Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0 isn't that great according to softpedia ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

koushik

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2013
According to latest review by Softpedia , the "Most Popular Malware Removal Tool" in the market isn't as good as it claims to be ...

http://www.softpedia.com/reviews/windows/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware-Premium-Review-435452.shtml

According to them ,

Capture1.jpg

sp_editor_fair.gif

Now quite frankly I've never used Malwarebytes regularly as I've Kaspersky Internet Security 2014 installed in my system ... I always install the free version of Malwarebytes from time to time to see if there is any infection in my system and then completely uninstall it when the scanning is complete... Also recent tests with the malware smaples posted in malwaretips.com shows that Malwarebytes is lagging behind other security products in detection rate ( http://malwaretips.com/forums/virus-exchange.104/ ) ... So what's your view on this topic ?? Is Malwarebytes still as good as it used to be ??? or soon we're gonna find a better alternative .. :)

MalwareDetective

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 16, 2013
Now quite frankly I've never used Malwarebytes regularly as I've Kaspersky Internet Security 2014 installed in my system ... I always install the free version of Malwarebytes from time to time to see if there is any infection in my system and then completely uninstall it when the scanning is complete... Also recent tests with the malware smaples posted in malwaretips.com shows that Malwarebytes is lagging behind other security products in detection rate ( http://malwaretips.com/forums/virus-exchange.104/ ) ... So what's your view on this topic ?? Is Malwarebytes still as good as it used to be ??? or soon we're gonna find a better alternative .. :)
That's normal for anti-malware product. They are not claim to be an AV solution . They still have amazing detection of files that many other AV don't have. The PUP detection is great (As well as the Malicious Website protection) too and in my opinion Malwarebytes is still the best. I stick with MBAM all the way.

koushik

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2013
@Mateotis but if you follow the virus exchange section of malwaretips.com regularly , you'll see that other security products (like kompass , titanium) have better detection rates than MBAM :) still ty for your opinion :) .. I dont use MBAM that much .. so don't have much of an idea regarding MBAM :D

koushik

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2013
That's normal for anti-malware product. They are not claim to be an AV solution . They still have amazing detection of files that many other AV don't have. The PUP detection is great (As well as the Malicious Website protection) too and in my opinion Malwarebytes is still the best. I stick with MBAM all the way.

well , Softpedia is claiming , "The Malicious Website Protection module tested weak in our evaluation, allowing access to many known faulty sites and blocking just a handful of them. The real-time guard was completely unresponsive to our virus samples." :p still I ain't using MBAM .. so don't know the truth behind the statement :D

zeusc4

Level 4
Verified
Feb 2, 2013
The program is misleading when it comes to deleting identified malware. Although it says it has successfully removed the items, a simple inspection will reveal that the files are in fact still there. After sufficient and unknown time has passed, you will be surprised by a popup window that requires a system reboot to finalize file removal.

Agreed

Malware1

Level 76
Sep 28, 2011
@Mateotis but if you follow the virus exchange section of malwaretips.com regularly , you'll see that other security products (like kompass , titanium) have better detection rates than MBAM :) still ty for your opinion :) .. I dont use MBAM that much .. so don't have much of an idea regarding MBAM :D

avkom adds all samples to Kompas

I upload all samples to VirusTotal so Tiranium adds them automatically. The same situation is with Baidu, they copy the detection from Kaspersky, ESET or Microsoft and they call this junk "antivirus", they're just relying on others' detections

"The real-time guard was completely unresponsive to our virus samples." - that's great as MBAM isn't an antivirus. They don't add viruses to their database (if they dont come from live url), so that's normal that nothing was detected.

Edit: look at the screenshot, they used virussign samples:

Malwarebytes%20Anti-Malware%20Premium%20detected%20threats.png

Virussign samples are very old, usually one year old or more, MBAM targets samples not older than 3 months. I doubt that they even ran the remaining files. MBAM isn't an historical anti-malware program.

Last edited:

MalwareDetective

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 16, 2013

I upload all samples to VirusTotal so Tiranium adds them automatically
the same situation is with Baidu, they copy the detection from Kaspersky, ESET or Microsoft and they call this junk "antivirus", they're just relying on others' detections

"The real-time guard was completely unresponsive to our virus samples." - that's great as MBAM isn't an antivirus. They don't add viruses to their database (if they dont come from live url), so that's normal that nothing was detected.

Edit: look at the screenshot, they used virussign samples

Virussign samples are very old, usually one year old or more, MBAM targets samples not older than 3 months. I doubt that they even ran the remaining files. MBAM isn't an historical anti-malware program.

I fully agree with said above. I don't trust third party tests - Many of third party testers don't provide readers and companys full information about the testing type and environment. When it comes to home computers security - MBAM is the best!

Last edited by a moderator:

Dubseven

Level 14
Verified
Aug 12, 2013
I upload all samples to VirusTotal so Tiranium adds them automatically. The same situation is with Baidu, they copy the detection from Kaspersky, ESET or Microsoft and they call this junk "antivirus", they're just relying on others' detections

Every anti-virus are inter-connected. Virustotal, VirScan, BitDefender, Panda..., all of them send all samples they find to all anti-virus companys.
And for Baidu, this "junk", pay others company to include them to them engines.

;)

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Nope, if u watched Kompass getting high detection rate then someone send Kompass SUD before others post their results about kompass , that's how it's get high numbers in test. I also get surprised by its detection rate & after some day when i tested it again then it's got poor results coz no one SUD it plus it's gives me BSOD many times when it's unable to remove malware. It's failed in my own o-day malware test plus sometimes it's get a single update after more then 24 hours. Don't believe wut u always see :D

Last edited:

koushik

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2013

Edit: look at the screenshot, they used virussign samples:

well .. didn't know about that :D thx :)

koushik

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2013
Nope, if u watched Kompass getting high detection rate then someone send Kompass SUD before others post their results about kompass , that's how it's get high numbers in test. I also get surprised by its detection rate & after some day when i tested it again then it's got poor results coz no one SUD it plus it's gives me BSOD many times when it's unable to remove malware. It's failed in my own o-day malware test plus sometimes it's get a single update after more then 24 hours. Don't believe wut u always see :D

haha :D now I understand :p

Reactions: Koroke San

Lailson

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 3, 2014
This comment will appear very Fanboy lol ..
I do not give much heed to these analyzes, give importance to my own experience with the software. MalwareBytes is a great Anti-Malware, one of the best I've seen, already changed enough of Av, but never MBA.Já use a long time, never had any problems with it, a great compalheiro for my Av, love their detection raises the Pups and adware programs add that many, and even malware that interresante think well, and superior to many Av Virus Enchange in there.
And it took many malware that my Eset not caught outside your filter Web is very useful for me ..
I agree with the remarks of Malware1 too ..

Last edited:

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
According to latest review by Softpedia , the "Most Popular Malware Removal Tool" in the market isn't as good as it claims to be ...

http://www.softpedia.com/reviews/windows/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware-Premium-Review-435452.shtml

According to them ,

Capture1.jpg

sp_editor_fair.gif

What softpedia is saying is correct.
There are stability issues. But it will be fixed in future releases.
The realtime protection will not detect a malware if you browse that file in explorer. You need to do manual scan on a file to detect its malware or not.
There may be other bugs. But that will be fixed in future release.

Example : Current version of malwarebytes is unable to scan files in a folder with name containing "#" in it.

Dubseven

Level 14
Verified
Aug 12, 2013
we are checking reports
with high detection ratio

A file with high detection ratio, is probably a malware :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.