Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
May 26, 2014
I evaluated these antivirus for mac:

• Kaspersky Internet Security For Mac (2015)
  • 360 Internet Security For Mac (2015)
  • ESET Cyber Security (6)
  • Intego Internet Security (8)
  • Avast Mac Security (2015)
  • Webroot SecureAnywhere For Mac
  • ClamXav (2)
  • ClamXav Mac App Store
Grading Scale For Mac Real-Time AV:

0-5 Dismal
6-11 Poor
12-15 Fair
16-20 Good
21-23 Very Good
24-25 Chromatinfish's Choice

Procedure:

Each Product (Trial Version) was downloaded from the official website and put on a Macbook Pro (mid-2014, 13.3", 128 GB Flash Drive, 8 GB 1600MHZ RAM, With Flash, Adobe Reader, iWork, iLife, Memory Clean, CPULed, Google Chrome, and Opera (simulating a regular workstation environment) for 30-120 minutes- enough to run a full scan, explore all the settings, and to sit in the task bar while we edit videos and surf MT.

sGclLwV.png

Kaspersky Internet Security For Mac (2015)

sWywQZZ.jpg

Interface (Out of 5 pts):

Kaspersky IS for Mac boasts a lovely mac-style interface. Much of the small (the smallest) window is occupied with a giant circle with a big check (if you turned on everything- that is) that turns red or yellow when something happens. On the left side, there are 3 tabs, one for scan, one for update, and one for license details. KIS for mac’s interface is well-designed, so i give it 5 out of 5 points.

Performance (Out of 8 pts):

KIS for Mac Probably did the worst out of the antiviruses. The fan kicked on when I did a full scan, I thought it would stop after a while, but, boy, was I wrong! The keyboard heated so high that it was painful to touch and the system probably could have overheated if I didn’t cancel the scan! The kav takes 227 MB of RAM- not too shabby, but it was not responding 80% of the time. This is a non-keeper: 1 out of 8 points

Installation/Uninstallation (Out of 2 pts):

KIS for Mac was easy to install- the file, however, took a whopping 200 MB of downloading and installed 267 MB of “crap.” Uninstallation took approx. 2 minutes- Kaspersky includes their own Uninstallation tool. 1.5 out of 2 points

Protection (Out of 10 pts):

KIS for Mac Uses Kaspersky's "Award-Winning" Engine for detection. According To AV-Comparatives, KIS for Mac successfully blocked 97 % of known mac malware (with obsolete databases) and blocked 100 % of windows malware (so you don't send an email to your Windows-using friends containing vulnerable malware. According to AV-Test, KIS for mac blocked 93.2% of their malware. It's surprising how much the percentage differs! There isn't a lot of PUPs for mac, thus I didn't test that. 7 out of 10 pts
Overall: 14.5/25 points- Fair

ESET Cybersecurity For Mac (6)

ECS-01-Home-650.jpg

Interface (out of 5 points)

ESET's Windows interface is known to be clean and unconfusing for the average user, and complicated and tweakful for the geek user. Cyber Security for Mac follows this trend with a NOD32-like interface with advanced security options. Everything is neat and clean, unlike some other applications. 5 out of 5 points.

Performance (out of 8 points)

ESET Cyber Security didn't bother my clunky fan even once during its test period! I could edit videos with iMovie without much difference and websites loaded snappily in Safari and Chrome. ESET has a reputation of being light on Windows- This Cybersecurity is like NOD32 for Mac- Lean, Mean, Grime-Fighting Machine!
8 out of 8 points.

Installation and Uninstallation (out of 2 points)

ESET Cyber Security was easy to install, and the file was the 2nd smallest .dmg drive for an antivirus- 58.6 MB (The smallest was Webroot SecureAnywhere with 5.7 MB). However, the uninstallation process was quite hard as there wasn't a clear way to close ESET entirely- I had to go to activity monitor and manually clear the task. 1.5 out of 2 points.

Protection (out of 10 points)

ESET Cyber Security, according to AV-Comparatives, scored a perfect 100% in both Mac and Windows detection tests. This marks one of the three perfect-scorers. ESET, however, didn't fare as well in AV-Test- 99.1%, although it is still very high as only 4 products scored higher. 9.5 out of 10 points.
Overall: 24/25 points- Chromatinfish's Choice

Intego Internet Security X8

Interface (out of 5 points)

Intego spent a lot of time trying to perfect their interface! The result- A simple screen showing a laptop or tablet- depending on the device you selected showing a bar and a last scan screen. When you press that big scan button, the bar starts going up and down. You can also schedule scans. In the Quarantine folder, you can restore, clean, or delete the files VirusBarrier detected. The firewall interface shows a large graphic screen with arrows going up and down to simulate data packets traveling:

netbarrier-firewall.jpg

However, the exceptions is quite confusing for the average user. Unlike others, like ESET CyberSecurity Pro, "NetBarrier"(The Firewall) requires a selection of ports and TCMP. It's easier to just set up an exception in Applications- where you can monitor which programs are connecting to the internet:

netbarrier2-630x552.jpg

Interface: 5 out of 5 points

Performance (out of 8 points)

The fan sometimes kicked on when I was editing video, but never did when I surfed some websites. When a scan wasn't running, Intego did not make the fan run at all. 7 out of 8 points

Installation and Uninstallation (out of 2 points)

Intego's Achilles' Heel was the installation process. During Installation, it installed VirusBarrier (Antivirus) and NetBarrier (Firewall) separately. Good thing we used Internet Security and not Premium Bundle, which installs 5 programs separately! It also required a restart- the only program that did. 0 out of 2 points

Protection (out of 10 points)

According to AV-Comparatives, Intego scored a 100% in Mac, but only 49% in Windows detection. This might be a problem if you have buddies that use Windows software- you might email them some nasties. In AV-Test, Intego scored a 98.3% in Mac malware. 8 out of 10 points

Overall: 20/25 points- Good

More Updates As Soon As Possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 21043

Let me know how ESET did, I want to know if they managed to maintain the almost-perfect reputation and success they received on Windows products on Apple devices. ;)

Reactions: Chromatinfish 123

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
May 26, 2014
Let me know how ESET did, I want to know if they managed to maintain the almost-perfect reputation and success they received on Windows products on Apple devices. ;)
I'm having a hard time trying to find mac samples to test- so I'm going to have to use "independent" testing labs- you shouldn't always trust them entirely, but they have something...

Just to add, I have a little fanboyism on ESET- I might exaggerate a little :p:D

D

Deleted member 21043

I'm having a hard time trying to find mac samples to test- so I'm going to have to use "independent" testing labs- you shouldn't always trust them entirely, but they have something...

Just to add, I have a little fanboyism on ESET- I might exaggerate a little :p:D
Aha, yeah. I heard getting infected on Mac was hard... But I hated hearing people say it was "Impossible" because it is! :D

The last line in your reply... Who doesn't? :D :p

Reactions: Chromatinfish 123

Bill7

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Mar 8, 2014
I don t own a MAC but probably Avast or 360 Internet Security will work fine

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.