loveboy_lion Config

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Calm down, lol.

Should have set-up a different user account with a Standard Account, with UAC enabled and Admin account password-protected.

Consider using Sandboxie, or other virtualisation software. You don't need tons of security if you're going to run on an Admin account, because as you've proven that's pointless.

Edit: D+ was turned off?

D

Deleted member 178

loveboy_lion said:
Bad News Guys even after all that Protection My wife was again able to screw up my laptop again it was a virus that some was not detected and destroyed all the exe files and even deleted most of the windows files and made the windows unbootable

I told you your setup will fail, you had 4 good engines but all of them can't protect you, why?

Because they can't work together as you thought, they opened holes instead of filling them.

"you can take any medecine at same time, but their combination may make you sick instead of healing you"

You felt secure but you were not, maybe if you followed my advice you will be still protected.

For your wife , you really have to consider a virtualization/rollback system like Sandboxie or Shadow Defender

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
umbrapolaris said:
loveboy_lion said:
Bad News Guys even after all that Protection My wife was again able to screw up my laptop again it was a virus that some was not detected and destroyed all the exe files and even deleted most of the windows files and made the windows unbootable

I told you your setup will fail, you had 4 good engines but all of them can't protect you, why?

Because they can't work together as you thought, they opened holes instead of filling them.

"you can take any medecine at same time, but their combination may make you sick instead of healing you"

You felt secure but you were not, maybe if you followed my advice you will be still protected.

For your wife , you really have to consider a virtualization/rollback system like Sandboxie or Shadow Defender

you my b right but i had tested them together before making them permanent with loads of malware even on access and manual scans and they stood strong against all of them nothing could pass but i guess only if i had the virus sample then could know what had gone exactly wrong

For example
1) All Antivirus detected the virus but was unable to quarantine
2) All Antivirus failed to detect the virus
3) Defence+ was enabled or disabled
4) If enabled was it bypassed
5) were all the protection disabled or stopped by her to get infected to piss me off and get a new laptop (I personally think This is the case)

But don't know for sure since i don't have the virus sample to replicate and she wont tell what exactly was she trying to do
I was never infected before for more than 2 years now but from past 1 month when my wife started using my laptop when she broke hers i was infected almost 8-10 times and like i said maybe sh wanted a new laptop
So i don't blame the protection except for her

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
Earth said:
Calm down, lol.

Should have set-up a different user account with a Standard Account, with UAC enabled and Admin account password-protected.

Consider using Sandboxie, or other virtualisation software. You don't need tons of security if you're going to run on an Admin account, because as you've proven that's pointless.

Edit: D+ was turned off?
My wife did not had the access to my admin account as it was password protected she used a standard account which she used to surf and watch movies, serials and get me infected

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Your 1st config post doesn't reflect that. Thanks. :D

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What about a free antivirus, with paid sandboxing/virtualisation software? So all browsing can be forced to be sandboxed, better than relying on an Antivirus for prevention. :D

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
what do u think about returnil system safe
http://www.returnilvirtualsystem.com/returnil-system-safe

D

Deleted member 178

Found it heavier than Shadow Defender, so i don't really used it.

P

Plexx

My secondary laptop was previously running Avast, non admin account etc and never had an infection. I Still think that the initial config was just overkill and was flawed.

You can try a rollback software such as Toolwiz Timefreeze.

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011
AV won't always protect you from non-updated systems including common attack vectors like adobe, java, and internet browsers. You should install time freeze so you can undo all the harm that she does.

D

Deleted member 178

One issue with Toolwiz Timefreeze is it's vulnerable to rootkits.

P

Plexx

One easier solution is having a dual boot:
Linux in one hand, Windows on another.

All problems solved. Browsing via Linux or even a boot cd from windows if need be, and use windows for programs etc.

I know a friend that his wife uses a linux boot cd for her browsing etc. Has been infection free for some years now, and his windows is running McAfee.

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
umbrapolaris said:
One issue with Toolwiz Timefreeze is it's vulnerable to rootkits.

Really? may I ask where you learned about this?

D

Deleted member 178

on Wilders, there is a thread that follows the development of TTF. TTF is more is more focusing to be a testing software environment than a security apps like Shadow Defender. One member did a malware test and it fails against some rootkits.

source: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=313299

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011
as long as you rollback each night you should be fine. The only thing I saw that would circumvent it is a virus that attacks the mbr. Everything is vulnerable to some form of attack.

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
umbrapolaris said:
on Wilders, there is a thread that follows the development of TTF. TTF is more is more focusing to be a testing software environment than a security apps like Shadow Defender. One member did a malware test and it fails against some rootkits.

source: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=313299

Thanks man, I still like it I mean what are the chances of something extremely bad infecting someone's pc that are extremely careful where they go and what they click, in most cases it should do fine I think.

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
umbrapolaris said:
Found it heavier than Shadow Defender, so i don't really used it.

Replaced returnil with shadow defender Since i found my licence key in my email which i had almost forgotten about
Yes Returnil is a bit heavier than shadow defender
Thanks umbrapolaris

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.