Microsoft Patents Multi-OS Smartphone to Run Android and Windows 10 on Same Device

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
OSes could be delivered compressed, let users install them
Microsoft has recently applied for a new patent that would allow the company to build a multi-OS smartphone that would come with two or even more operating systems, letting users choose which one to install after buying the device.

The idea isn't new, and Microsoft itself wanted to make custom Windows 10 ROMs available for Android devices in order to bring more users on board, but this is pretty much the first step the company takes in this direction.

And according to the images included in the patent, which has been spotted by WMPU, the system would work in a very simple but effective way.
Compressed OSes
Basically, a device that supports such a feature would ship with several operating systems, but they won't be pre-installed from the very beginning. Apparently, the OSes will be compressed and users will be able to choose which one they want.

The device will then “receive instructions to install an operational instance of an individual operating system on a device that has multiple inoperable compressed operating systems stored on it,” according to patent information.

Once this process comes to an end, users can “configure the device in a manner that is unique to the operating system” and “install the operational instance of the operating system.”

So basically, you can buy a device that comes with multiple OSes, choose which one you want, and start installation. After that, you need to configure the phone in order to work with features that are included in the OS you choose.

The aforementioned source says that it might be possible to remove the other operating systems in order to get more space, but at the same time, you could also be allowed to keep them just in case you might want to switch to a different one at a later time. Obviously, dual-booting could also be possible.

At this point, this is only a patent and there's no sign of a device featuring such tech, but it's good to see that Microsoft is looking into ways to make its devices and Windows 10 Mobile appealing in more ways.

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
Wonderful news. But I would have really liked something that we can do on PCs i.e. switch between any of the OSes any time.

Reactions: Moose and XhenEd

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
Great news. I always loved Android but wanted to have the full taste of Windows as well.

Tani

Level 9
Verified
Nov 25, 2014
dual OS shouldn't be any issue we're already having, we're already having multi rom features by xda developers.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Dual OS is a welcome feature to every gadgets which must not hold as limitations.

The thing makes it a drawback is due to competition reasons.

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
Is it going to be like that
1. I buy an Android phone, then I don't like the OS then, I can switch to Win.
Or
2. I buy a Win phone, then if required I can switch to Android.
And will any of the above apply to the existing phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.