Advanced Security Lavasoft any good?

Does Lavasoft Ad-Aware Free provide adequate security protection?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nomad

Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2013
I would like to know everyone's opinions of Lavasoft Ad-Aware free and pro, and whether it is any good. I rather liked the interface last time I used it.

Is it a viable security solution? I'm going to try it out.

Vote on whether you think it is good, and say why.

D

Deleted member 178

ad-aware is not what it used to be, last time i tried it it was quite heavy, you have better for free like the Triple A (Avast, Avira, AVG)

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I have not used or tried it in a very long time.Correct me if I am wrong but I thought it was always more of a companion software than a standalone security solution.

Reactions: Nico@FMA

Nomad

Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2013
exterminator20 said:
I have not used or tried it in a very long time.Correct me if I am wrong but I thought it was always more of a companion software than a standalone security solution.

It is now a full on anti-virus solution (or so they claim). They've moved from being a companion anti-spyware software to full featured anti-virus with real time protection.

However, I was reading about the company, and it looks like their is a controversy about them being recently acquired by a private equity fund having ties to less than honest people:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lavasoft#Controversies

So it might not be good after all.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Nope, very bloated when I last tried it. Didn't do that well in the detection as well. Others could have a different opinion than me. ;)

softwareFREEk

Level 1
Verified
Dec 27, 2012
McLovin said:
Nope, very bloated when I last tried it. Didn't do that well in the detection as well. Others could have a different opinion than me. ;)

No!! I have quite the same opinion, I have not used in a looonnnnng time and when did it was only for such a short time as it had what I consider a poor detection rate during testing that one could not ignore.

doesn't get my vote

arsenaloyal

Level 3
Verified
Aug 6, 2012
The last version I tried was in 2007 or 2008, it was decent then but was leaning towards bloat.Then came Malwarebytes and after that there has been no looking back.

Dashke

Level 1
Feb 3, 2012
Lavasoft 10 is in fact a lot better then version 9. Detection is satisfying, not great. :/
Just try it and you will know is it good or not. :)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Agree with Dashke, Lavasoft V10 is a lot better than previous versions.

I've only ever used the Beta version of V10, but the latest release was V10.4 and was tested by AV-Test.org
http://www.av-test.org/no_cache/en/tests/test-reports/?tx_avtestreports_pi1%5Breport_no%5D=124585

PS: The AV-Test Certified was given to Lavasoft 10.3 / 10.4 Pro ($3/month).

tipo

Level 8
Well-known
Jul 26, 2012
it uses the vipre`s engine so the detection rates are ok and it`s not that heavy on the system.you can try it and let us know what is your opinion

NigelShaw

Sep 13, 2013
Nomad said:
exterminator20 said:

It is now a full on anti-virus solution (or so they claim). They've moved from being a companion anti-spyware software to full featured anti-virus with real time protection.

However, I was reading about the company, and it looks like their is a controversy about them being recently acquired by a private equity fund having ties to less than honest people:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lavasoft#Controversies

So it might not be good after all.

Hi guys,

I'm the VP Product Development for Lavasoft. I joined January of this year. Thanks for the honest feedback. It's true that the anti-spyware/antivirus industry in the past had a bit of an "rough and tumble" mentality. However when I joined the company I had a several days of discussion with Daniel Assouline and Michael Dadoun, the "less than honest people" that you referred to. It was clear to me in those discussions that the company has only one thing in mind for the future: to build the best possible products that deliver a great user experience. That was a critical factor for me in joining the company.

I'm very proud to announce that since joining I've spearheaded the development of AdBlocker (now in Alpha) a product that fully exemplifies this user-experience driven approach. AdBlocker is simple, elegant, and it does exactly what it's supposed to do, nothing less and nothing more.

I hope you love it!

Nigel

alakazam

Level 9
Verified
Mar 25, 2014
it uses the vipre`s engine so the detection rates are ok and it`s not that heavy on the system.you can try it and let us know what is your opinion

Wait, what? They don't have their own engine? :eek:

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013

Complementing its proprietary anti-spyware technology with one of the best antivirus engines available today (Bitdefender), Ad-Aware 11 features a packed, lean and powerful anti-malware solution, without the conflicts or slow-downs typically associated with running multiple security programs.

So they still have their anti-spyware engine, coupled with a Bitdefender engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.