Microsoft releases tool to hide or block unwanted Windows 10 updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 178

broken update? as said the one of the security guards after Neo shot at them :

"send backup ! "

:D

honestly so much fuss... like no one knows what is a backup.

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
That's positive and really good. I personally supports mandatory windows update that applies to security updates but not any other forms of updates like performance, bug fixes or driver updates that all has the dangerous potential to make a system useless. Leave such updates to the user's hands whether to install or not than forcefully installing it to user's system.

Reactions: Enju

Secondmineboy

Level 26
Verified
May 25, 2014
They should just get the option back to ask the user which updates he wants to install like in Windows 7.............

That would be much better

Reactions: frogboy

Paul B.

Level 4
Verified
Dec 21, 2014
"The package is labeled for use with the Windows 10 Insider Preview, but based on its performance on the final (10240) preview build, it looks like it should work with the final release beginning July 29."​

That's not enough for me. There is no guarantee that this will apply to the RTM, and no commitment that MS will not at some point limit or even void entirely the functionality of this patch. Win10 is going to have a l-o-n-g life, and I have no desire to spend those years keeping a watchful eye on MS's desire to control my machines. This was very bad policy from the get-go, and never should have been implemented.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
They should just get the option back to ask the user which updates he wants to install like in Windows 7.............

That would be much better
Yes and No.

Non-delayed updates, automatically reduces any major security risks that expose the OS to attackers. Similar to modern browsers, updates are applied silently in the background, no user interaction and (maybe) increased productivity. Install and forget.

Another perspective, Imagine if you had to Click Update every 4 hours for your Antivirus to Update, or Confirm to Backup your documents every 1 day. - Slightly exaggerated. :p

For greater control, you can upgrade to Windows 10 Pro. Or with experience, you could disable Windows Updates (as has @MrXidus), although not recommended, as you will be exposed to more vulnerabilities, and especially if you forget to re-enable the service.

Last note, I would hope that the non-delayed Windows Updates are Critical only, leaving Recommended and Optional, as user choice.

vindiesel

Level 7
Verified
Apr 15, 2013
Hello friends been reading and this update of Windows 10 puts windows slow: KB3074681

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
What are the unwanted updates in Win 10?

Many possibilities:

Optional updates: Like drivers are better not to install as long you conduct the research which should not affect Windows behavior.

Recommended updates: For some reason, when Microsoft mistakes are totally outburst then patches will kill by computers immediately so also conduct a research on what the updates all about.

And unfortunately two issues are totally occurred before Windows 10 release date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.