Laptop for university, programming and multimedia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Byte

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 13, 2014
Preferably under 1000$.I expect a laptop that's reliable (I want it to last for my entire studying period if possible) and produces a relatively low heat and noise. One of the critical features I like is a decent display (the bigger the screen the better) and the crispness of the screen colors and y'know for watching movies and such :)

I'll post the laptops I found in stores (laptops here might be outdated where you live but that's due to the availability in my city):
Dell Inspiron 15R 5537-0581
Acer Aspire V5-573G
Acer Aspire V5-571p
Lenovo S510P
Acer Aspire E1-572g
Asus K550ld
Asus X550l
Dell vostro 5470

Will be posting updates to the good laptops I found since I only payed 1 store a visit so far.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21043

I got a laptop for my birthday, it was £350. It has a dual core i3 1.8ghz processor, 6gb ddr3 RAM, 320gb hdd, Windows 8... (what have I missed?), Disc tray, 2 3.0 USB slots, HDMI/Ethernet/External monitor plugs. A nice screen... OH, and nVidia Geforce 710m graphics.

I saw a lot of good ones for about £700 which would surely last past your studying, and work for gaming (if you need).
I do programming, on my laptop all the time. I got my current laptop thinking about programming and gaming in mind. Both, work out well with it. It keeps nice and cool usually (normal use, unless of course im gaming).

I'll find you a decent laptop later or tomorrow if you haven't found one you liked yet. Do you like a certain colour scheme? e.g. white laptop, black laptop... LED lit keyboard? If so, what colour? Battery life max? etc.

Reactions: Byte

Byte

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 13, 2014
I got a laptop for my birthday, it was £350. It has a dual core i3 1.8ghz processor, 6gb ddr3 RAM, 320gb hdd, Windows 8... (what have I missed?), Disc tray, 2 3.0 USB slots, HDMI/Ethernet/External monitor plugs. A nice screen... OH, and nVidia Geforce 710m graphics.

I saw a lot of good ones for about £700 which would surely last past your studying, and work for gaming (if you need).
I do programming, on my laptop all the time. I got my current laptop thinking about programming and gaming in mind. Both, work out well with it. It keeps nice and cool usually (normal use, unless of course im gaming).

I'll find you a decent laptop later or tomorrow if you haven't found one you liked yet. Do you like a certain colour scheme? e.g. white laptop, black laptop... LED lit keyboard? If so, what colour? Battery life max? etc.

I don't care about aesthetics that much so any design should do good. When it comes to battery life I would prefer a good battery life since I usually go do office-related work outside (like 5 hours on media playback as well?), never owned a laptop so I'm not sure what the average battery life is. Thanks :)

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
I can recommend you to choose some with i5 CPU, especially with U suffix, so it's base frequency will be lower (and use less power) , but when you use some CPU-demanding app it will increase the frequency using Turbo Boost Technology. Also Intel's processors are stronger than AMD's and it will use less power whatever you calculate, and your battery will last longer.

This is a good laptop
71cLOCKJh6L._SL1500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron...&ie=UTF8&qid=1406067706&sr=1-9#productDetails

Of course it is an ultrabook and it has nVidia Graphic Card, but if you will using laptop for programming, multimedia and maybe some occasional gaming it is enough to get some i5 CPU (Haswell) with 4400 or 4600 Integrated Graphics, not to be ultrabook, to have departed numeric part on the keyboard, it will cost less and it will suit your needs.

Reactions: Byte and Koroke San

Arakasi

Level 4
Verified
Jul 12, 2014
Mine doesn't have nvidia, but it has 2.8GB of integrated intel video ram ahah
It even plays a few of my games.

Arakasi

Level 4
Verified
Jul 12, 2014
I think gaming should also be left at the desktop. I hate alienwares. I usually dont game on my laptop.
However it runs a few quite well, and since i have played a few MMO's in the past, i can get on and chat with my peeps.

Byte

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 13, 2014
I'm going to a few other stores in a while, which brands do you think I should look at?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Multimedia such as HD video playback and listening to music, or more than that?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Laptops with smaller screens generally have a higher price tag when looking for Full HD resolution, and may be an optional extra. Would you be looking to buy a laptop with a 17-inch screen size? The slim-factor may bump up the cost though.

Byte

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 13, 2014
Updated the laptops list (currently looking for reviews online). There are still a few more stores I haven't went to.

Byte

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 13, 2014
The acer aspire v5-573g seems pretty good (good battery life and performance), im not sure how reliable it is though(I know it's mostly luck of the draw)? any opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.