App Review Microsoft Security Essentials 4.5 (Manzaitest)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

MikeV

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 9, 2013
MSE is far away from the top AVs.
Microsoft needs a lot of work to make it stand next to 360, Avast,Avira,AVG.

Personal experience:
  • Fast system start up
  • Very good clean up of malware WHEN and IF MSE catches them, however the cleaning might be slow.
  • Not the lightest AV on system performance (360 & Avast are the best free AV in this case).
  • MSE works better with Internet Explorer and smart screen filter

The most weird think I've ever experienced:
MSE saved my girlfriend's laptop from a TDSS rootkit while Kaspersky TDSS Killer found NOTHING :eek:

Once more awesome review my friend!!!
Keep on rockin' ;)

Striker

Level 7
Verified
Mar 27, 2013
mse is way behind other avs. only signatures no proactive or any other module that warns u when no signature is avaiable.like 10 years ago. i thing microsoft just dont want to improve it. if they realy want they can just make the best av for windows but all the big av vendors would loose so much money or even there whole business that microsoft just have no choice to make it like a top av.

FreddyFreeloader

Level 32
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 23, 2013
It ain't how many signatures 'ya got, it's which ones.
Let us
imagine that Product A detects 99% of malware samples in the test, but that the 1% of samples not
detected are very widespread, and that the average user is quite likely to encounter them. Product B,
on the other hand, only detects 98% of samples, but the samples missed are either not as prevalent,
or only run on a specific operating system. In this case, users would probably be more at risk using
Product A, as it misses more of the malware that is likely to present a threat to them.
http://www.av-comparatives.info/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/avc_prevalence_201403_en.pdf

FreddyFreeloader

Level 32
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 23, 2013
MSE is far away from the top AVs.
Microsoft needs a lot of work to make it stand next to 360, Avast,Avira,AVG.

Personal experience:
  • Fast system start up
  • Very good clean up of malware WHEN and IF MSE catches them, however the cleaning might be slow.
  • Not the lightest AV on system performance (360 & Avast are the best free AV in this case).
  • MSE works better with Internet Explorer and smart screen filter

The most weird think I've ever experienced:
MSE saved my girlfriend's laptop from a TDSS rootkit while Kaspersky TDSS Killer found NOTHING :eek:

Once more awesome review my friend!!!
Keep on rockin' ;)
That was MSE using prevalence based signatures.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.