Status
Not open for further replies.

Dima007

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 24, 2013
BEIJING-- Lenovo Group Ltd. said Friday it will offer customers six months of free antivirus software and cut down on preloaded software on future personal computers in response to criticism for preloading its consumer laptops with adware called Superfish, which made users more vulnerable to hacking.

“The events of last week reinforce the principle that customer experience, security and privacy must be our top priorities,” Lenovo said in a statement. “With this in mind, we will significantly reduce preloaded applications.”

Lenovo said it would offer affected users a six-month subscription to the antivirus software McAfee LiveSafe. It also pledged to post information on all software preloaded onto its computers.

“We are starting immediately, and by the time we launch our Windows 10 products, our standard image will only include the operating system and related software, software required to make hardware work well,” the company said.

BN-HA609_lenovo_P_20150219122657.jpg

Lenovo has come under fire after installing a visual search engine application called Superfish on their laptops over the holiday season that allegedly leaves user's previously encrypted browser data and passwords exposed to online attackers. Photo: Drew Evans/The Wall Street Journal
Lenovo came under criticism last week for preinstalling its consumer laptops with the ad-serving software Superfish that security researchers said made it easier for hackers to access encrypted Web data and even online passwords. The company said last Thursday it stopped shipping computers with the Superfish adware in January and said it wouldn’t preload the software on its products again.

H

hjlbx

McAfee LiveSafe...typical user doesn't know any better so they are apt to think "great, good deal..."

Unfortunately, despite Lenovo's screw-up, they will still come out ahead. Remember, it's all about "saving face."

How about OEM's shipping product with absolutely zero bloatware plus top-shelf AV options - Bit, KIS, Emsi, Eset - and they should do so without making the consumer pay a huge premium as Microsoft does with their "Signature" PCs.

Only then will OEMs ever hope to begin to earn my respect.

Phoooeeee....!

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Wow 6 whole months :rolleyes: and for McAfee LiveSafe no less.It comes preloaded with McAfee. How about Lenovo steps up to the plate and offer something worth while.I just purchased a Lenovo laptop in December and the first thing I got rid of was McAfee.Maybe they should follow in Sony's footsteps when the PSN was hacked.Sony offered all PSN members a 1 year subscription to AllClear ID which is still giving me monthly reports on my Identity status.
At least give a 1 year subscription :mad: I think Lenovo has some good products but unfortunately they will not get my business again.
@hjlbx hit the nail on the head in that the average user will think they are getting a great deal,in fact the average user probably doesn't even know anything about this or what it even is. Let alone how to get rid of it.

Lenovo said:
“We are starting immediately, and by the time we launch our Windows 10 products, our standard image will only include the operating system and related software, software required to make hardware work well,” the company said.
A little late. "Software required to make hardware work well" :rolleyes:

Piteko21

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2014
Mcafee liveS...:eek::eek::D but it's funny that... it also came on my pc but I removed immediately because the machine was slow to get enough:D
I also read there a few weeks that other companies have also spy software on their computers and that would be to investigate these situations

H

hjlbx

My Toshiba came pre-loaded with both Norton and McAfee. Norton was active while McAfee was idle.

Let's put the great Which-is-Best-AV debate aside for a moment.

The bloatware on that new system was simply stupendous...the Metro apps alone would gag any processor...something like 42 or 52 of them - can't remember.

It's all about "product placement" - get the software in front of enough people and at least some of them are just going to run with it and buy add-ons, upgrades, etc.

Total "de-crapification" time: about 2 hours.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
As usual, its always a marketing strategy since McAfee is a huge company (acquired by Intel) therefore it can maximize the capacity to enforce all laptops to be one of preloaded applications.

Actually there's nothing for McAfee but seems there are many alternatives like ESET which a great change to be include on newly laptops. ;)

Raul90

Level 14
Feb 5, 2012
McAfee..6 months..well if I'm gonna get myself a Lenovo I'll get use the BD promo's here rather than the Lenovo-McAfee! As exterminator20 mentioned "Step-up to the plate" (or get whacked by the bat :))

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.