Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Redmond rolls out new options for the Windows Store
Windows 10 Home users are not allowed to defer system updates, and as we’ve recently found out, they weren't even allowed to disable app updates in the Windows Store, so all new versions that were released through the store were automatically installed on their PCs.

Today, however, Microsoft has rolled out an update for the Windows Store, and as part of this release, the company has also introduced an option to disable automatic app updates.

In other words, if you don't want new versions of your apps to be automatically installed on your PC, just fire up the Windows Store, go to Settings and disable this new option. After that, the Windows Store will let you know that updates are available, but you'll have to manually install them on the computer.

As far as the OS updates are concerned, Microsoft says that it doesn't allow Windows 10 Home users to delay them because many are consumers who only expect the best experience on the operating system, without having to spend any time setting it up. Keeping Windows Update always on should help ensure that, the company has said, without mentioning what happens in case botched updates are also shipped.

On the other hand, Windows 10 Pro users have not only options to disable automatic app updates in the store but also settings to defer updates, so if you want a little bit more from the OS, this is the better choice for you.

NikolayfromRussia

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Jul 3, 2014
Redmond rolls out new options for the Windows Store
Windows 10 Home users are not allowed to defer system updates, and as we’ve recently found out, they weren't even allowed to disable app updates in the Windows Store, so all new versions that were released through the store were automatically installed on their PCs.

It is forbidden to swear on MT forums, so I have to use good words to express my feelings. What to say... They don't allow to disable app updates in the Windows Store. They don't allow the users to disable ,,spy on,, option. So, we have to use the 3-rd party tools or doing some tricks that will be useless after receiving new updates. I guess Microsoft also knows about provided instructions ,,how to disable data collection and telemetry,, And they will do something by releasing new upgrades to collect data/telemetry.

NikolayfromRussia

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Jul 3, 2014
Well i hope they allow us to turn off ALL microsofts snooping too? or maybe i'm hoping for too much?
It would be a nice OS if it wasnt for the spyware:(

I don't understand why Microsoft gives itself the right to pass loads of our data to Microsoft’s servers. I still use Windows 7 pro and not going to move Windows 10. I don't have any secret information to hide or worry about. But I don' like my data to be sent and stored on their servers :cool:
Now , I understand why Microsoft was so ,,generous,, when announced about free upgrade to Windows 10. We give you a free upgrade but will collect your data :) By the way, they should use a slogan like:
Get your free upgrade and we will get your data!

Last edited:
Reactions: frogboy and Kuttz

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
This is a great addition to the Windows Store, as on Windows 8/8.1 and WP8.1, users were allowed to disable Auto-updates. Anyone know the KB?

Reminder: This thread posted by @exterminator20 is about "Windows Store and Auto-App Updates", not Microsoft Telemetry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.