff

Media:
    Thanks for the information regarding SONAR in the beta build.
  20. bogdan

bogdan 1 of the 4 MalwareTips Founder

I would leave this kind of tests to pros like AV-Comparatives. Simply because it is hard for a single person to gather a sufficient number of samples, make sure that the samples are unique and they are not damaged, filter out any controversial samples (might not be malware) etc. Video reviews are indeed misunderstood. They are just a quick look at specific security products. The viewers should draw a conclusion only after consulting results from professional independent malware tests.

I also think you can't ask someone else to choose between good suites like KIS, NIS and CIS in your place. When it comes to suites, detections isn't the only thing that matters. You should try them out (use the trial versions) and see what works best for you. CIS has the disadvantage of not being tested enough in professional independent comparatives. COMODO users shouldn't blame people for not fully trusting the AV module in CIS, there isn't enough data available for users to say that CIS signatures are as good or better than what other companies offer.