Limit Services and Start Up Items for Speed

Discussion in 'How-To Articles, Tips and Guides' started by Gnosis, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Gnosis

Gnosis Well-Known Member

BEFORE YOU ATTEMPT ANY OF THIS, MAKE SURE SYSTEM RESTORE IS TURNED ON AND CREATE A RESTORE POINT

I posted this over at the sister site. I thought you guys might like it.

Type "msconfig" in the open field after clicking START and RUN. Go to services. Then use this link to carefully read what Microsoft services that you might want to disable:
    http://www.blackviper.com/wiki/TCP/IP_NetBIOS_Helper (USE THE SEARCH ENGINE). The only two non-Microsoft services that I have running are Avast and Sandboxie. Other than that, I only have 23 services running. It has made my PC experience much more responsive and smooth.

NOTE: Do not mistakenly un-check REMOTE PROCEDURE CALL, as your PC may not boot after that. MSCONFIG should warn you if you do that though.

Then go to the Startup tab. All that needs to be checked in this field is NvCpl and any security programs that you want to load during start up (e.g., AV or Firewall). If you end up needing others like CTFMON.exe, go back and check it as to enable. No biggie.
    If items that you do not require, such as, CTFMON, keep getting rechecked after reboot, then download MSCONFIG Cleanup at the following link:
    http://download.cnet.com/MSConfig-Cleanup/3000-2094_4-10388647.html
    Be careful with this tool. Once you elect to "clean up", the item is gone for good. I have restored CTFMON before, so even if you delete it and want it back, you can get it back without much effort. CTFMON is the one that usually keeps getting rechecked (restarted) upon reboot. Most of us don't ever need it.

No registry cleaner can achieve what I was able to by simply manipulating Startup and Services.
    Windows XP Professional 2002 32 BIT Service Pack 3
    Pentium Dual Core E5200 2.5 Ghz@2G
    Avast, MBAM, HitMan

With Jupiter in Mind

"I'm a castaway stranded in a desolate land. I can see the footprints in the virtual sand" Neil Peart
  2. Umbra Polaris

Umbra Polaris Testing And Review Expert MalwareTips Staff

when i reformat, the first thing i do is disable useless services and start-up.
  3. JurgNet

JurgNet Regular Member

Same here ;)