Microsoft Rolls Out Windows 7 Test Update by Mistake, Makes Everyone Believe They Got Hacked

Status
Not open for further replies.

SillyBilly299

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 26, 2015
If you're still on Windows 7 and received a notification for an update wit a very uncommon and suspicious name, don't worry, it's just Microsoft testing the update service.

The company has mistakenly released a test patch to Windows 7 consumers, making everyone believe that the Update service got hacked and now users are infected with malware.

There are hundreds of posts everywhere you look online pointing to this patch which, let's be honest, doesn't look at all as a legitimate Windows update. Its name is a long string of random letters and numbers and its description says absolutely nothing about the things it attempts to patch, so people were worried that Microsoft's servers got compromised and the company's Windows Update service is now being used to spread malware.

Despite the worries, some people actually tried to install the patch, but the process failed because Microsoft rapidly removed it from its servers.

And in a statement released shortly after that, the company confirmed that it “mistakenly” pushed the 4.3MB update to consumers and that it was just an internal test patch that was supposed to be available only for its own PCs.

Microsoft tight-lipped despite so many worries
Microsoft hasn't detailed the release of this test update too much beside the fact that it was an accidental patch rollout, so there still are plenty of users out there who believe that their laptops and PCs were compromised.

“We had the update repeatedly show up as available and repeatedly it failed (never blindly accept updates. However seems to have gone, but we NEED to know what it was. Has the laptop been compromised? Just a short answer will do,” one user wrote on the company's Community forums.

So no, you're computer hasn't been compromised and you're as safe as before this patch, so just ignore it and you should be all fine.

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Just did a full format of all my drives yesterday (maintenance reasons) and reinstalled Windows 7. I had hundreds of updates, none of which looks like this one. I always gives the updates a quick look through. I would have noticed something like this. Everyone would. lol I could just be that I installed all the updates in such a timely manner that they removed the update. For other with Windows 7 already installed, they probably removed it before you turned on your computer, came out of sleep mode, or manually had it look for updates.

Well now Microsoft knows they can turn off our updates with an alien named update. Check that one of the list.

Reactions: frogboy
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.