Mallorie's Security Configuration

I

illumination

Some advice. Enable UAC, it is a big part of your systems security. Back up and Recovery, play's another important role, should something happen to your system, and or hardware failure, you will be covered having these. If your set on using MSE you should have a on-demand scanner such as Malwarebytes free as a second opinion.

I

illumination

Im actually looking to get rid of MSE. What is the best Anti-Malware program you know of?
If you get rid of MSE you will be looking for a anti-virus program to replace it.
Malwarebytes on demand i suggested is a Anti Malware program.

As far as replacing your Anti-Virus, it depends on you. Do you want free protection, or can not afford a product, or can you afford something to replace it with. It also depends on system resources, your uses, and knowledge as to what we could advise you to use.

Reactions: tonibalas
I

illumination

If it is an Av, not full suite you would want, Eset NOD32 Anti-Virus would be a safe bet of pleasing your lightness needs as well as decent protection. I would also as suggested install Malwarebytes free with it as a second opinion.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Are you upgraded to SP1?
Avast is a good free AV with Windows Firewall.There are many good paid AV's & Suites(AV & Firewall)
I would suggest some type of backup solution
CCleaner or Privazer if not already installed
On demand scanner(s) Malwarebytes Antimalware,Hitman Pro,Emsisoft emergency Kit
Chrome extensions: ABD + or uBlock,HTTPS Everywhere

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I can afford something to replace it, so long as its light on CPU and has good protection.

If you have budget issue, stick to the free version like Avast and Avira they are already been proved by other members to be light on CPU and protection capabilities.

Or reliable paid AV like Emsisoft Anti-Malware which provides great protection, also if wanted suites then go for Norton Internet Security or mentioned already by others ESET Smart Security.

Reactions: Kent

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
I recommend Kaspersky Internet Security 2015, it has an array of protection modules and offers protection not seen in any other security suite. The price is reasonable £29.99-£39.99 I've used it for 3yrs and never been infected.

Tony :)

mercurial

Level 6
Oct 3, 2012
@Mallorie Hey! If you want a free alternative, i would personally go with Avast! (just don't install their browser add-on) paired with Windows Firewall and you are good to go.

If you want paid and light antivirus solution, you can go with ESET Antivirus or Emsisoft Anti Malware as @exterminator20 @illumination @jamescv7 @Kent suggested you can try a trial version of both see what suits your system better. If you have a good CPU and a good amount of RAM you can use Kaspersky Antivirus(@Tony Cole suggested the KIS suite which is quite good but it's a bit on the heavy side).

You can pair one of the above with either Malwarebytes or Hitman Pro, accompany that with a backup solution like Acronis True Image or you can just make a system backup to an external hard drive through Windows "Backup and Restore" .

For miscellaneous tune up utilities, what the guys have posted above is spot on.

P.S. You can also try Webroot, it's know for it's lightness though it works differently as compared to traditional AV so it might not be down your alley. Give it a shot though if you want to try something different.

Cheers

Reactions: tonibalas and Kent

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.