Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
PS4: new kits shipping now, AMD A10 used as base - Read more

Multiple sources have confirmed to VG247 today that a new version of the Orbis kit is now shipping to developers, and that it’s housed in a normal PC case.

Our source told us that Sony is only calling the machine Orbis, and is not using the words “PlayStation 4″ in these meetings at all.

Orbis, we were told today, is based on the AMD’s A10 APU series. An APU (Accelerated Processing Unit) is a combined CPU and GPU.

PS4′s APU was described today as a “derivative” of existing A10 hardware. The hardware is “based on A10 system and base platform”.

The “ultimate goal” for the hardware, we were told, is for it to be able to run 1080p60 games in 3D with “no problem,” to create a machine that’s powerful enough for “today and tomorrow’s market”.

The dev kits have “either 8Gb or 16Gb of RAM. Deduce from that what you will.”

The hardware is not being made in Japan, it was said.

No details have been given on the pad as yet. Confirmation is expected this month.

Orbis is expected to be announced at an event “just before E3″ next year.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
RE: PlayStation 4 'Orbis' News

PSM3 investigates: The 15 game-changing features of the PS4 (Source : Direct Link)

Mag uses penultimate issue to deliver 'the most accurate picture of PlayStation 4 anywhere in the world'

"They say this is the last console, and I am certainly a believer in that", says Nvidia's head of cloud gaming, Phil Eisler.

1. It's unlikely to be called PS4...
  2. How will games look?
  3. PS4 is unlikely to run in 4K 'Ultra-HD' resolution
  4. It'll lock out pre-owned and used games
  5. 4GB of RAM. Or more...
  6. Flash in the plan
  7. There's no going back
  8. You'll need to register games to your PSN account
  9. The rise and rise of PS+
  10. PS Move evolves - augmented interaction
  11. Cloud gaming... and a new way to play
  12. In-game ads and new ways to pay
  13. It'll use a Quad-Core AMD chip
  14. The games are well underway
  15. When will it come out, and how much will it cost?

(Source : Direct Link)

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012

I am sure both this and the xbox 720 will both be quite impressive.I wonder if the PS4 will make it harder to modify.I miss the good old days of running Modern Warfare 2 modded lobbies:p I guess times are a changing though and I cant wait to see what the games for this system will be like both in terms Graphics as well as performance.I am hoping for a modest price increase.Maybe by this time next year we will know.

V

Vextor

This seems quite interesting, but Orbis doesn't sound like a good name to use when distributing the console. Another thing is, with all these updated specifications, will it still be affordable to the average consumer?

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011

Exciting news even tho I'm a PC gamer. Can't wait to see what the next generation consoles bring, The popular game developers agree that they can only fit and do so much in their games because of the current console hardware restrictions being not powerful enough, They can do alot more with better power that's the exciting part to see what future games can be made.

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011

Vextor said:
This seems quite interesting, but Orbis doesn't sound like a good name to use when distributing the console. Another thing is, with all these updated specifications, will it still be affordable to the average consumer?

I'd imagine they'll need to keep the price as close to what the PS3 was at launch, so possible in or around the €600-700 mark.

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011

My thoughts:
1. It's unlikely to be called PS4 - Should be interesting but I think it will.
2. How will games look? - Amazing
3. PS4 is unlikely to run in 4K 'Ultra-HD' resolution - I would love to see this
4. It'll lock out pre-owned and used games - Not a lot of people will be happy, I'm one of them.
5. 4GB of RAM. Or more... - About time
6. Flash in the plan ?
7. There's no going back ???
8. You'll need to register games to your PSN account - No...Just No.
9. The rise and rise of PS+ - Interesting, Lets see how that works.
10. PS Move evolves - augmented interaction - Will it beat kinect 2.0?
11. Cloud gaming... and a new way to play - Sounds interesting.
12. in-game ads and new ways to pay - NO NO NO
13. It'll use a Quad-Core AMD chip - Not a fan of AMD but would like to see how it performs.
14. The games are well underway - Cool
15. When will it come out, and how much will it cost? - Holiday 2014 and $699.99 US Dollars.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011

MrXidus said:
Exciting news even tho I'm a PC gamer. Can't wait to see what the next generation consoles bring, The popular game developers agree that they can only fit and do so much in their games because of the current console hardware restrictions being not powerful enough, They can do alot more with better power that's the exciting part to see what future games can be made.

I don't know how good it is if the consoles get close and close to what PC are; it will be hard to convince the buyer to take the console instead of a PC. I won't pay for 600€/$ if it's not worth it and for 600 you can get pretty good hardware with intel cpu (i3 or i5) and a decent gpu.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Did you read the article, it has much more information. :)

#8 - Steam on PC already does this.

3link9 said:
My thoughts:

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

PC's are always years in advance, and remember consoles are not as expensive as they sound if they will last more than 5 years. Compare that to a (imo) crappy iPhone 5 that costs the same amount, but have no value the following year (including other smartphones).

If you're not set to spend $600 on a console, then don't buy one.

Valentin N said:
I don't know how good it is if the consoles get close and close to what PC are; it will be hard to convince the buyer to take the console instead of a PC. I won't pay for 600€/$ if it's not worth it and for 600 you can get pretty good hardware with intel cpu (i3 or i5) and a decent gpu.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
PS4 controller and dev unit leak in new image

Neowin.net said:
yzLeoZl.png

If you have been wondering what the PS4 developer kit looked like, wonder no more as an image of the device has finally hit the web.

As you can see in the image above, you can see what is supposedly the new PlayStation controller for the PS4 as well as what is being called an Orbis developers unit too.

Read more.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
RE: PlayStation 4 'Orbis' News + Updates

I'd like to share this, because I thought it was damn cool. :D Wonder if the next-gen Xbox will a similar feature, and how well it would work practically (as in theory in almost flawless). Enjoy!

With PS4, you can stream your gameplay so that your friends or the world can watch & comment.

...so now, everyone can watch you rage quit and throw your controller at the wall. Sweet huh?

Source (Login + Like required for viewing) - Facebook - PlayStation Access Page

WVaZOL0.jpg

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
RE: PlayStation 4 News + Updates

PlayStation 4 Is a Perfect Gaming PC, Says Epic’s Mark Rein

Mark Rein, a vice president of developer Epic Games and one of the veterans of the company, says that the upcoming PlayStation 4 home console from Sony is a perfect gaming PC that will give players and game creators more freedom.

The executive tells CVG during an interview that, “I think it’s a very smart move on Sony’s behalf to build this sort of enhanced PC architecture and then put so much in it. Let’s not forget it has 16 times the memory we had in PlayStation 3 – that’s not insignificant. Knowing that every machine has that, we can do crazy, ridiculous stuff with that.”

At the end of the article

Launch is expected before Christmas of this year, globally.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Sony PS4 UK price and release date revealed? - The Gadget Show

Get ready for next-gen, as it’s coming later this year: the Sony PlayStation 4 is set to drop in October and according to a new report, it looks like you can snap one up for £300. How’s that sound for a slice of gaming goodness?

The Sun reports Sony will be launching its brand new console in October, which matches up with what Sony said when the console was announced last month – that it would be released before the end of the year.

Not sure if October release is accurate. :s

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011

Sony has released a video showing snippets of the PS4 console, to be revealed possibly at E3.

I've done my own mockup of what I think it may look like.

[attachment=4572]

Attachments

• PS4-Mockup - Details.png
    PS4-Mockup - Details.png
    25.9 KB · Views: 547
Last edited by a moderator:

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Nice mock-up, I can see how your design fits in with the video.

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011

Thanks. I might do some more angles tomorrow if I get a chance.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

The Road to PS4 | Mark Cerny talks at Gamelab 2013

Duration: 47 minutes

Last edited by a moderator:

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Joystiq: PS4 reserves 3.5GB of RAM for the OS

Nearly half of the PlayStation 4's onboard RAM is reserved for the console's operating system, according to a report from the hardware sleuths at Digital Foundry. Sony documents supposedly reveal that 3.5 gigs of RAM are dedicated to functions of the PS4's streaming-friendly OS, leaving 4.5 gigs for video games to use exclusively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.