Status
Not open for further replies.

viktik

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
Linux Mint developers have decided to give a separate codename for their operating system based on Debian and it's going to be Betsy.

Regular Linux Mint releases, like Cinnamon, MATE, KDE, and Xfce, are based on Ubuntu, but the developers are also working on a couple of other Linux Mint distros based on Debian.

They haven't got it completely off the ground just yet, but they are working on it and they are hoping to prove a good alternative to the Ubuntu base.

"The upcoming release of LMDE will be version 2, codename 'betsy' and it will use a Debian 'jessie' package base. The team is currently adapting to the new LMDE, setting up its repositories and porting various packages onto it. The target for a stable release is estimated for this November, along with an official upgrade path from UP8 to Betsy," said the leader of the Linux Mint project, Clement Lefebvre.

Linux Mint Debian still has a long way to go until it reaches a stable status and until it is able to sit on the same level with the other distros in the series.

I

illumination

That is good to hear, as of the last time i checked, they had slowed development down on the Debian version, and focused mainly on the Ubuntu based.. Im still trying to wrap my head around the name of "Betsy" though, for some reason i picture and old milk cow with a bell around her neck. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.