McKnife's Security config

Korora

Level 2
Verified
Jul 22, 2015
shield-ok-icon.png

Suggestions:
1. Remove uTorrent as it can no longer be considered as 'secure'.
2. Replace Adblock Plus with something like Adguard or uBlock as Adblock Plus allows 'acceptable' ads.
3. Consider using WFC (Windows Firewall Control) to extend Windows Firewall.
4. Maybe add Google Chrome or Opera to the list? Always good to have a chromium based browser :)
5. Add HTTPS Everywhere to your browser extensions list.

H

hjlbx

@Pat MacKnife

I would just suggest adding the following: BiniSoft's Windows Firewall Control (adds WF outbound notifications) and perhaps an anti-executable (freeware = NoVirusThanks Exe Radar Pro - find the installer at Wilders Security NVT ERP subforum).

NVT ERP to lock-down system, BD Free to detect any known malicious files you allow or gets onto your system without your knowledge and WFC to detect any outbound connects.

In my experience, NVT ERP blocks everything that is not white-listed, so BD free and WFC are there just-in-case...

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Thank you @Pat MacKnife for sharing your configuration.
I liked your hardware specs.:cool: CCleaner is safe enough to use daily which I practice before (..or sometimes after) every browsing session.:) I also use Windows Firewall on 8.1, although we've installed Comodo Firewall on our old Dell tower's XP system which also provides a very impressive sandboxing feature.

This brings us to the security benefits of a virtualization program. The first free apps recommended by staff & experienced members here for my own configuration were the reputable Firewalls mentioned above by @MagicTrout (including Windows) and the extra layer of protection through utilizing a sandbox (Sandboxie). Originally developed to address vulnerabilities in Microsoft's IE, hence the name Sandbox-ie was born!:):)
On the right side of the download page are videos & tutorials if you have not already made it's acquaintance.:p

I agree with @Korora's tips, and have used both uBlock & uBlock Origin. As far as I know "..Origin" is the original developer team leader, and uBlock the original group. The choice is yours ..& You can't go wrong! https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search/?q=ublo&appver=24.9&platform=windows
as well as HTTPS Everywhere https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere
I shall also take a closer looko_O @hjlbx's NVT ERP!

Among my favorite extensions which has made my life both more secure and less stressful is LastPass' free extension/or binary app. password manager/form filler which uses 256 bit encryption security.
Thank you, Pat, for reading all the way from up there:rolleyes: to down :oops:here!:p:D

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
Hi, I suggest you to follow the other
suggestions, because are very important and preciouse.
In addition you can also install Collusion extension, which let you know which sites are tracking you.
Thanks for sharing it ;)

L

LabZero

Update Flash Player if you haven't already done so to fix at least known vulnerabilities, see Hacking Team & Co...

I agree with the recommendations of other members.

BD free edition is a good product but obviously limited. Possibly you might consider choosing another antivirus that enable greater control of security operations, but this is a personal opinion.

Pat MacKnife

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 14, 2015
Thank you @Pat MacKnife for sharing your configuration.
I liked your hardware specs.:cool: CCleaner is safe enough to use daily which I practice before (..or sometimes after) every browsing session.:) I also use Windows Firewall on 8.1, although we've installed Comodo Firewall on our old Dell tower's XP system which also provides a very impressive sandboxing feature.

This brings us to the security benefits of a virtualization program. The first free apps recommended by staff & experienced members here for my own configuration were the reputable Firewalls mentioned above by @MagicTrout (including Windows) and the extra layer of protection through utilizing a sandbox (Sandboxie). Originally developed to address vulnerabilities in Microsoft's IE, hence the name Sandbox-ie was born!:):)
On the right side of the download page are videos & tutorials if you have not already made it's acquaintance.:p

I agree with @Korora's tips, and have used both uBlock & uBlock Origin. As far as I know "..Origin" is the original developer team leader, and uBlock the original group. The choice is yours ..& You can't go wrong! https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search/?q=ublo&appver=24.9&platform=windows
as well as HTTPS Everywhere https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere
I shall also take a closer looko_O @hjlbx's NVT ERP!

Among my favorite extensions which has made my life both more secure and less stressful is LastPass' free extension/or binary app. password manager/form filler which uses 256 bit encryption security.
Thank you, Pat, for reading all the way from up there:rolleyes: to down :oops:here!:p:D
Thanks for the tips about HTTPS Everywhere, Ublock ...etc :)

Update Flash Player if you haven't already done so to fix at least known vulnerabilities, see Hacking Team & Co...

I agree with the recommendations of other members.

BD free edition is a good product but obviously limited. Possibly you might consider choosing another antivirus that enable greater control of security operations, but this is a personal opinion.
I have tested many AV programs like panda free, AVG, avira free, used one year Qihoo 360 but due privacy concerns and the bad news about cheating on tests i stopped using 360.
Till now BD free is the best option for me, it might be limited in configuration but its got the same protection like the paid version: Real-time Shield, B-have, detection intrusion, ActiveVirusControl , HTTP Scanning, Anti-rootkit.
But as you mention its a personal opinion ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
If you required some certain application or website to use shockwave player then retain Unless none of the purpose which better to remove vulnerability risk.

Optional: For planning to upgrade Windows 10 and experience bad impression then highly install Goback Free by EASEUS.

www.easeus.com/system-go-back/

Winrar can be replace by Bandizip or 7-zip which are free to use.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.