Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
screenshot_%2827%29_story.jpg

A recent Patch Tuesday security update has been pulled by Microsoft after receiving reports from users getting the Blue Screen of Death, after installing the update.

According to Microsoft's support website, the security update had various issues and it could cause Windows not to boot in some cases; the company has stopped distributing the update through Windows Update as well as its website.

The kernel-mode security update KB2982791 has a total of three known issues according to Microsoft's security bulletin which includes the locking down of the fonts folder in Windows, incorrect rendering of system fonts on Windows 8, 8.1, 8.1 RT and Server 2012 R2 with August update and system crashes which have been reported by users.

Microsoft has provided the steps to remove the update from the computer over at their support website and affected users should follow them if they are unable to boot to Windows successfully. The company has also provided the steps to gain access to the fonts folder which will be left locked even after removing the update manually.

Source: Microsoft Support via WindowsITPro

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Recently i mentioned that i had a issue after running privazer tool in my PC. I had a slight feeling that ,Was there any problem with my updates? So i was suggested to perform restore from a restore point, luckily i had a restore point, i restored and reinstalled August Updates. Guess what these updates has worked up with my PC and its performance and stability seems to fixed after updating. So no problems until now for my PC. But seems like many users are facing some or the other issues after the update.

SherKaan

Level 12
Verified
Mar 17, 2014
I have the update in question already installed, but no problems here. What should I do then?

Reactions: kiric96

SherKaan

Level 12
Verified
Mar 17, 2014
I uninstalled the 2/4 (only 2 were present in my system) mentioned updates in the Microsoft support article. Do I also need to manually delete the system files and the specific Registry key mentioned in that article? Too bad, the support article is confusing.

-http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2982791

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
I uninstalled the 2/4 (only 2 were present in my system) mentioned updates in the Microsoft support article. Do I also need to manually delete the system files and the specific Registry key mentioned in that article? Too bad, the support article is confusing.

-http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2982791

No, you dont have to do anything remember that no all the systems are configured in the same way, for example in my case i have no problems with the mentioned update, so, if no problem is present you dont have to move your fingers

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
I have all of these updates installed and I didn't experience any system crash or BSODs so far.
I guess that if your system is well managed, you won't experience these crashes.

Reactions: kiric96

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
This was enough to make me switch to Ubuntu Linux on my VAIO laptop. It's working great, and I learnt to use the Terminal commands.
Code:
 sudo apt-get

Reactions: Cowpipe

Petrovic

Level 64
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
Microsoft has retracted its August Windows 8.1 Patch Tuesday update after users reported crashes and problems restarting their systems.

One reported bug impacted fonts and where they are installed, as well as how they are rendered, according to Microsoft. Another caused systems to crash with a ‘0x50 Stop error message.'

The company revised the affected update's bulletin to reflect potential issues.

Users who have already downloaded the problematic fix can remedy it through Microsoft's instructions, which were posted online.

Microsoft's August Patch Tuesday shipped nine fixes for 37 bugs and addressed issues in Internet Explorer, in addition to other security issues. This is the first Patch Tuesday update to address problems with Windows 8.1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.