Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0 isn't that great according to softpedia ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dubseven

Level 14
Verified
Aug 12, 2013
We didn't have many false positives, we have received just 4 in 1 month of FPs :)
When you see a file detected by Avira, emsisoft, kaspersky, avast, avg, panda, ikarus, bitdefender, it's seems like anything is going wrong with that file no? :)

We are following the VT results too close, to avoid false positives with this "probablity" like you said ;)

juhful

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
According to latest review by Softpedia , the "Most Popular Malware Removal Tool" in the market isn't as good as it claims to be ...

http://www.softpedia.com/reviews/windows/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware-Premium-Review-435452.shtml

According to them ,

Capture1.jpg

sp_editor_fair.gif

Now quite frankly I've never used Malwarebytes regularly as I've Kaspersky Internet Security 2014 installed in my system ... I always install the free version of Malwarebytes from time to time to see if there is any infection in my system and then completely uninstall it when the scanning is complete... Also recent tests with the malware smaples posted in malwaretips.com shows that Malwarebytes is lagging behind other security products in detection rate ( http://malwaretips.com/forums/virus-exchange.104/ ) ... So what's your view on this topic ?? Is Malwarebytes still as good as it used to be ??? or soon we're gonna find a better alternative .. :)
As far as detection rate in malwarepacks it is consistently in the top 3 with Eset and Emsisoft, and I have been running this since the first beta and have not experienced anything that Softpedia mentioned. I guess every user has a different experience.

Better detection rate than Kaspersky, just sayin ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Lailson

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Malwarebytes is not put in the correct category where it belongs.
Malwarebytes is a malware removal tool, it is not an antivirus.

If MBAM is tested as an antivirus, you it will receive poor results.
If MBAM is tested as a malware removal tool then it is going to receive top honors.
Since it can remove many infections not detected by others.

So basically I agree with Softpedia and many other users on various forums also say that the Premium features are not what they are advertised to be, there are performance issues and bugs on the latest version.

MBAM is an excellent malware removal tool that is why it is so popular.

Enjoy!! :D

woomera

Level 7
Verified
Jan 15, 2012
their review is Honest and True!

i have reported the cleaning issue to MBAM forum about 2 month ago but i didnt get any response from them:
https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=142992&view=findpost&p=797238&hl=+woomera

and as for website protection its always been weak, nothing new.
but none of these still makes me doubt about the important role it plays in my computers security, it just means that i personally have experience these issues and are acknowledging them.

Reactions: koushik

koushik

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2013
As far as detection rate in malwarepacks it is consistently in the top 3 with Eset and Emsisoft, and I have been running this since the first beta and have not experienced anything that Softpedia mentioned. I guess every user has a different experience.

Better detection rate than Kaspersky, just sayin ;)

really ?? you haven't experienced anything that Softpedia mentioned ?? So in your system , MBAM automatically detects Malware samples even without manually scanning (user initiated) them ?? Does the malicious website blocker tool works perfect in your system ?? I know malwarebytes is the best malware removal tool in the market right now due to its best detection rate and probably it'll continue to dominate for next few years ... but don't say that Softpedia is publishing false reviews -_-

well .. Malwarebytes can only excel in detecting malware samples .. like Malware1 and Umbra Polaris said , you should use malwarebytes only as a companion AV .. using it as main security suite for system is pointless and isn't even recommended by devs ... So I don't think that your comparison between Kaspersky and MBAM matters at all ...

MidniteRider

Level 1
Verified
Sep 15, 2013
I used MBAM Pro as my main AV some months ago and it had pretty good detection. Dunno if it got worse over time.

juhful

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
really ?? you haven't experienced anything that Softpedia mentioned ?? So in your system , MBAM automatically detects Malware samples even without manually scanning (user initiated) them ?? Does the malicious website blocker tool works perfect in your system ?? I know malwarebytes is the best malware removal tool in the market right now due to its best detection rate and probably it'll continue to dominate for next few years ... but don't say that Softpedia is publishing false reviews -_-
I haven't noticed any bugs, other have reported some, and web filtering if it isn't detecting well isn't a bug and you're the one who brought up Kaspersky and you don't even use malwarebytes, you said it had poor detection and it has great protection, I know it's a companion software but still has better detection when running scans then most AV's

well .. Malwarebytes can only excel in detecting malware samples .. like Malware1 and Umbra Polaris said , you should use malwarebytes only as a companion AV .. using it as main security suite for system is pointless and isn't even recommended by devs ... So I don't think that your comparison between Kaspersky and MBAM matters at all ...
Yes better at detection in malwarepacks, yes that's what I said, never said Mbam was better at real time but thats really not what it's about, the developer tells you to run with your AV not stand alone, so to me it is the best at what it does, detect and remove, and why people post reviews of software they never even tried and say well I use such and such then it sounds like you are the one doing the comparing.

Software reviews from download sites are usually BS, thats why Bitdefender is #1 in the world lol

koushik

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2013
Software reviews from download sites are usually BS, thats why Bitdefender is #1 in the world lol
Bitdefender is No. 1 because of its detection rate and protection components lol :D I dont use Bitdefender because of its high system footprint and high resource usage .. otherwise it is the best :) Kaspersky and / or Norton don't even come close to Bitdefender when threat detection comes into play ...

Yes better at detection in malwarepacks, yes that's what I said, never said Mbam was better at real time but thats really not what it's about, the developer tells you to run with your AV not stand alone, so to me it is the best at what it does, detect and remove, and why people post reviews of software they never even tried and say well I use such and such then it sounds like you are the one doing the comparing.

when did I compare ?? read my previous comments !! I've clearly said "I know malwarebytes is the best malware removal tool in the market right now due to its best detection rate and probably it'll continue to dominate for next few years" .. In my thread I said that I dont need to use malwarebytes premium as I've already using another paid product kaspersky .. I just run the free version of MBAM from time to time to see if there is any threat in my system .. :D So it is you who did the comparison "Just saying" :D .. not me .. find me a post where did I say that Kaspersky is better than MBAM .. I dare you :p I had some confusion regarding the detection rates of MBAM compared to others like Kompass and Tiranium which was clarified by other members :) So, read the whole post carefully before posting such comments .. :confused:

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
Just an opinion from many different individuals. Try to learn why they so strongly about their opinions. Not whether they are
wrong and/or right. This will give you the real answer to the comparing things!;)

koushik

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2013
@Moose bro !! he said "and such then it sounds like you are the one doing the comparing" ... when did I even compare ??? I've known for a long time that MBAM is the best Anti - Malware in the market .. so I was really surprised when softpedia gave it a bad rating (2 out of 5) ... even I use the free version of MBAM from time to time to scan my pc but I dont use the paid version as I'm already using another paid security suite .. that's why I started this thread to ask users their opinion about recent versions of malwarbytes whether it is upto its expectations or not .. but then the guy juhful commented "Better detection rate than Kaspersky, just sayin " :eek: where did I compare kaspersky with MBAM in the first place ?? that's why ... I hope you do understand .. I have learnt many things from the members of malwaretips.com .. so I'm grateful to each and every one of you :) cheers :D

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
Sorry, koushik! I just reading the different posts that various individuals have posted. I was not directing anything toward you.
And/or anybody else!
I just was trying to be tactful in my response. Again, I am sorry it you and/or anybody had taken my response wrong. Will you forgive me? :(

juhful

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
@Moose bro !! he said "and such then it sounds like you are the one doing the comparing" ... when did I even compare ??? I've known for a long time that MBAM is the best Anti - Malware in the market .. so I was really surprised when softpedia gave it a bad rating (2 out of 5) ... even I use the free version of MBAM from time to time to scan my pc but I dont use the paid version as I'm already using another paid security suite .. that's why I started this thread to ask users their opinion about recent versions of malwarbytes whether it is upto its expectations or not .. but then the guy juhful commented "Better detection rate than Kaspersky, just sayin " :eek: where did I compare kaspersky with MBAM in the first place ?? that's why ... I hope you do understand .. I have learnt many things from the members of malwaretips.com .. so I'm grateful to each and every one of you :) cheers :D
You use Kaspersky and you were saying Mbam's detection went down and wasn't that good, so I just mentioned it was better then the product you were using, that's all :) No offense just different opinions ;)

Raul90

Level 14
Feb 5, 2012
I have MBAM Premium with me but I have never used it as an AV but always a second-opinion scanner / remover tool. I feel MBAM is there to complement my main security setup and am not that convinced that it can be there in the likes of Kaspersky, Norton, Avast, Eset to name a few..just did not consider it to be(maybe even at this moment...). I also have Hitman Pro installed(free) and it's also a second-opinion malware scanner. If my main AV misses something and MBAM or HMP scans it and there is a finding I let MBAM clean it for me.

koushik

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2013
You use Kaspersky and you were saying Mbam's detection went down and wasn't that good, so I just mentioned it was better then the product you were using, that's all :) No offense just different opinions ;)

aahh :) it's okk ... cheers :D

Reactions: juhful

koushik

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2013
Sorry, koushik! I just reading the different posts that various individuals have posted. I was not directing anything toward you.
And/or anybody else!
I just was trying to be tactful in my response. Again, I am sorry it you and/or anybody had taken my response wrong. Will you forgive me? :(

don't say sorry bro :) we're like a family :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.