Level 64
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
Microsoft Indonesia confirms a free license for Windows 9

Windows 9 preview is almost here, as Microsoft will unveil the first public build of the upcoming operating system in just a few days, but we have already heard quite a lot of details about this product thanks to people who are more or less familiar with the development plans.

The software giant has remained completely tight-lipped on the Windows 9 work until now, with the exception of Microsoft’s France President, who confirmed that the preview would be unveiled next week, but someone else from within the company now comes with a few more exciting tidbits of information.

Windows 9 would be free for Windows 8 users, Microsoft Indonesia President Andreas Diantoro reportedly said during a recent event, which comes as a confirmation that the company is working to boost early uptake of the new OS as much as possible from the very beginning.

Still not confirmed by Microsoft
The news comes via local publication detik.com, which writes that Diantoro talked about Microsoft’s Windows 9 plan during a recent event at Hotel Mulia in Jakarta. The conference took place on Thursday, the source notes, and Diantoro confirmed that a Windows 9 preview build would be coming next week.

What’s also interesting is that Microsoft is also preparing a built-in update system that would allow Windows 8 users to automatically update to Windows 9, without the need for a clean installation.

Apps and settings, however, might be lost, but again, there’s no confirmation from Microsoft on this.

Here’s what Diantoro said, thanks to an approximate translation with Google Translate:
“It’s easy, when Windows 9 will be released, users who are using Windows 8 just have to update via their device. Then Windows 9 will be installed automatically.”

Not the first time when Windows 9 is said to come for free
This isn’t the first time when some sources suggest that Windows 9 might be offered with a freeware license, but it’s definitely the first confirmation that we get from someone for within the company.

Previous reports on the matter indicated that Windows 9 might become completely free for a wider array of users, including Windows 8 and Window 7 customers, but there were also some voices indicating that Microsoft could go as far as making this release free of charge even for XP adopters.

While there’s no doubt that a free license is really great news for Windows 9, keep in mind that Microsoft hasn’t yet confirmed this, and it’s pretty odd to hear it first from its Indonesian branch, especially when dealing with such an important change.

As a result, don’t take it for granted, but there’s definitely hope that Windows 9 could be free, so next week’s event will clearly keep many people with an eye on Microsoft news.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
WOW free windows 9? Well that great, but i cannot help thinking:

1: How much spyware and adware is build into windows 9 to keep it free?
2: How much BIG data is MS going to collect to be that desperate that they actually offer 9 for free?
3: And more importantly how bad must windows 9 be that they start to offer it for free?

And to tell you the truth i did hear some things in the industry from insiders about windows 9, if you think the NSA can watch your windows 8 then you might be surprised to know what they can do on the new windows 9.
You might as well call the NSA and ask them to switch to channel 8 so you can watch your favorite movie on WMP.

Sarcastic? Yes i got every reason to do so...lol

Adhit Prakosho

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
it’s pretty odd to hear it first from its Indonesian branch, especially when dealing with such an important change
mucha grande sarcastic

important note :

language Indonesian : Sedangkan bagi pengguna yang belum menggunakan Windows 8, tentunya wajib membeli Windows 9 setelah diluncurkan nanti bila ingin merasakannya.

language english : As for users who have not use Windows 8, of course, obliged to BUY Windows 9 when it is released later on if you want to feel (iam sorry bad english).

"FREE" it is intended only window 8 users the have a legitimate license (JUST upgrade Windows 8 to 9)

From http://inet.detik.com/read/2014/09/25/182535/2701450/317/ceo-microsoft-windows-9-gratis-asalkan

NO matter where the big news coming from (as long as you understand the contents of the news)!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Malware1
S

starchild76

2: How much BIG data is MS going to collect to be that desperate that they actually offer 9 for free?
3: And more importantly how bad must windows 9 be that they start to offer it for free?

And to tell you the truth i did hear some things in the industry from insiders about windows 9, if you think the NSA can watch your windows 8 then you might be surprised to know what they can do on the new windows 9.
You might as well call the NSA and ask them to switch to channel 8 so you can watch your favorite movie on WMP.

I have a huge feeling that your sixth sense is right on this @n.nvt , because its all about the mighty buck around micro$oft headquarters , even if they offer it free , customers will pay a big price anyway :p

Reactions: Razor555

Adhit Prakosho

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
You must have a legitimate license Windows 8 to get (FREE / upgrade) to Window 9.
@Petrovic "you should fully understand the contents of the news" , you have deviated from the true meaning of the news. Please straightened out this news in your thread.

Last edited:

Razor555

Level 5
Verified
Sep 15, 2014

Finally you said something that i agree with you.
I didn't expect that to be honest. :D

ا

الشمس

language Indoneisa : Sedangkan bagi pengguna yang belum menggunakan Windows 8, tentunya wajib membeli Windows 9 setelah diluncurkan nanti bila ingin merasakannya.

it is indonesia & the language is indonesian...you misspelt it.

NO matter where the big news coming from

i meant no offence to any geographic location & i am sure nor did petrovic mean anything demeaning.

an announcement this big should / would ideally come from microsoft headquarters at redmond washington :

microsoft.jpg

Razor555

Level 5
Verified
Sep 15, 2014
I would not be surprised at all if they gave windows 9 for free. The economy is going to hell anyway and you know it.
How else would they spy on us with the new tech and features they have created? :D

Adhit Prakosho

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
it is indonesia & the language is indonesian...you misspelt it.

i meant no offence to any geographic location & i am sure nor did petrovic mean anything demeaning.

an announcement this big should / would ideally come from microsoft headquarters at redmond washington :

View attachment 22564

Yes I'm sorry for the wrong spelling. I know him had no intent to disparage, but here I just straighten. :)

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014

Just as Windows 8.1 is free for Windows 8 users, the same will be for Windows 9 users. I dont' think there is a huge improvement in Windows 9 to shed another 100$ may be.

Adhit Prakosho

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
no apology needed brother :)

we all love our father / mother land & we all also respect another's love for her / his father / mother land.

Thank you very much for your understanding brother, This is a great forum the will respect and appreciate each other :):):)

Reactions: Malware1
ا

الشمس

I would not be surprised at all if they gave windows 9 for free.

microsoft dominates the computer market share with almost 90% computers globally using windows :

microsoft market share.jpg

with that kind of a gigantic market monopoly i see no need for microsoft to bend over backwards.

you want microsoft windows, well shell out the money or you can always go to mac / linux.

Razor555

Level 5
Verified
Sep 15, 2014
microsoft dominates the computer market share with almost 90% computers globally using windows :

View attachment 22565

with that kind of a gigantic market monopoly i see no need for microsoft to bend over backwards.

you want microsoft windows, well shell out the money or you can always go to mac / linux.

Sorry not shelling any more money for MS. I have bought win 8 on release date and later i have seen the mess created when the 8.1 update has hit the market. MS can shove win 9 where they know best. It will be basically win 8 with a few changes.

ا

الشمس

i have seen the mess created when the 8.1 update has hit the market.

ditto that...i have always maintained & still say that windows 8.1 should have been just a service pack.

MS can shove win 9 where they know best.

l.m.a.o. :D be nice mate ;)

It will be basically win 8 with a few changes.

it has to be :

windows 7 = 2009 windows 8 = 2012 windows 8.1 = 2013 windows 9 = 2014 approximately / probably.

microsoft should have stuck with windows 8 for a couple of years & made windows 8.1 a service pack i.m.h.o.

i personally dislike an operating system with a dot / point in it viz. windows 8.1

it seems so androidish / macish / ubuntuish ;)

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
Its just a marketing strategy to get more customers.
As Win 8 didn't turn our to be a good product, MS didn't get a lot of buyers for it. So, if the same thing happens to Win 9 then they will have nowhere to hide their face. But, if they offer it free then it can be a face saviour, for both case i.e. even if it turns out just like Win 8, then they can say that they have given it for free, and if turns out to be good then, they can say that they always look after their customers.
Secondly, if Win 9 is a success then there will be a lot of talk about it, this will make the product more popular and in turn will bring a lot of customers ( from XP and Win 7 and may be Linux) to them.

ا

الشمس

@jogs,

very well said...if / when push comes to shove microsoft just might be doing exactly as you have stated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.