Mini Spy

Latest Threads

1. Warning Welcome to MalwareTips.com, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn about PC security and computers.
    As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but you can not create new threads or reply to an existing one unless you are a registered member. By joining our free community you will have access to post threads, start private conversations with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features.
    Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join us today!
  2. Emsisoft  Mobile Security GiveawayEXCLUSIVE MalwareTips.com: Emsisoft Mobile Security Giveaway

Get a free license key for Emsisoft Mobile Security to protect your Android smartphone. We are giving away Emsisoft Mobile Security license keys for our awesome members!

Get an Emsisoft Mobile Security license key!

3. Zemana AntiLogger Unlimited GiveawayEXCLUSIVE: Zemana AntiLogger Giveaway

Get a free license key for Zemana AntiLogger. We are giving away 300 Zemana AntiLogger license keys for our awesome members!

Get a Zemana AntiLogger license key!

4.  NoVirusThanks EXE GiveawayEXCLUSIVE MalwareTips.com : NoVirusThanks EXE Radar Pro Giveaway

Get a free license key for NoVirusThanks EXE Radar Pro. We are giving away NoVirusThanks EXE Radar Pro license keys for our awesome members!

Get a NoVirusThanks EXE Radar Pro license key!

5. ZoneAlarm 2015 Extreme Security GiveawayEXCLUSIVE MalwareTips.com:ZoneAlarm 2015 Extreme Security Giveaway

Get a free license key for ZoneAlarm 2015 Extreme Security. We are giving away ZoneAlarm 2015 Extreme Security license keys for our awesome members!

Get a ZoneAlarm 2015 Extreme Security license key!

6. Tip of the Day Many people think that 'formatting' a hard drive will wipe out all the data so it cannot be recovered
    Not so. To prevent the possibility of future recovery, use a third-party, low-level hard drive formatting tool, such as Killdisk (downloadable at no charge from www.killdisk.com) to overwrite data on the hard drive with a random sequence of 1's and 0's.

Limit Services and Start Up Items for Speed

Discussion in 'How-To Articles, Tips and Guides' started by Gnosis, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Gnosis

Gnosis Well-Known Member

BEFORE YOU ATTEMPT ANY OF THIS, MAKE SURE SYSTEM RESTORE IS TURNED ON AND CREATE A RESTORE POINT

I posted this over at the sister site. I thought you guys might like it.

Type "msconfig" in the open field after clicking START and RUN. Go to services. Then use this link to carefully read what Microsoft services that you might want to disable:
    http://www.blackviper.com/wiki/TCP/IP_NetBIOS_Helper (USE THE SEARCH ENGINE). The only two non-Microsoft services that I have running are Avast and Sandboxie. Other than that, I only have 23 services running. It has made my PC experience much more responsive and smooth.

NOTE: Do not mistakenly un-check REMOTE PROCEDURE CALL, as your PC may not boot after that. MSCONFIG should warn you if you do that though.

Then go to the Startup tab. All that needs to be checked in this field is NvCpl and any security programs that you want to load during start up (e.g., AV or Firewall). If you end up needing others like CTFMON.exe, go back and check it as to enable. No biggie.
    If items that you do not require, such as, CTFMON, keep getting rechecked after reboot, then download MSCONFIG Cleanup at the following link:
    http://download.cnet.com/MSConfig-Cleanup/3000-2094_4-10388647.html
    Be careful with this tool. Once you elect to "clean up", the item is gone for good. I have restored CTFMON before, so even if you delete it and want it back, you can get it back without much effort. CTFMON is the one that usually keeps getting rechecked (restarted) upon reboot. Most of us don't ever need it.

No registry cleaner can achieve what I was able to by simply manipulating Startup and Services.
    Windows XP Professional 2002 32 BIT Service Pack 3
    Pentium Dual Core E5200 2.5 Ghz@2G
    Avast, MBAM, HitMan

With Jupiter in Mind

"I'm a castaway stranded in a desolate land. I can see the footprints in the virtual sand" Neil Peart
  2. Umbra Polaris

Umbra Polaris Testing And Review Expert Staff Member

when i reformat, the first thing i do is disable useless services and start-up.
  3. JurgNet

JurgNet Regular Member

Same here ;)