EAM or EIS is also a good choice

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Good config! Thanks for sharing it :)
Consider one or two more on demand scanners such as MBAM,Emsisoft Emergency Kit,ESET Online Scanner,etc.
EAM or EIS are good products and worth giving a try.

Reactions: JakeXPMan

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
So far so good, consider to use like Sandbox feature of Qihoo which should be effective on the part you want to test.

Consider some on demand scanners to be enforce on your USB as portable in case of any emergency.

Even though you have those external HDD for documents to be backup up, try to consider create a snapshot of the system in order to save your time for reformat.

Reactions: JM Safe

kowalski215

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Mar 16, 2015
Hi everybody. In the next months I'm gonna buy a new Microsoft Surface Pro (not sure about wich one - 3 discounted or the upcoming pro 4). I wanted to ask you which security software you do suggest me.
I'd like something light and quite powerful (not BitDefender e.g.).
Furthermore, is there a good anti-theft software? Does it worth to install/buy it?
Thanks in advance for your help.

(I'll avoid ESET if possible).

Reactions: Ink

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
For Anti-Theft, I recommend Prey | Track & find stolen Phones, Tablets and Laptops . It's open-source, free up to 2/3 devices and compatible with Windows, OS X, Android and iOS.

Windows 8.1 and 10 comes with Windows Defender, which provides basic Antivirus security, along with it's own Windows Firewall, UAC and Windows Smartscreen. (Windows Defender is not that resourceful heavy).

If you choose to stick with Windows Defender, you can add additional browser protection measures such as HitmanPro Alert, or background Anti-PUP software like Unchecky (prevents Adware/PUP).

Here's what you can run on the device specs: Microsoft Surface Tablets

For games or intensive productivity software, anything with an Intel Core i5 or higher is recommended.
upload_2015-9-11_12-33-20.png

(FYI: Microsoft Surface Pro 3 doesn't come with an Office 365 subscription).

Reactions: kowalski215

kowalski215

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Mar 16, 2015
I already have an Office 365 subscription. However, I'll buy an i5/i7 for sure. I was just wondering which version: the 3rd or the upcoming 4th (it will depend on prices).
However, thanks for the suggestion on the anti-theft.
I don't rely on windows defender pretty much.

UP: Tried prey.Seems good!

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I don't rely on windows defender pretty much.
Relying on any antivirus is a mistake. Securing your system and staying protected using your knowledge (mouse click and brains), outweighs the need for a heavy-featured security suite.

If your OS and network are secure, then you are already less vulnerable.

I forgot to mention earlier, you could use Sandboxie Free to isolate your browsing habits.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.