Malwarebytes partners with spammers, to push premium version?

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Are you sure Malwarebytes are partners with them?

Many 'bad guys' like to link to reputable programs as to appear legitimate. When in fact it is a fake installer that comes bundle with adware, spyware and other nasties.

Also regarding your title "to push premium version", I must have missed something cause I can't find anthing that said you should use the premium version. It simply tells you to download Malwarebytes. Whether you should use free or premium it's up to you.

Also I recommend downloading Malwarebytes either from the source or very reputable and well-known sites like MajorGeeks.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Actually the sites like this mentioned are known to be questionnable on providing steps to remove the threats due to the tools being use like SpyHunter but MBAM is not use to promote the product rather another alternative tool for a step which other websites recommending for prior solution. ;)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
@Smith83, thank you for sharing an informative article which was more focused upon the "..way to remove Safesear.ch" rather than a plug for Malwarebytes Anti-Malware premium, though that was also quite clear.o_O
Are you sure Malwarebytes are partners with them?

Many 'bad guys' like to link to reputable programs as to appear legitimate. When in fact it is a fake installer that comes bundle with adware, spyware and other nasties.

Also regarding your title "to push premium version", I must have missed something cause I can't find anthing that said you should use the premium version. It simply tells you to download Malwarebytes. Whether you should use free or premium it's up to you.

Also I recommend downloading Malwarebytes either from the source or very reputable and well-known sites like MajorGeeks.
I think @Azure Phoenix made some good points. The site "uninstalltips.net" (authors of the article) displayed a MBAM link which logically indicated 'they' may be partnered with both Spyware Hunter & Malwarebytes too, but the 'hackers' in question, the very hackers responsible for :eek:the Safesear.ch infection, were in fact those mentioned in the article.:oops: It can be easily confused,:confused: and as Azure Phoenix expressed, I wondered whether I was missing something too!:rolleyes:

I second Azure Phoenix's tip on downloading from the source (the official developers' site) and feel quite happy about MajorGeeks! Thanks to member friends on MT, they are my newest (imho) trusted "go to site" from whence I'd recently downloaded PrivaZer.;):)

Last edited:

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
@Smith83, thank you for sharing an informative article which was more focused upon the "..way to remove Safesear.ch" rather than a plug for Malwarebytes Anti-Malware premium, though that was also quite clear.o_O

I think @Azure Phoenix made some good points. The site "uninstalltips.net" (authors of the article) displayed a MBAM link which logically indicated 'they' may be partnered with both Spyware Hunter & Malwarebytes too, but the 'hackers' in question, the very hackers responsible for :eek:the Safesear.ch infection, were in fact those mentioned in the article.:oops: It can be easily confused,:confused: and as Azure Phoenix expressed, I wondered whether I was missing something too!:rolleyes:

I second Azure Phoenix's tip on downloading from the source (the official developers' site) and feel quite happy about MajorGeeks! Thanks to member friends on MT, they are my newest (imho) trusted "go to site" from whence I'd recently downloaded PrivaZer.;):)
that's why I always suggest to use for cleaning virues the safest program available in the market (msert.exe) and only if it fail to remove continue with 3rd party cleaners. though MBAM is known as one of the best virus cleaner.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
I dont think that MBAM may be linked with this company... just to remeber you the case where YAC was telling us that they were a partner of mbam, but they were stealing their engine and signature

S

Smith83

Thread author
I can't find anthing that said you should use the premium version

The link for malwarebytes is linked, to the premium version to the legit malwarebytes.org.

the very hackers responsible for :eek:the Safesear.ch infection, were in fact those mentioned in the article.:oops: It can be easily confused,

Spyhunter spams that is a fact, I help in other forums and have seen them spam the crap out of threads. Here is an example of the spam. I like to watch this malware section to get a good laugh at the terrible attempts to remove malware.

hxxp://wwx.pchelpforum.com/antivirus-firewalls-and-system-security/120927-how-remove-safesearch-malware-probabl-got-via-pdflite.html

I dont think that MBAM may be linked with this company

I do think that they are, since it would be easier for them to deny, if the link was not to the actual malwarebytes installer and especially to the actual premium version. Why would it not just be a direct link to the free version, it is a link that pushes premium version.

They contacted YAC immediately once they found out, you think a company like MBAM doesn't know where each of the major backlinks are? To allow such a thing is pretty shady if you ask me. Then Again money.....

They could possibly deny it easier if circumstances were different, I think there is a shady deal going on behind the scenes....

Last edited by a moderator:

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
I do think that they are, since it would be easier for them to deny, if the link was not to the actual malwarebytes installer and especially to the actual premium version. Why would it not just be a direct link to the free version, it is a link that pushes premium version.

if you check our main page here at MalwareTips, you may find that all removal guides includes a link to mbam (well i didn know that there is a premium installer) as you said they contacted YAC as soon as they found out... however please note that YAC is a product that was in market since a loooong time ago... so if what you say is true they would contacted YAC time ago... not until now

S

Smith83

Thread author
so if what you say is true they would contacted YAC time ago... not until now

Maybe YAC only recently started to steal ...? Trust me a company like Malwarebytes would know where there backlinks are, spyhunter is on top of every major browser hijacker that comes out, if you search for any of them in google then spyhunter has a guide for removing it, and included is a link to malwarebytes... To say they do not know is well um crazy.

Anyway I just thought people would like to know is all. I personally do not care just think it is funny.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
The link for malwarebytes is linked, to the premium version to the legit malwarebytes.org.

Spyhunter spams that is a fact, I help in other forums and have seen them spam the crap out of threads. Here is an example of the spam. I like to watch this malware section to get a good laugh at the terrible attempts to remove malware.

hxxp://wwx.pchelpforum.com/antivirus-firewalls-and-system-security/120927-how-remove-safesearch-malware-probabl-got-via-pdflite.html

They contacted YAC immediately once they found out, you think a company like MBAM doesn't know where each of the major backlinks are? To allow such a thing is pretty shady if you ask me. Then Again money.....

They could possibly deny it easier if circumstances were different, I think there is a shady deal going on behind the scenes....
@Smith83, I can see your point about Shady deals and behavior predicated on money. It's good we are talking about this.
Thanks for being a whistle blower.:)

Reactions: Smith83

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
Maybe YAC only recently started to steal ...? Trust me a company like Malwarebytes would know where there backlinks are, spyhunter is on top of every major browser hijacker that comes out, if you search for any of them in google then spyhunter has a guide for removing it, and included is a link to malwarebytes... To say they do not know is well um crazy.

Anyway I just thought people would like to know is all. I personally do not care just think it is funny.

MBAM is a company that cares about PUP and programs that mess up with users... most malware autors use to link their stuff wiht reputable vendors like microsoft, adobe or etc... once in malware hub we saw a trojan downloader bundled with CCleaner (yes, the original CCleaner) and i dont think that they were doing that... in fact malwarebytes offers you step by steps guides about how to remove malware in theif blogs so i dont think that they would need another place to tell what actually they already do.

S

Smith83

Thread author
They clearly know about this is all I am saying, sure they can remove malware for free. They are clearly pushing the premium version here.....

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
MBAM is a company that cares about PUP and programs that mess up with users... most malware autors use to link their stuff wiht reputable vendors like microsoft, adobe or etc... once in malware hub we saw a trojan downloader bundled with CCleaner (yes, the original CCleaner) and i dont think that they were doing that... in fact malwarebytes offers you step by steps guides about how to remove malware in theif blogs so i dont think that they would need another place to tell what actually they already do.
This brings to mind images of Snow White's infamous :eek:"Poison Apple"! From grower to distributor, we should all watch out whom is handling the apps, :p while refusing to bite into apples bundled with (poison) PUPs!:D

Reactions: kiric96

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
If you go to the official Malwarebytes page and click "Learn More" under the "Buy Premium Now" button it takes you to the same page linked in this article.Here is the link from the MBAM Home page to that page https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/premium/

However this atricle form this site/Author or however has linked directly to MBAM Premium page but as you can clearly see the links are totally different https://www.malwarebytes.org/antima...14067&utm_campaign=AFF-CJ_4351754&tracking=cj

I would imagine this is a affiliate/Reseller link but I do not see anywhere on this page http://www.uninstalltips.net/remove-safesear-ch-redirect-virus-effectively where it would indicate that MBAM has partnered with spammers to push their premium version as this articles link is not the official direct link to the official MBAM premium page.

Personally I would avoid this website altogether.If you look at their sidebar they are pushing SpyHunter and MBAM.Note the big green "Download SpyHunter Now" button throughout the helpful :rolleyes: removal guide.Note on the sidebar the free MBAM version image which takes you to this unofficial MBAM premium page.I would never consider downloading SpyHunter and would only visit Malwarebytes official website to purchase premium version(even though the clicking the purchase button in this articles link appears to take you to the official checkout page).Further only the official site or reputable download site for the free version.

IMO there is absolutely no proof anywhere in this article that MBAM is partnering with spammers.Many reputable vendors have affiliate & reselling partners.You get a percentage of the cost of each license you sell using the affiliate/reselling link they provide you with.They also will provide you with official logos,banners as well as landing pages if the need be.

All i see here is a website using a malware removal guide to push SpyHunter and maybe MBAM as well.I would assume for their own monetary benefit.

I think the lesson here is to avoid websites like this period.There are countless other sites(this one included) that will offer malware removal guides and assistance for free and links to totally free,reputable software vendors for help in removal.

Without anything concrete to back up this question or claim this thread should probably be closed however this is turning out to be a good lesson in sites not to visit when looking for a solution to a malware problem.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.