Not open for further replies.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Microsoft released Windows 10 to the world this Wednesday and the response has been terrific, with more than 16 upgrades per second. In order to deal with the considerable amount of data this would require, Microsoft acquired as much as 40Tbps with all of the major CDNs - the company was already consuming 10Tbps when that article was written.

In order to alleviate some of the load on its servers and allow users to upgrade faster, however, Microsoft has introduced what it calls Windows Update Delivery Optimization, which works similar to a torrent, hosting the install files on local PCs and then propagating them to other PCs on either your local network or the internet.

The problem comes in the fact that Microsoft has enabled this option by default and that no notice is provided to customers that Windows is, in the background, using some of their bandwidth and their data for updating other users' Windows. Several web sites have already called Microsoft out for this and what they - and other consumers - find to be misallocation of their network without permission.

If you head over to the 'Updates and Security' tab in the setting page, under 'Advanced Options' you can choose how updates are delivered, which will lead you to the above page. From there, you can disable the option - in case you have a data cap - and can also alternate between allowing the PC to propagate updates to networks on the local network only or also those on the internet. The former might prove particularly useful for those households with slower internet connections as the update only needs to be downloaded on one machine and can, then, be passed on to other devices in the family without requiring too much internet bandwidth.

While this is certainly a useful feature that makes the upgrade process smoother and much faster, some have already begun to complain that leaving this option on by default is detrimental to them. Microsoft has, for its part, clarified that the feature only used up a “limited portion” of idle upload bandwidth and while this may help with speeds, those with data caps might still not be satisfied.

Source: The Next Web

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Noticed that straight away yesterday after the installation being completed the bandwith usage didnt make sense at all :)

When I need to run updates ( sorry I still do no believe in fresh out of the over updates with Microsoft as even on Windows 8.1 there has been hiccups. Its a trend not just in Microsoft but in around 80% of software and Operating Systems (Arch Linux anyone :p)

Thanks for sharing.

Hopefully this will alert more users.

M

Makarboy

This is a kind of cloud that all the antiviruses do right? cloud update

arslan ejaz

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 5, 2015
What is Microsoft Doing Seriously previously a very horrifying privacy T&C and now this
And Yes I have also seen that after upgrading to Windows 10 something is uploading when I wake up my pc while it is idle so that's what uploading I am thinking to revert back to Windows 8

Reactions: frogboy
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.