Korora Project 20 XFCE Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

illumination

Your quick info is incorrect. Koroa is based on Fedora which is bleeding edge, and does have the newest features and latest kernel.

This is an excellent distro though, im glad to see a review of it here. It is customizable, light, and quite powerful.

UrAvgLinuxUser

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Aug 5, 2014
Your quick info is incorrect. Koroa is based on Fedora which is bleeding edge, and does have the newest features and latest kernel.

This is an excellent distro though, im glad to see a review of it here. It is customizable, light, and quite powerful.

I am sorry, but I am most likely right when I say Korora is not rolling release.

I

illumination

I am sorry, but I am most likely right when I say Korora is not rolling release.
I know it is not a rolling release, but Korora "based on Fedora" is bleeding edge, it is running 3.15.8 last i checked, and this kernel version is newer then other distro's are running, so it is indeed the latest kernel version, and Fedora is known for being bleeding edge, it is what Red Hat, CentOS, and Korora are all based from. If you look at my Config, im running Fedora, and have been for a while.

So indeed when you said it is not a rolling release and would not have latest features or current Kernel version, the latter about features and kernel are incorrect.

Im not trying to offend you, i was merely pointing out an observation that needed corrected as this is a review, and people watching should know the difference.

UrAvgLinuxUser

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Aug 5, 2014
I know it is not a rolling release, but Korora "based on Fedora" is bleeding edge, it is running 3.15.8 last i checked, and this kernel version is newer then other distro's are running, so it is indeed the latest kernel version, and Fedora is known for being bleeding edge, it is what Red Hat, CentOS, and Korora are all based from. If you look at my Config, im running Fedora, and have been for a while.

So indeed when you said it is not a rolling release and would not have latest features or current Kernel version, the latter about features and kernel are incorrect.

Im not trying to offend you, i was merely pointing out an observation that needed corrected as this is a review, and people watching should know the difference.

I know you weren't offending me!:)
Just that I said when korora was not rolling release, I did not talk about fedora at all besides the part when i said korora is based of fedora and that's great. I did not say anything of fedora being rolling release or not rolling release, just korora.

I

illumination

I know you weren't offending me!:)
Just that I said when korora was not rolling release, I did not talk about fedora at all besides the part when i said korora is based of fedora and that's great. I did not say anything of fedora being rolling release or not rolling release, just korora.
Im glad you did not take offense, it was not my intention.. I just wanted others to be aware, that even though Korora is not a rolling release, it does infact have the latest kernel version and features, because Fedora is bleeding edge, and Korora is nothing more then Fedora polished, set up for those that neither have the time nor skills to set it up.

Excellent choice on a distro to review, Korora is to Fedora as Mint is to Ubuntu. I have run every flavour of Korora on my machine with no issues, smooth as can be :)

UrAvgLinuxUser

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Aug 5, 2014
Im glad you did not take offense, it was not my intention.. I just wanted others to be aware, that even though Korora is not a rolling release, it does infact have the latest kernel version and features, because Fedora is bleeding edge, and Korora is nothing more then Fedora polished, set up for those that neither have the time nor skills to set it up.

Excellent choice on a distro to review, Korora is to Fedora as Mint is to Ubuntu. I have run every flavour of Korora on my machine with no issues, smooth as can be :)

Thank You!:)
but when i checked the kernel version in korora in the video, the kernel was 3.12 rather then 3.15 like fedora or even 3.16.1 which is the newest stable kernel.

I

illumination

Thank You!:)
but when i checked the kernel version in korora in the video, the kernel was 3.12 rather then 3.15 like fedora or even 3.16.1 which is the newest stable kernel.
When you run the first set of updates either via Terminal or Yum Extender, it will update to the current release kernel.

I

illumination

I always run updates before I make a video because I got used to it from doing antivirus reviews!lol
I have done it at least ten times this week, and each time it has upgraded the Kernel.. Are you sure your on Korora ? lol

UrAvgLinuxUser

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Aug 5, 2014
hahah yea, but not right now because I deleted the VM. For the past few days I had the Vm and I have been updating each day.

I

illumination

hahah yea, but not right now because I deleted the VM. For the past few days I had the Vm and I have been updating each day.
Im finishing setting up my VM, and in next day or so will post a current screen shot of the first batch of updates with the kernel upgrade.

UrAvgLinuxUser

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Aug 5, 2014
Im finishing setting up my VM, and in next day or so will post a current screen shot of the first batch of updates with the kernel upgrade.

alright cool!:)
I am pretty sure you know, but type "uname -a" into the terminal to know current kernel:p

I

illumination

Had time, so installed it tonight..

When you install Korora, after installation click, menu, administration, yum extender, and check for updates. There will be quite a few, as Korora is Fedora polished...

qvzDuGZ.png

1NNRqu9.png

Now after running all these updates, you will need to close the yum extender and restart the system, because any update/upgrade that has to do with the kernel requires a restart to take effect. Upon boot you will be given the choice between booting the newer kernel version or the default, this is in case the newer Kernel "breaks" anything, you can always revert back to the more stable one.

PsBdfW7.png

UrAvgLinuxUser

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Aug 5, 2014
Had time, so installed it tonight..

When you install Korora, after installation click, menu, administration, yum extender, and check for updates. There will be quite a few, as Korora is Fedora polished...

qvzDuGZ.png

1NNRqu9.png

Now after running all these updates, you will need to close the yum extender and restart the system, because any update/upgrade that has to do with the kernel requires a restart to take effect. Upon boot you will be given the choice between booting the newer kernel version or the default, this is in case the newer Kernel "breaks" anything, you can always revert back to the more stable one.

PsBdfW7.png

hmm that's weird then, I had the same amount of updates when I updated through the terminal and I had to restart like you!

I

illumination

hmm that's weird then, I had the same amount of updates when I updated through the terminal and I had to restart like you!
I would say that is strange, because every time i have run a Korora or Fedora distro on my machine it has upgraded the kernel on the first batch of updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.