loveboy_lion Config

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Still overkill, come back again when either laptops get infected.

Maybe get some web filtering via DNS, through the Internet Options.

D

Deleted member 178

MRF71 said:
Do you have SD password protected?
Hey Umbra can you send me the version your using?

No psw protected.
i'm using v.326 found by a link given in Wilders when they worried about the v.331
There is no more official SD website. Even the moderator of the forum quit his position.

Anyone interested by SD should read the thread on Wilders (the unofficial Shadow defender support thread undrr Virtualization & sandboxing) from the beginning.

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
Earth said:
Still overkill, come back again when either laptops get infected.

Now Why do you think its overkill Please Explain?

Earth said:
Maybe get some web filtering via DNS, through the Internet Options.
I have Have Norton DNS for web filtering and also thinking of adding bitdefender traffic light but don't know if it will conflict with ESET web filter or not So for now held back on that

Thanks

D

Deleted member 178

loveboy_lion said:
Now Why do you think its overkill Please Explain?

Kingsoft is not really needed, its protection is not strong enough to worth the shot.

If you really really need a companion AV, better use Emsisoft AM like i do (it includes Mamutu, Hosts protection, and very efficient AV) , you will lighten your system a bit.

You can download and try it from my personal Emsisoft link :
http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/antimalware/?id=5905123
it is a referral program :D

I have Have Norton DNS for web filtering and also thinking of adding bitdefender traffic light but don't know if it will conflict with ESET web filter or not So for now held back on that

BDTL really not needed since you have ESET web filter

P

Plexx

ESET Web filter is fine as it is, no need to further enhance it.

What Earth means by overkill I would assume is this:
Real-time protection: ESET Smart Security , Kingsoft Antivirus , Emsisoft Mamutu

There is no reason to be running the 3 apps combo above. My tests clearly showed how is ESS performing and cleaning. That plus MBAM and EEK as an on-demand scan is more than enough.

Now adding Kingsoft and Emsisoft Mamutu, you will only be increasing:
A) RAM usage, since ESS by default uses between 70 to 80 MB RAM.
B) Conflict between AV engines.

I have set a full system scan with ESET NOD32 after nearly a week without Real time protection so I shall check the results but I can guarantee no infection.

Now unless you travel through Warez/Cracks/Serials/Patches sites, the risk of infection is low, plus on your config you have set the risk of infection as low anyway, so running the above combo is overkill and pointless. ESET Engine or even AVAST Engine is good enough.

Not even the paranoid mode umbra overloads his system like that :p

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
Removed Kingsoft Since it was only for testing purpose
Don't You think EAM Will conflict with ESET ?

D

Deleted member 178

Not AFAIK because EAM is still a Companion AV even if its actual performance make him a very strong full-fledge AV.

the best way to know is by trying it ( download it, install it in trial version.)

then set it up as my guide does : http://malwaretips.com/Thread-How-to-set-CIS-EAM-for-max-compatibility-security
just replace CIS by ESET, EAM setting will be same.

P

Plexx

I am not sure if you will need to tweak some settings for ESET if you want to use along EAM but I dont really recall seeing On Access settings for ESET. Maybe there is and I just cant remember despite just tested yesterday and installed again today.

I personally disabled HIPS for starters but thats because I know what I am doing.

Suggestion is run it on VMware and play around with it.

I would assume you will also drop Mamutu if you go EAM route?

or are you going to be looking at other combos that might once again be overkill?

D

Deleted member 178

EAM must be set on "executed" (best choice for compatibility & performance) or "modified" since surely ESET will detect on access.

P

Plexx

I will have to have a look when I get home about ESET on access. honestly cant remember and I didnt take the screenshots of the scan settings etc :(

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
These are the default settings for realtime protection for ESET and it is set to scan on execution so any work around ?

P

Plexx

Check under ThreatSense Engine Parameter.

Also check Advanced Setup and Computer scan.

I will need to play around with it to give you an answer so it will take a few hours. This is because I dont use EAM. Unless another ESET user who also uses EAM in real time can advise.

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
Biozfear said:
Check under ThreatSense Engine Parameter.

Also check Advanced Setup and Computer scan.

I will need to play around with it to give you an answer so it will take a few hours. This is because I dont use EAM. Unless another ESET user who also uses EAM in real time can advise.

There Is Nothing Inside Threatsence Parameter only settings for what to be detected and What should be done on detection
I guess i will Try To Keep ESET As it is and play with some of the settings of EAM if it doesn't work will try the opposite

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
BAD NEWS GUYS I installed EAM with ESET installed everything went fine but the file guard of EAM wont Enable and cannot be enabled Maybe it recognises ESET and automatically turns of scan guard every thing else is enabled and working any ideas or suggestion to fix or another antivirus i should use along with ESET

P

Plexx

I have removed ESET already and completely forgot to check the compatibility. I can still check on VM but again will take a awhile. I am sure you can just have ESET for now for a few days max.

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
Biozfear said:
I have removed ESET already and completely forgot to check the compatibility. I can still check on VM but again will take a awhile. I am sure you can just have ESET for now for a few days max.
I too am thinking the same but just now did a test with these samples in the link and the results were Too good to be true

http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Malware-Pack-42-malware-samples

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011
I have CIS + EAM on a laptop and they seem to run great together. The only negative is that they do hog a lot of system resources, especially if they update at the same time.

loveboy_lion said:
Biozfear said:
I too am thinking the same but just now did a test with these samples in the link and the results were Too good to be true

http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Malware-Pack-42-malware-samples

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
pcjunklist said:
The only negative is that they do hog a lot of system resources, especially if they update at the same time.

Does that happen often, or random times?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.