Limewire malware question and inadvertently sharing files?

Blazer

Thread author
Apr 11, 2015
Is there malware or likely that can change your share folder p2p settings and upload personal computer files into the p2p share folder for the whole network to download

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well that's always as possible, P2P is totally a risk concept where those users uploads files without checking for authenticity and free from malicious content and may also exist like FrostWire and few of others.

I suggest to stay away and go for safer alternatives. Sometimes ranks and testimonies are very misleading that can trick you to download the file.

Blazer

Thread author
Apr 11, 2015
Yes I know malware is on p2p I don't use it anymore. I think most is just adware and other slow running viruses that make your computer slow. I just was surprised that tiversa is only one who claims this malware exists no one else or sites have reported this malware. You would think it be well broadcasted if it exist

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
As a malware researcher then likely yes because that's the part of analyzing any behavior of a program.

Of course the developers behind of software may deny the allegations unless admitted.

Blazer

Thread author
Apr 11, 2015
So it would share with the whole network instead of just the hacker searching your computer. It would be available to everyone

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Hacker --------> once compromise the victim then it can share throughout the web which vital information contains too.

Blazer

Thread author
Apr 11, 2015
how do most personal files become available on p2p network. Such as tax returns and ss numbers. By default p2p doesn't even share personal documents and the save folder is empty. Only sharing what you download.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Probable that they are a victim of a hack (ex: Sony Entertainment), ID Theft, stolen documents, forgery, phishing or social engineering scam etc.

It's less likely that you would upload the files yourself.

Last edited:

NekoJonez

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jun 3, 2015
Hrm, after some digging around the web... I saw some installers for LimeWire Plus 2.0
I think this might be fake adware or are they back. I seriously wish they aren't.

Blazer

Thread author
Apr 11, 2015
So a hack would put your files on the nertowke do you know what kind of hack it is like malware etc

NekoJonez

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jun 3, 2015
Alright. I found some weird limewires floating around. Time to do some research on this.

This looks extremely fishy to me.

In the past I used programs like that. Now-a-days, I mostly stream my music from online radio's. Free and such ^w^

Blazer

Thread author
Apr 11, 2015
I haven't used limewire since 08-10 but I downloaded from the acutely site back in the day. Idk Is it malware embedded in the program or is it just something embedded in a file you download

Blazer

Thread author
Apr 11, 2015
Yes I haven't used it in years. Just wondering if I was save when I did use it or if I may have got something that uploaded stuff to my share folder. I checked out a bunch of malware viruses that was used on limewire. Probably close to 60 of them on Microsoft malware encyclopedia. I only found one that used the share folder changes. And a malware tech said that it was never used it was just a concept virus that took way to much programming for what it was worth

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.